better speakers or a smaller sub? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
better speakers or a smaller sub?
Friday, February 19, 2010 11:41 AM
I currently have a 12'' sub right but I'm thinking about selling it because it takes up too much room in the trunk. Would better speakers than stock set up compensate for the missing bass? I know they would increase the quality of the sound for sure. I'm guessing that if they do not compensate for bass I will switch to a 10'' sub.

Re: better speakers or a smaller sub?
Friday, February 19, 2010 12:15 PM
Speaker wont compensate for sub bass. They arent designed to play as low as subs are. My speakers are filtered at around 80 hz and the sub picks up the rest. Better speakers will pick up more mid bass though

Friday, February 19, 2010 1:33 PM
How big's your box?

Friday, February 19, 2010 4:36 PM
It all depends on what you want out of the stereo system. If you were running stock speakers with a sub, you probably are used to crappy speakers and boomy @!#$ from the trunk like a lot of people.... So upgrading your speakers will definitely improve on your sound quality. It really comes down to your budget and goals. I mean, upgrading your speakers to an amped set of 6.5" comps will give you a lot more sound throughout the frequency range, but not much down low, like Sundown said, below 80hz from a mid driver is asking a lot of it.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search