Turbo XS dual stage boost controller - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo XS dual stage boost controller
Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:01 AM
I was wondering if anyone is running their turbo setup with the Turbo XS dual stage boost controller? I want something that i can switch back and forth from a daily drive boost to a track setting without getting out of the car. If you can give me some pros and cons or even another type of controller in the same price range.

Re: Turbo XS dual stage boost controller
Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:11 AM
go greddy profecspec b boost controller is all electronic and is adjustability is at the touch of a button.

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:50 AM
^^^ that is a nice one... but the price is nowhere near the one he mentioned

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional."
Sunday, February 12, 2006 11:51 AM
i had it....was good until i wanted to run 16PSI and the stupid thing let the boost leak out at high RPM. im going profec B...i prefer to have my boost for the whole run

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, February 12, 2006 11:52 AM
Yea i know. I can get the Turbo xs for about 120.00. The Greddy is around like 250-270 range. I might just go with the Turbo XS.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 12:35 PM
I'll sell you my old one. It's just sitting in a box right now. I can't use something that I don't trust so it's no longer on the car.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 12:50 PM
What do you mean you can't trust it?

Sunday, February 12, 2006 3:19 PM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:I'll sell you my old one. It's just sitting in a box right now. I can't use something that I don't trust so it's no longer on the car.

lol, So you don't trust it on your car because it leaks boost pressure. But you're willing to sell it to someone else to use it on their setup.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 3:46 PM
yeah...it leaked on me so i dont trust it. I didn't say the controller was bad.

he apparently likes the controller though so he might want one a little cheaper...I just don't like how it didn't hold boost on the top end. Matter of fact thats a very common thing for MBCs...exactly why I'm switching to a EBC.

I'm never going to get my 11 if the boost controller wont hold 15-20PSI.

Monday, February 13, 2006 5:51 PM
Quote:

i had it....was good until i wanted to run 16PSI and the stupid thing let the boost leak out at high RPM. im going profec B...i prefer to have my boost for the whole run

i have it and i love it.. got it from aaron at turbo tech.

are you sure its not because the stock internal wastegate isnt able to sustain that kind of boost levels? im sure if u started out with a 15psi waste gate you wouldnt have the problem.

Monday, February 13, 2006 8:17 PM
it's not singly from the wastegate. while i don't doubt that has some effect i know the boost controller isnt holding like i would like up top. Maybe I'll give it a second chance though.

Monday, February 13, 2006 10:06 PM
John H [Cavalierkid wrote:] if u started out with a 15psi waste gate you wouldnt have the problem.
no ish
But then he wouldn't have a need for the dual-stage boost controller would he?

Honestly, I could never shell out the money for a boost controller, especially a dual-stage. Seriously, who's going to have a taste of the 'high boost' and still turn it back down? Besides, it's easier just to tune for one boost level.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Monday, February 13, 2006 11:23 PM
Quote:

no ish
But then he wouldn't have a need for the dual-stage boost controller would he?

Honestly, I could never shell out the money for a boost controller, especially a dual-stage. Seriously, who's going to have a taste of the 'high boost' and still turn it back down? Besides, it's easier just to tune for one boost level

are you joking? its would be easier to only launch in 8 or 10psi then say 20. or if your planning like me, running one setting on pump fuel, then having a higher setting on race fuel.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:55 AM
I too run 2 settings STILL. I love launching at 8PSI and then kicking to 15 once i hit 2nd or 3rd gear. So much easier to get a hard, fast launch on 8PSI without spinning.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:39 PM
John H [Cavalierkid wrote:]are you joking? its would be easier to only launch in 8 or 10psi then say 20. or if your planning like me, running one setting on pump fuel, then having a higher setting on race fuel.
How is he supposed to launch on 8 psi with that 15psi waste gate you suggested? You do understand a boost controller can not lower your boost, right?

Anyway, I'm a proponent of throttle control myself lol.

fortune cookie say:
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 10:00 PM
apexi avc boost dependent on gearing why not choose this? although it is around 400 bucks i am seriously contemplating this after my rebuild

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 1:09 AM
Quote:

How is he supposed to launch on 8 psi with that 15psi waste gate you suggested? You do understand a boost controller can not lower your boost, right?

i know how a boost controller works. i used that as example to your response

Quote:

Honestly, I could never shell out the money for a boost controller, especially a dual-stage. Seriously, who's going to have a taste of the 'high boost' and still turn it back down? Besides, it's easier just to tune for one boost level

even with the 15psi spring.. it would be nice to run 15psi or so. and be able to switch to 25. cuz i dount u want to drive around on race fuel on 25psi all the time.

Quote:

Anyway, I'm a proponent of throttle control myself lol

to each their own.. thats like leaving a nitrous on in 1st, but no putting alot of pressure on the throttle so all the power isnt made... it would be more logical to just not to use it in 1st.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 3:14 AM
Respooled2k3 wrote:go greddy profecspec b boost controller is all electronic and is adjustability is at the touch of a button.

you still can have a button that switches between the 2. im not sure but im pretty sure you tune for the higher boost and then ur rich on your daily drive. but as far as leaking, TurboXS is a good product but is notorious for leaks @ high boost...how much you wanna run and if your not higher than 13psi id say ur ok but im not sure...dual stage is awesome tho, lauch on low boost when u stop spinnin hit the button and ur in high boost feels like nitrous but doesnt stop....

speed kills, drive slow, drive a honda

You are what you Drive!
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:01 AM
John H (Cavalierkid) wrote:even with the 15psi spring.. it would be nice to run 15psi or so. and be able to switch to 25. cuz i dount u want to drive around on race fuel on 25psi all the time.
But, if you're running a turbo that will efficiently boost 25psi, you're not spooling to probably about 3k under WOT. I don't know where you're from, but around here, that kind of acceleration on city streets is frowned upon by the black and whites.
What I'm saying is that you wouldn't be that far into your powerband during daily driving, hence, no need to run extreme octanes.

John H (Cavalierkid) wrote:
Quote:

Anyway, I'm a proponent of throttle control myself lol

to each their own.. thats like leaving a nitrous on in 1st, but no putting alot of pressure on the throttle so all the power isnt made... it would be more logical to just not to use it in 1st.

Sorry, I just don't see the analogy here.
It's more like running a lower shot if anything. If you're spraying, i doesn't matter how much throttle you're giving it, you still have the same amount of extra air and fuel entering the engine(negating effects of rising fuel pressure of course), so you will get the same amount of added power regardless (it's not regulated by the throttle). Besides, most people run a WOT switch anyway, and FWD cars rarely spray at the line due to traction issues.

fortune cookie say:
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:06 PM
Quote:

But, if you're running a turbo that will efficiently boost 25psi, you're not spooling to probably about 3k under WOT. besides, how often are u under 3k rpms when u race.. I don't know where you're from, but around here, that kind of acceleration on city streets is frowned upon by the black and whites
What I'm saying is that you wouldn't be that far into your powerband during daily driving, hence, no need to run extreme octanes.

3k is low for spool.. thats what im at full boost. as far as the other comment, i dont see how thats matters. i dont shift at 2k-2500 rpms every time i drive my car. wether its daily driving or not.. u cant pull back timing without a msd. so say your running 25psi cuz "theres no point in a dual stage controller" what happens if u decide to race? or get on it for that matter. unless your gonna carry race fuel in ur car all the time, it would be more logically to actually be able to race on pump fuel

Quote:

Sorry, I just don't see the analogy here.
It's more like running a lower shot if anything. If you're spraying, i doesn't matter how much throttle you're giving it, you still have the same amount of extra air and fuel entering the engine(negating effects of rising fuel pressure of course), so you will get the same amount of added power regardless (it's not regulated by the throttle). Besides, most people run a WOT switch anyway, and FWD cars rarely spray at the line due to traction issues.

ok but u cant change a the size of a nitrous shot durning the race unless ur running a dual stage or progressive setup. the WOT switch helps so u DONT have to use it in 1st so u DONT sping.. just like a boost controller with 2 settings.. since u cant "turn a turbo off" in 1st gear, it does the next best thing. limiting the amount of power until your out of 1st. or even 2nd if ur making alot of power.

ill see how my turbo xs does on higher boost. thought about upgrading to the profe b. (the $280 one not 500)

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:54 PM
John H (Cavalierkid) wrote:3k is low for spool.. thats what im at full boost.
But you're also still on the 16G correct? If I was going for an efficient design with 25psi, I sure wouldn't be on a 16G...
John H (Cavalierkid) wrote:u cant pull back timing without a msd.
when did timing come in? At those pressures, retarding timing instead of running proper fuel will just lead to melted exhaust valves as the exhaust temps would be so high.
John H (Cavalierkid) wrote:so say your running 25psi cuz "theres no point in a dual stage controller" what happens if u decide to race?
Well, I'm not into the whole 'street racing' thing, so I wouldn't have that problem. Besides, even at half throttle, you'd still be able to destroy most of the cars out there lol.
John H (Cavalierkid) wrote:ok but u cant change a the size of a nitrous shot durning the race unless ur running a dual stage or progressive setup. the WOT switch helps so u DONT have to use it in 1st so u DONT sping.. just like a boost controller with 2 settings.. since u cant "turn a turbo off" in 1st gear, it does the next best thing. limiting the amount of power until your out of 1st. or even 2nd if ur making alot of power.
I understand the nitrous stuff, I was just saying you were using a poor analogy earlier.
As far as the boost controller for a seperate launch pressure, I still say a pair of more controlled feet would do the same thing, and cheaper

Whatever, in the end it really just comes down to me being a cheapass, and not wanting to spend money on something that isn't 100% completely necessary.

fortune cookie say:

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:41 PM
Quote:

But you're also still on the 16G correct? If I was going for an efficient design with 25psi, I sure wouldn't be on a 16G...

hahn made it into the 11's in a full weight sunfire with a cage using the super 16g. it cant be that efficient

Quote:

when did timing come in? At those pressures, retarding timing instead of running proper fuel will just lead to melted exhaust valves as the exhaust temps would be so high

exactly why a dual stage would help. so u dont have to worry about that

Quote:

Whatever, in the end it really just comes down to me being a cheapass, and not wanting to spend money on something that isn't 100% completely necessary

haha i agree. but i got a good deal on mine. i picked it up quicker then a hunchback doin summer salts

Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:22 AM
John H [Cavalierkid) wrote:hahn made it into the 11's in a full weight sunfire with a cage using the super 16g. it cant be that efficient
I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that I wouldn't. And you said it not me, "it can't be that efficient".
I give you ECO spooling 25psi by 3000RPM:

John H [Cavalierkid) wrote:
Quote:

when did timing come in? At those pressures, retarding timing instead of running proper fuel will just lead to melted exhaust valves as the exhaust temps would be so high

exactly why a dual stage would help. so u dont have to worry about that
I was just saying timing shouldn't be used to those measures...

John H [Cavalierkid) wrote:i picked it up quicker then a hunchback doin summer salts
, but probably not politically correct

fortune cookie say:
Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:38 AM
OMG..would you two just shut the hell up already? You've taken this thread so far off topic it's never going to find it's way back. Where's a mod to lock this BS when you need one?

Thursday, February 16, 2006 12:32 PM
We're just having fun, chill out, geez. Besides, if every thread that went off topic got locked, you wouldn't be able to post in any of them more than 10mins after they were created.
Anyway, the best discussions seem to arise out of not-so-related threads, as slow pointed out recently.

fortune cookie say:
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search