for the electronic know it alls - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
for the electronic know it alls
Saturday, February 20, 2010 11:51 AM
i have a 97 cavalier drop top that i got like 3 days ago (my 2nd jbody) and i noticed when i turn off the car the radio would lose its memmory. So i open it up and the bezel is broken for easy access, and i pull the radio out and find out that the red and yellow wires are hooked up together. i know this is a no no, but its the only way it worked so i unhook everything and did it the right way and nothing. I checked the fuse and it was good. really my question is how to do i fix this problem? any ideas, suggestions, or any experience on how to fix it? The car also has a classic case of the windshield wipers being in the up position. again thanks for any answers.

Re: for the electronic know it alls
Saturday, February 20, 2010 12:03 PM
Yellow is constant, red is ignition. You could do an add-a-fuse off of the wipers since they're ignition controlled for a temporary fix, but I'd start checking wires with a meter.

Your car may do 13 sec @ 103 mph, but my car does 146db @ 35 hz.
Saturday, February 20, 2010 12:05 PM
could i do the red wire directly to the battery and the yellow maybe to the cig lighter?
Saturday, February 20, 2010 12:17 PM
Which wire were the wires hooked up to? The red or yellow?
(on the source side not load side)

Saturday, February 20, 2010 12:23 PM
i dont understand excatly what your asking. The wires were hooked up to the harness and the red and yellow were hooked up there. Thank god no hack job to the factory harness (it was a nightmare with my SHO) im wonder if one of the 2 wires on the aftermarket harness is actually bad or not, iv only had it like 3 days and havent had much time to trace things down. just one of those things that makes you scratch your head.
Saturday, February 20, 2010 12:33 PM
The wires have to be hooked to the ignition and not the constant on the car side. Since it gets power with the car on and not with it off.

Can you get a picture of it looks like back there?

Saturday, February 20, 2010 2:39 PM
nathan hood wrote:i dont understand excatly what your asking. The wires were hooked up to the harness and the red and yellow were hooked up there. Thank god no hack job to the factory harness (it was a nightmare with my SHO) im wonder if one of the 2 wires on the aftermarket harness is actually bad or not, iv only had it like 3 days and havent had much time to trace things down. just one of those things that makes you scratch your head.

I'm basically just asking how it was hooked up....

Easiest thing to do would be get a Meter and check the wires.

if you want to get at me on AIM and ill help you

Sunday, February 21, 2010 11:08 PM
all fixed, thanks for the input. i discovered the fuse that controls interior lights and such was blown and replaced it and everything is normal. thanks again
Monday, February 22, 2010 9:21 AM
for the record, the cigarette lighter is constantly on

Monday, February 22, 2010 9:31 AM
i know this is the wrong section. my reverse lights are out (bulbs and fuse good) any input?
Tuesday, February 23, 2010 9:32 AM
nathan hood wrote:i know this is the wrong section. my reverse lights are out (bulbs and fuse good) any input?
backup switch

car audio noob since 1984.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search