38mm waste gate to small? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
38mm waste gate to small?
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:41 PM
ok well i got my car out tonight and i gave her @!#$ and all i can say is i went way past the wast gate spring limit... And i know its hooked up and working because right now its still a open dump waste gate and its louder then hell (soon to be welded into the exhaust)

now the only things i can think of it the vacuum line going it is could be to small?

the wate gate just cant vent enough?

or the guy i bought this kit from had NO CLUE what springs he had in? but from what i remember bother were the same size (diameter wise) and so that means there were only 1.875" O.D and i have a Green one and i think the other one was a red one and the red one is in right now so that means i should only see about 5.8-6psi of boost... but say for some reason i got mixed up and it was the small blue one... still only says on Tials side it would be 8.7psi... now i know its not blue but just for argument sake cuz i am %98 sure they were both the same diameter, but i was getting like 10psi easy....

any thoughs?

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno

Re: 38mm waste gate to small?
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:48 PM
Josh where are you getting signal from? and what size line are you using? If you dont know the spring psi exactly do yourself a favor and buy yourself a different one. Check your other thread i asked you some quick q's that im sure you can answer in about 2 min thanks buddy i hope to go the same route

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:51 PM
i think the line going to it is 1/4" stuff... should i go bigger if it is?

and i can easly find out what spring rate it is... Tial has the O.D size and colour on it saying what psi its rated for but none of the ones i have say 10psi and thats what i was getting to im sure of it... but i can tell i was going very lean... i only have power up till 6psi range then i just dont get any thing

silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 5:11 PM
any one else ?

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 5:20 PM
well to answer your question .....

38mm wastegate too small........

probably not .................... but I do see some HIGH HP cars run 2- 38mm wastegates..........

like this evo I saw..........................

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:04 PM
well see im only running 6psi spring... and i know other jbodys if not all are using a 38mm... so i dont think its to small but i dont know why im getting like 10+psi of boost...

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:12 PM
ok Josh there is a BIG spring and a LITTLE spinrg,, big reds, and small reds...

if you have a tial wastegate the TOP barb MUST be left untouched, the signal line goes to the bottom barb... the top barb is for venting...

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:12 PM
if need be I can take a pic of my small red spring I have laying around for you..q

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 8:13 PM
yea Tial has the O.D size of the Big and small ones... and they are both small i believe... so i shouldnt be getting over 10psi with any of them as none of the small ones give you that ...

the top barb is all open... only the bottom one is pluged in too... im going to take the spring out and double check though when i get a free minute

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 8:15 PM
Josh F wrote:yea Tial has the O.D size of the Big and small ones... and they are both small i believe... so i shouldnt be getting over 10psi with any of them as none of the small ones give you that ...

the top barb is all open... only the bottom one is pluged in too... im going to take the spring out and double check though when i get a free minute

the small yellow I believe is 11 psi... I have the small blue in now which is 8.7 psi and the next step up is 9.8 I think... and I think there is one more above that before the big ones come into play

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, February 16, 2006 5:17 AM
Josh F wrote:or the guy i bought this kit from had NO CLUE what springs he had in? but from what i remember bother were the same size (diameter wise) and so that means there were only 1.875" O.D and i have a Green one and i think the other one was a red one and the red one is in right now so that means i should only see about 5.8-6psi of boost... but say for some reason i got mixed up and it was the small blue one... still only says on Tials side it would be 8.7psi... now i know its not blue but just for argument sake cuz i am %98 sure they were both the same diameter, but i was getting like 10psi easy....

any thoughs?

i gave you a 10lb spring (was in the gate when you got it) and a 6lb spring, if you are hitting 10lbs with one then you oviously have the 10lb spring in still, or you have it hooked up wrong, i know what size springs they were i had the 6lb spring in my car for a month or 2 and i ordered a 10lb spring from cubed and used it in the rest of the summer, im not a @!#$ idiot i actualy knew what i was doing with my car, so maby you should shut the @!#$ up and quit trying to make me sound like an idiot just because you don't know wtf your doing...

Thursday, February 16, 2006 5:30 PM
well i wont even get into the details on the kit but it was a HACK job all around... nothing fit properly i dont even want to know how bad the internals of you engine are with out running a filter as i took the turbo apart and looked and saw tones of tiny kicks all over... i felt so bad selling that turbo to the guy but i did it any way, the exhaust doesnt even fit properly every bump i hear BANG BANG and i have not even lowerd my car and its on the stiffest setting the konis go..... did you even think about getting bolts in when you welded stuff up? cuz NONE of the manifold bolts went in properly... man you have no idea how much @!#$ this kit took to get on...

and if you say the 10lbs one was in the waste gate when i bought it then the 6lbs one is in now... and how come im hitting 13-14psi of boost today?

oh and another thing... i even have the email still.. you didnt even know what size of waste gate it was.. you told me it was a 35mm waste gate.. is there even such thing?

so i suggest you keep quiet as i know for sure i got @!#$ ripped off buying this kit...

Thursday, February 16, 2006 5:43 PM
oh and one more thing derek... NO you did not give me a 10lbs spring... i have the Green one that was in the waste gate when i bought it and im looking at the Tial site... they said the Small green is for 7.2psi of boost.... and yours is the small spring so dont even try to say i dont know what im talking about

Thursday, February 16, 2006 6:23 PM
its a 35mm wastegate......with a 6 and 10 psi spring.
Thursday, February 16, 2006 6:25 PM
did u try and use stock manifold bolts?
Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:05 PM
Josh F wrote:well i wont even get into the details on the kit but it was a HACK job all around... nothing fit properly i dont even want to know how bad the internals of you engine are with out running a filter as i took the turbo apart and looked and saw tones of tiny kicks all over... i felt so bad selling that turbo to the guy but i did it any way, the exhaust doesnt even fit properly every bump i hear BANG BANG and i have not even lowerd my car and its on the stiffest setting the konis go..... did you even think about getting bolts in when you welded stuff up? cuz NONE of the manifold bolts went in properly... man you have no idea how much @!#$ this kit took to get on...

and if you say the 10lbs one was in the waste gate when i bought it then the 6lbs one is in now... and how come im hitting 13-14psi of boost today?

oh and another thing... i even have the email still.. you didnt even know what size of waste gate it was.. you told me it was a 35mm waste gate.. is there even such thing?

so i suggest you keep quiet as i know for sure i got @!#$ ripped off buying this kit...

I can COMPLETELY rouch for Josh.... I have some other pics no one else has seen on this site...... I kept in touch with Josh through this project because I actually cared to see him succeed. and he did....... with no help of that hack/ half ass job turbo set up that was on your car ......derek......... I thought your car was sick... looks awesome ....... but when I was told of this news... I didn't believe it .... when I saw pics..... DAMN....

sorry to even get in this, but Josh KNOWS whats he's talking about more then you do about YOUR OLD KIT..............

I just hate to see the good guy get made out to be anything else....

keep up the work Josh.... I'm sure you'll get everything figured out...

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:55 PM
Josh F wrote:

Reasone for hitting 13-14 psi.

A) Hooked up wrong

or / and

B) You're running a supercharger and a turbo.....

Yes there is such a thing as 35mm wastegates, i have one on my car.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 8:12 PM
well i wasn't sure hence why i said "is there even such thing" but i can not seem to find it any where... tial only shows 38mm ones...

how would the s/c'er effect it? (not trying to be a smart ass though) the waste gate is getting its signal from the boost going into the engine... so after the turbo and after the supercharger... so it shouldn't matter...

russ... i tried using the bolts that came with the kit... i tried using all the stock manifold bolts and both ways did not work.. i ended up using a mix of hex head, Allen head and stock manifold bolts... a properly made manifold would have SMALL welds for starters so you can actually get the head of the bolt flush on the flange and would have a grove cut or dented into the runners so you can actually get a wrench/socket on it...

also more reason as to why this was such a hack/half ass job... why in gods name would you GLUE the vacuum line to the blow off valve?

why would you tap the drain line into the oil pan right behind the baffle? and then cut off the top section off the elbow when it had a hose adapter on it?

why would you make the welds so chunky on the exhaust (and manifold but i already talked about that) to the point you cant even turn the damn bolts?

why would you use 2" from the turbo to the intercooler and 2.5" from the intercooler to the TB..? if you knew any thing you would at very least do it 2.5" from the turbo to the IC then 2" from the IC to the TB...

man i could go on and on about how bad this kit was.. thats not even the start to all of it.. what it came down to is i got @!#$ over and yes its my fault for not checking it over first but i THOUGHT that russ and derek new what they were doing as they liked to brag and make it seem like they know every thing there is...

Thursday, February 16, 2006 8:12 PM
any way back to my post... do you think it could be that the waste gate is too small? and isnt able to vent off enough?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search