14b turbo? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
14b turbo?
Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:38 PM
gotta a friend who's parting out a turbo from his eclipse and he asked if i wanted to buy it. from what i was told he would sell me the turbo, downpipe and some other stuff along with it for $100. but from what a read the 16g would be the one that would work best for my 2.4. so what do ya'll think should i run with this deal or should i just wait until i'm able to afford the j-tuners kit.

Re: 14b turbo?
Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:00 PM
Too small, and you wouldn't be able to use the downpipe anyway.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, March 17, 2006 9:09 AM
yea thats what i was thinkin when he first said 14b. thought i'd just throw it out there anyway.
Saturday, March 18, 2006 3:52 AM
16g is one of the turbo's that they put on the sunbird turbo if i remember correctly. and yes they are too small. go with a garrett t3-4 hybrid they are pretty good from what i hear

if only closed minds came with closed mouths
CHAOS PANIC AND DISORDER MY WORK HERE IS DONE
"if it don't fit smack it with a hammer
if it still don't fit smack it with a bigger hammer"
Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:59 AM
14b only if it was free. It seems to be hard to find any 14b's in good condition.

16G is NOT too small. It's a very nice sized turbo for our cars and will support up to 350whp easily.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 12:16 PM
The sunbird didn't have a 16g. In fact, I believe it was more along the lines of a T25... if even that big.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, March 19, 2006 12:27 PM
so whats a good size for a 2.4 then?

RESPECT A MAN"S RIDE AND HE WILL RESPECT YOU.
Sunday, March 19, 2006 1:13 PM
Garrett T/3T/4 Hybrid man. Perfect size in my opinion. My car should be comin out within the next few weeks so i'll be able to give you better personal opinions. Are you planning on a rebuild or are you just turbo'n stock internals? I recommend a rebuild if you are planning on running over 8psi.....
Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:28 PM
Perfect size in your OPINION? And your car isn't even running and you haven't even seen how it performs?

Care to show us the math and compressor maps to back up your "opinion" or is it just complete BS like most of the info in this forum?

Your opinion doesn't mean crap all until you can show a compressor map proving that in fact a T3/04e hybrid is the best choice. On top of that you didn't state A/Rs or wheel trims.

Great advice you gave him. Bang on. Complete garbage.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, March 20, 2006 3:31 PM
If you can get the 14b for under $25 then it wouldn't be that bad.
Saturday, January 20, 2007 3:41 PM
Old post, brought back from the dead, but isnt this the same size turbo that the ecotec guys are running on the Saab set up?

Sunday, January 21, 2007 3:06 AM
you could use the downpipe if you bought or made a custom manifold to go with the exhaust housing. and dont let people tell you its too small, haha. there are a crap load of turbo cavis on this site, and i gurantee you more than half of them couldnt even pull the full power out of a 14b. a 14b turbo is a GREAT turbo. there is a fwd dsm in the 10's on a 14b turbo. yea it will be easier to go faster on a bigger one, but that turbo is great.
Sunday, January 21, 2007 8:47 AM
Kyle Kurtz wrote:...there is a fwd dsm in the 10's on a 14b turbo...

Link to said 10 sec. 14b powered dsm?

Sunday, January 21, 2007 9:15 AM
well the only reason im considering it is becuase nobody complains about the Saab stuff and the turbo being too small and i am just assuming that they are around the same size....thats just me assuming though, i was really looking for a comparasion between the sizes of the saab one and the 14b.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 4:15 PM
anyone??

Sunday, January 21, 2007 5:23 PM
I *think* the saab turbo is a t3.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 5:45 PM
Ehh im not sure, one of the compressor housings reads TDO4L-14T.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 11:11 PM
FstCavZ24 (M62 ECO) wrote:
Kyle Kurtz wrote:...there is a fwd dsm in the 10's on a 14b turbo...

Link to said 10 sec. 14b powered dsm?

here you go, this guys site. http://www.joebucci.com/

this is a budget built car, stock bottom end, basically stock motor has cams and head studs and a couple other little things. best time of 10.6, i think he had a 10.8 best without nitrous, im not posative read the site. and all of this on a 14b turbo. so dont let anyone tell you a 14b is too small especially if they dont even know what your looking for as far as performance. they are obviously not educated well enough on what this turbo can do. im not saying its the best turbo in the world by any means, i would obviously be running one if i thought so haha. but im willing to bet it is all you need for what you want. could be wrong though.
Monday, January 22, 2007 12:56 AM
and to give you a little more insight on what that turbo is capeable of, there is a video floating around of one making 412 whp on a dyno. just another good example of what it can put out. ill look for it.
Monday, January 22, 2007 2:03 AM
Kyle, You need to understand one thing. Any turbo are big enough for sure but when you start pushing them too much, you have heat and you have stress on the turbo. It's better to go with a bit bigger and keep it cool than overstressing the little turbo and having more heat than the atomic bomb.

Also, CFM is the key, PSI is just a measure of pressure. I'd rather run 5psi with a T3/T04E with a cooler charge than 20psi on the little turbo.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Monday, January 22, 2007 8:08 AM
Does anyone know the size comparasoin between the Saab TDO4L-14T and the DSM 14b...both mitsu turbos i just wanna know how they compare in size.

Monday, January 22, 2007 9:40 AM
TDO4L-14T? I've got the compressor maps for just about any Mitsubishi turbo you could think of, but I've never heard of that one. With the 14- series, you basically have the choice of the TD05-14B, or the TD05-14G. The 14B was used on the DSMs, early EVO, and Galant VR4. It's got a somewhat small compressor map compared to the T3 and T4 you'll find to be so popular. Now the 14B is a bit small if you're looking for big numbers. If what you want is a fast spool and a decent gain jsut for daily driving, the 14B will work, but in terms of Mitsubishi turbos are concerned, the 16G is a far better choice. Still not as much flow in terms of CFM as the typical T3 that you hear about here, but still big enough to provide plenty of power without placing too much stress on the turbo.

Monday, January 22, 2007 10:03 AM
Im looking to compare this somewhat of a called junkyard kit to the saab oem stuff. I want around the same spool and the same power numbers. Im not looking for huge numbers i just want a reliable power w/ a max of 230 w/o and engine build. I would prefer not to build the motor just yet and i will be using the gm s/c reflash for tuning. So all in all im looking for a motor to produce around 220-230 horsepower with out replacing any of the internals and will be using the reflash for the tune. The motor has 90k on it, how reliable am i looking or should i do teh rebuild?

Monday, January 22, 2007 10:26 AM
If the compression is good then you should be okay as far as rings and valves are concerned, but it really depends on how well the motor has been taken care of. Me personally, I'd put in stronger internals to be on the safe side, but many have gotten away with those kinds of numbers on stock internals.

For 230hp, I wouldn't recommend the 14B. I've been developing a custom kit for the LN2 using a 14B, with a target of around 180-200HP, and I know I'd be coming very close to the limits of the turbo. But I'm also more interested in quick response rather than big power. For your goals, if you want to stick with a Mitsubishi turbo, I'd seriously recommend a 16G. It's a tad less responsive than a 14B, but it will be less peaky given the larger compressor and turbine housings. Full boost will start to set in a bit higher in the RPMs compared to the 14B, probably around 3000 RPM, which will be a bit easier on the motor as well as the rest of the driveline.

Monday, January 22, 2007 10:29 AM
ok, thank you very much for the req.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search