Boosting a non-factory boosted car - Boost Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Boosting a non-factory boosted car
Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:02 AM
What do you guys think of this? Are there a ton of headaches that go along with it? I guess what I'm asking is: Can a boosted car (turbo or blower) be as reliable as that same car but without the boost?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265283
I love being premium!

Re: Boosting a non-factory boosted car
Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:12 AM
No
Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:16 AM
Chris Mackinlay wrote:Are there a ton of headaches that go along with it? I guess what I'm asking is: Can a boosted car (turbo or blower) be as reliable as that same car but without the boost?

Well, a ton of headaches...... NO............

installing it, FUN stuff...... Drivin it..... FUN stuff........

extra maintainance..... only if the tune isn't good......

reliable..... YES...... if you have a good tune............. My car last summer.... out of 6 months, never got towed, and never broke down while turbo.

It missed 3 days of the 6 months.....

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:18 AM
By adding a turbo, supercharger or anything that adds dramatic HP your compromising your engines life......the cooler and less active a motor is.....the longer it will last...throw a turbo on it and you will most likely blow a stock N/A motor. There is a reason for forged internals.....I would consider that operation to be a serious head-ache...Youll bleed your wallet dry trying to make sure that your connecting rods are forged....forged aluminum pistons, good crank and connecting rod bearings....Ignition, fuel pump, injectors...and computer settings......All of this have to be taken into account when you boost a car. Thats why I would just buy a stock turbo car......All the work is done for you and you can MOD the turbo motor.....add intercooler, boost controller, BOV (if not equipped) and have fun from there....
Saturday, March 18, 2006 12:13 PM
don't let anyone tell you that boosting a J-body doesn't involve a ton of headaches. Because no matter how well your install goes, it is still one long headache. I've had one turbo J myself, worked on others, and been around the forums forever. Hell, my current Cavalier never even got boosted and it was a headache and a half every week something new. Best of luck in your progess but expect to pay to play.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Saturday, March 18, 2006 9:45 PM
No, there are not a ton of headaches with turboing a non-turbo vehicle but you should get some forged pistons and some larger injectors, which would depend on the engine that you have. I would go turbo rather than supercharger because a turbo is drivin by gas where a supercharger is belt drivin so a turbo is usually the best bet. You don't have to get forged pistons but I would get them just to be safe because once you get a taste of boost you will want more and if you had the pistons in there already you would just need to add more fuel and turn the boost up.

-Paul
Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:54 PM
So much ridiculous misinformation.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Saturday, March 18, 2006 11:28 PM
SunfighterGT wrote:So much ridiculous misinformation.

-Chris-

Tell me about it...

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, March 18, 2006 11:40 PM
Quote:

Feel free to elaborate.....

Thanks to all who responded.

I love being premium!
Sunday, March 19, 2006 12:07 AM
NJHK (The Turbo Negro) wrote:

-Chris-

Tell me about it...

x3

Oh and don't listen to Jordan...you have to remember he thinks his Sunbird is the @!#$ and that it can beat 5.0 Mustangs among other cars.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, March 19, 2006 12:17 AM
Chris Mackinlay wrote:
Quote:

Feel free to elaborate.....

Thanks to all who responded.

Hmm lets see...

jordan kruger wrote:throw a turbo on it and you will most likely blow a stock N/A motor.

It's funny how people say that you'll blow your motor when you turbo a car that came N/A yet how many people do you see doing this? And IF you see this happening, why does it happen? Most of the time if it happends, it's a fuel issue or something of that nature...not an actual part failure like a rod snapping. As long as you have common sense to know what the limits of your vehicle is and know how to take care of a turbo system in general, than you should no problems. It's people who want to hook up a turbo setup and not use an intercooler or people who want to slap on a turbo and turn it up to 20 psi on stock internals or people who just plainly use incredibley cheap parts and have lack of neccessary parts that have major issues.

jordan kruger wrote:There is a reason for forged internals.....I would consider that operation to be a serious head-ache...Youll bleed your wallet dry trying to make sure that your connecting rods are forged....forged aluminum pistons, good crank and connecting rod bearings....Ignition, fuel pump, injectors...and computer settings......All of this have to be taken into account when you boost a car. Thats why I would just buy a stock turbo car......

This is incredibley hypocritical. First of all, do you think that every turbo car comes with some top quality, strong forged pistons like a set of Wisecos or JE pistons? No. I say it's hypocritical because this is coming from someone who has a Turbo Sunbird who I am willing to bet my STOCK bottom end is either just as strong or even stronger than his "stock turbo motor". I also say it's hypocritical because I know that he doesn't have everything in his car that he just listed yet I'm sure his Sunbird runs completely fine, right?

Cavy2nEv wrote: you should get some forged pistons and some larger injectors, which would depend on the engine that you have.

Actually whether you should get Forged Pistons really depends on the power levels you're aiming for. If you're running a 5 PSI wastegate, there shouldn't be a neccessity of getting forged pistons.

Also, don't just single out the pistons...the rods are just as important.

Cavy2Env wrote:I would go turbo rather than supercharger because a turbo is drivin by gas where a supercharger is belt drivin so a turbo is usually the best bet.

Whether you go Supercharged or Turbocharged is all preference. There is no better or worse because different people have different goals and different level of satisfaction. Some people like Superchargers, some people don't.

Overall I have to say this...

There could be headaches, it's all in how you're setup, what parts you use etc etc etc. S**t happends, maybe something fails, gotta replace it. Maybe something comes loose, gotta tighten it. Everything is circumstancial, nothing is guaranteed to happen. My suggestion is get EVERYTHING you need before you start to do a custom setup or look into a good turbo kit. Also, do tons of research...I mean, search on the org, make friends with people who have turbos, make friends with people who know what they are talking about and have experience with it and ask lots of questions...there is no such thing as a stupid question.

That's all I have to say...

Sunday, March 19, 2006 12:18 AM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:
NJHK (The Turbo Negro) wrote:

-Chris-

Tell me about it...

x3

Oh and don't listen to Jordan...you have to remember he thinks his Sunbird is the @!#$ and that it can beat 5.0 Mustangs among other cars.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 7:20 AM
clearly, any sunbird (with turbo) is faster than ANY 5.0

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Sunday, March 19, 2006 8:55 AM
ge_forcez22 wrote:clearly, any sunbird (with turbo) is faster than ANY 5.0

Clearly WRONG.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:02 AM
I really really really hope we are both being super sarcastic, , I was totally making fun of buddy... hehe

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Sunday, March 19, 2006 10:30 AM
Well my opinion is a factory boosted car can be just as reliable as a modified boosted car. It all comes down to how realistic your goals are. For instance take me: I have a stock ECOTEC with the GM Blower. I'm pretty sure that this car will see a very long life assuming I don't do anything stupid to it. As long as I maintain my car the way that I should there shouldn't be any problems. Just as it would be with a factory boosted car. if you don't maintain it properly you could have just as many problems as a car that was modified to be boosted. Or if you just want to go a cheap route try to run as much boost as possible with out taking anything else into consideration, then I would say good luck because you are just asking for trouble. Play it smart, learn from others experiences, and if you want reliability I would suggest taking proven routes like a GM Charger or a Hahn turbo for instance. Good luck with the path you choose and just play it smart.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 10:33 AM
I love my car......you guys think so highly of your cavaliers and sunfires......yet neither have ever come close to beating me.....Ive beat enough 5.0 mustangs to say I can beat them.....they are quick but a little over-rated......they make more sound than speed.... as for sunfires and cavaliers + their drivers = cocky with no background on the Lt3 motor.....I had a mechanic (my buddy) at lake performance racing.....do me up a head when my other one cracked and warped due to heat.......my car now has 220hp and 215 ftps of torque at 10psi.....trust me. 5.0 mustangs arent fast when your in my car haha.
Sunday, March 19, 2006 10:53 AM
jordan kruger wrote:I love my car......you guys think so highly of your cavaliers and sunfires......yet neither have ever come close to beating me.....Ive beat enough 5.0 mustangs to say I can beat them.....they are quick but a little over-rated......they make more sound than speed.... as for sunfires and cavaliers + their drivers = cocky with no background on the Lt3 motor.....I had a mechanic (my buddy) at lake performance racing.....do me up a head when my other one cracked and warped due to heat.......my car now has 220hp and 215 ftps of torque at 10psi.....trust me. 5.0 mustangs arent fast when your in my car haha.

Most of us eco guys are doing what you do on about 3 pounds less. Ive heard about you and i think its all true. 220hp and 215 aint bad numbers but nothing special i mean what are you in the 13's like high 13's. Big deal congratulation.

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Sunday, March 19, 2006 11:17 AM
jordan kruger wrote:I love my car......you guys think so highly of your cavaliers and sunfires......yet neither have ever come close to beating me.....Ive beat enough 5.0 mustangs to say I can beat them.....they are quick but a little over-rated......they make more sound than speed.... as for sunfires and cavaliers + their drivers = cocky with no background on the Lt3 motor.....I had a mechanic (my buddy) at lake performance racing.....do me up a head when my other one cracked and warped due to heat.......my car now has 220hp and 215 ftps of torque at 10psi.....trust me. 5.0 mustangs arent fast when your in my car haha.

congratulations on beating high 14 sec cars.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Sunday, March 19, 2006 11:30 AM
jordan kruger wrote:I love my car......you guys think so highly of your cavaliers and sunfires......yet neither have ever come close to beating me.....

another stupid comment from the worlds fastest sunbird owner................

I got one word.....

HA

HA.....

oh and .....

wanna race...... you have 220hp ??? with a ported head......... and 10psi......THATS HORRIBLE........

HAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHA

I have completely stock internaled CAVALIER with more WHP then you on less PSI then you, and I GUARANTEE I weigh alot less then you ................

haha

but OF COURSE the worlds fastest sunbird is going to SMOKE me..... you know because I drive a cavalier......

that must be it......

Hey jordan, you ever think about the fact that all those stangs you beat weren't really racing .................. and just laughing..... and keeping up to you because they aren't stupid and race on the streets.... hahahah

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Sunday, March 19, 2006 12:19 PM
Just because you pass them on the highway doesnt mean they're racing....

Sunday, March 19, 2006 12:53 PM
Quote:

215 ftps of torque

you mean ft/lb or lb-ft torque, sorry "215 feet per second" is not a valid measurement of power or torque

but yah if you can beat a 14 second car, thats awesome, but still, where is your dyno slips and track E.T's post some slips in this thread, prove to us your car is fast.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 2:10 PM
Okay guys, let's not fight about nothing.

I didn't mean to come across as a smart alec. I typed "feel free to elaborate" early this morning after a long day at work. If I did, I apoligize

It seemed like those above posts conflicted so that's why I was asking. Keep the thoughts coming, but please don't turn my thread into a vs forum.

I love being premium!
Sunday, March 19, 2006 5:39 PM

Well Mr. ImSoFast in my Sunbird. I'm still waiting for you reply to my last challenge to race. Your car is so fast that I'm scared but I'm willing to risk $500 on the race anyways.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 8:07 PM
Hell I'll even race lol. I mean to be totally honest I've raced my fair share of 5.0 mustangs as well. And actually most of the "stock" 5.0 stangs that I ran in the later years before switching to the 4.6 where in the 15's. So really a stock ECO can hold its own against a 5.0 stang. I beat out a late 80's vette at the track on a heads up run but I'm not going to say I can beat out all vettes now. Hell that new Z06 505 hp vette made me feel like I was sitting still.

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search