Getting away with a non CARB boost in California - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getting away with a non CARB boost in California
Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:32 PM
So the thought of boost is just to resisting, and well the Gm supercharger is cool and all but i would like to be able to run boost of around town or when the missus drives the car. So my question is if a put a Hahn kit on my car, what will happen to me in california. I know if i get pulled over and the officer checks my car it gets impunded, but what about just smog, or if i dont get pulled over. Bascially if i dont get pulled over can i get away witht his. Thanks

Re: Getting away with a non CARB boost in Californ
Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:35 PM
if you get tested with a non-approved part i believe its huge fines and impounding then too. not worth the risk.

also why dont you just google this and do a little research yourself? be the best way to go the needed info.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, February 12, 2006 8:07 PM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:if you get tested with a non-approved part i believe its huge fines and impounding then too. not worth the risk.

also why dont you just google this and do a little research yourself? be the best way to go the needed info.

Geez, totally incorrect.

The shop that you get smogged at does a visual inspection. If you have a turbo on that is not stock. You fail. You lose your 50 smog check fee. Some shops might overlook "some" things.

I would ask chad fstcavz24 he has been through it before.

I think most people pull all the non-carb parts before they get their smog check.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:13 PM
I got pulled over and my hood popped. Instant modified smog equipment ticket, sent to ref, and fined. It sucks, but you gotta pay to play in Cali w illegal parts. They don't impound for the first few tickets.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:21 PM
eh, Sunfires... (Tom) wrote:
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:if you get tested with a non-approved part i believe its huge fines and impounding then too. not worth the risk.

Geez, totally incorrect.

The shop that you get smogged at does a visual inspection. If you have a turbo on that is not stock. You fail. You lose your 50 smog check fee. Some shops might overlook "some" things.

I would ask chad fstcavz24 he has been through it before.

I think most people pull all the non-carb parts before they get their smog check.

Wow...total @!#$. What a shocker. There was a reason I said I believe and why not check for yourself. I wasn't 100% sure, just going off what I had heard in the past.

Oh and please show me where I was totally incorrect if you don't mind. I don't see anything that you, or Chad, said that proves me "totally incorrect." Until then take your attitude and shove it.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:21 PM
I would think that if you dont do anything to draw attention to you by the cops (like loud exhaust, underbodies and hell some cops pull you over in california if you got a body kit because they call it probable cause) So if one could put the turbo on and basically have it look stock (and you get a hook up at smog station) you shouldnt really have a problem.
Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:24 PM
Testing w a illegal part doesn't get you huge fines. Being caught by the cops does.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:36 PM
OK...thank you for clearing that up. Now why couldn't that have been said by Tom? That's right...he just wanted to be an ass in a reply to me again.

Again thanks for he 411 Chad. Any other info you know off the top of your head? If so post it...I MIGHT be moving out Cali way if a few things fall into place so I want to know what I might be in for.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:37 PM
If you like modifying cars stay far away from Cali.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:42 PM
LOL. Well I was given the opportunity to apply for a job getting paid to modify and race cars. Don't want to say the company and jinx anything but if it goes through it would be a dream come true to have this job.

Just hoping I don't have to lock the cavy away once I get there. You know of any exemptions for out of state built cars? Because I can do anything here in IL as long as the ECU is clean of codes and I love that.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:44 PM
^^^That about sums it up. It sucks being out here in Cali

Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:46 PM
See it's nice to have Cali people on here. I did a little researching and couldn't find anything about bringing in cars from out of state...so hopefully you all know something.

Monday, February 13, 2006 3:07 PM
oh I'm totally screwed unless I get the charger haha.

Which I'm gonna go for anyways >.>

Monday, February 13, 2006 5:41 PM
I <3 hypsy

All I said was that you were wrong/ or totally incorrect. You tell me where you were right and I'll apologize for being "assinine." lol

I don't think you'll have a big problem in california, with your car. As long as it looks stock and doesn't attract unwanted attention.

Also, smogging your car would be a pain, unless you knew someone that could "overlook" the hair dryer.

Monday, February 13, 2006 8:10 PM
i lived in cali most of my life , its a great place , very HIGH cost of living

and CARB sucks ass , but my el camino was atleastemissions exempt there

you could prob get away with anything in cali , unless you fit the profile , or your car stands out like a sore thumb

but you get pulled over and its more the cop and the fines you gotta worry about

wether it passes tail pipe emissions or not , the stations will fail you for just having a small filter on the cam cover , even if all the other parts have CARB approval , or is stock other wise

also even with a CARB approved part you can fail emissions still , if they test at the tail pipe , and like everyone else they will blame the aftermarket part first

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search