false floor trunk set up, some questions - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
false floor trunk set up, some questions
Sunday, March 27, 2005 11:44 PM
well i plan to make a false floor trunk set up out of wood for 2 amps and 2 12"s in my trunk.
i want the amps mounted up front (by trunk opening) and the subs in a sealed box behind that firing toward the rear (not into the cab)
a few questions i had..
how do i go about making the actual false floor? wut type of wood? how do i actually raise it off the trunk floor? wut about the spare tire well, can it be used for anything? should i block off the rest of the trunk with a board and cut slits for the trunk arms, or is that just for looks not sq? will the amps get too hot and do i need to wire fans into the floor too?

PICTURES woudl help me so much, but anything anyone can tell or show me id appreciate, thanks

Re: false floor trunk set up, some questions
Monday, March 28, 2005 8:39 AM
just make a wooden platform man, just like you would for an outside stage. wood wise i guess MDF could work....posibbly(sp?) oak or maybe redwood. j/p

Monday, March 28, 2005 2:33 PM
so just lay 2x4s down and put the mdf on top of that? how would i secure it? do i have to bolt it to the body? lol sorry for so many questions.. but i wanna do it right the 1st time

Monday, March 28, 2005 2:53 PM
what i would do would be to make a template for the actual floor and make it as close to teh cavi's wall as possible so it wont move. then bolt the 2x4's to the layer on top of the floor base and the top of the flase floor to the 2x4's. and viola you got a false floor. there prob is a better way but i dont know it.....lates

Monday, March 28, 2005 9:45 PM
rapfiend03 wrote:there prob is a better way but i dont know it.....lates

anyone know it? lol

and thanks for the help so far

Monday, March 28, 2005 10:16 PM
i just put 1/4 inch plywood on the trunk floor took out the spare tire ground the spair tire jack holder off and mounted my amps in thare then used two blue light up fans mounted them in a trap door over the amps and covered them in carpet

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 1:02 AM
i thought about that by i have two amps and side by side they wont fit, and if i put them one on top of the other there wont be room for my box.. id rather just raise the whole floor and maybe even keep my spare..

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 2:58 AM
come on someone has done a false floor set up before lol....

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:39 AM
as stated, i'd personally screw the 2x4's or 1x2" or whatever filler piece u needed to the floor of the trunk with metal screws and angel brackets, also dont forget to use some silicone on the holes so it doesnt rust or leak. then build off that, u may want to put wood down under were your amps will be, screw that down to the body and build off of that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:40 AM
use mdf... thats all i got to say.. make sure its tight or you'll have rattles that's never been there b4.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 1:14 PM
wut do yea mean put wood down where the amps will be? i have to, wut else would i screw them to the body? (its not flat would be kinda hard heh)

Thursday, March 31, 2005 10:11 AM
your talking to a guy who has seen installs where kids just set their amps on the bottom. no screws no nothing. same goes for the sub boxes on here where i'd bet only around 10% are safely secured to the car.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, March 31, 2005 5:39 PM
i just set up a false floor last week during my spring break. i used 2x6s to raise the 3/4 particle board up. i split it right down the middle so i can still access my spare tire. the trunk is useless as far as storage goes thouge because the speakers are horizontal.
Friday, April 01, 2005 12:07 AM
i dont mind so much for trunk storage

but nathan how did u secure the whole thing down? and how did u lay your 2x6s? got any pics?

Friday, April 01, 2005 10:39 PM
Wow 2x6's that seems like a little more space than you should need for amps to fit under it. I did it on my old car and I used 2X4's on edge. As far as mounting it down to anything I wouldn't screw anything to the body or frame unless I absolutely had too. That's a little too perminent for me, granted I get a diffferent set of subs and amp every time the weather changes just for sh*ts. If you make the floor and what not fit in there tight enought you don't have to bolt or screw it down to the body unless you're doing it to prevent theft.

Friday, April 01, 2005 11:36 PM
yea not preventing theft, but trying to not let it rattle.....

i guess i just leave the OEM carpet in there and that will dull out the rattle..... and then ill be able to keep my spare as well (would be one hell of a time getting it out lol.. but itd be there

Monday, April 04, 2005 3:21 PM
if u use a standards screw u could just unscrew it to get it out. 4 screws would hold it securely while only needing 5 minutes to unscrew it.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 5:43 AM
yea but while i cna get it out in 5 mins, a thief can get it out in 2

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 6:24 AM
?

I was suggestion you bolt it down. bolting it down will take a thief longer then not bolting it down. read your above post you said your not trying to prevent theft, just trying to stop the rattles.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 7:52 AM
If your looking to put amps under plexi your easiest way is to use you spare tire well and then make a floor over that out of plywood for strength I have two amps there 1 is reall small but it's anohter option for you hope this gives you another Idea, you can also do what I did and mount your amps on an angle to add more of a look.(by the way this is my trunk in it's progress stage, haven't updated pics yet).

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 1:06 PM
i measured.. both amps wont fit in the spare tire well...

and yea, while im not VERY worried about theft its still a factor i guess.. thanks guys

Thursday, April 07, 2005 9:15 PM
Take a piece of 1/2" MDF (or something similar) that will be large enough for both of your amps to sit on top of plus a little extra on all sides. Take some scrap pieces of wood, at least 1" thick and mount them to the bottom side of the board near the ends. This will raise the amp rack up off the floor for the wiring. If you don't plan on using you spare tire well, you can mount the piece securely with a couple of screws on each side(do this once the amps are wired up) and use the spare tire well to hide all the wiring. Once you have that, take some scrap pieces of MDF or whatever you used and cut some small blocks roughly the same height as your amps. Mount these around the amps in different spots. These are what is going to hold up the the top panel that covers the wiring (if any showing), and gives your amps the look of being recessed into the floor. That top panel is what people will see when you open the trunk. Take some cardboard and make a pattern of the edge of the trunk at the same height as you amps(total height from trunk floor to top of amps), then transfer that to the material you use for the top cover (1/4" MDF works good for this).
Thursday, April 07, 2005 9:19 PM
dsonive wrote:Mount these around the amps in different spots.

how, bolt it down to the floor? or wuts a good method for this?

Thursday, April 07, 2005 9:23 PM
A little wood glue and an air finish nailer would be the best and easiest way to do it
Friday, April 08, 2005 5:40 AM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search