Trouble with "new" head unit - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trouble with "new" head unit
Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:35 PM
My friend gave me a pioneer DEH 1400 to put in my 96 cavie. He even gave me the GM harness, but he didn't know if it worked it was from the junkyard. Well I plugged it in, and I had to resplice a few of the wires it turns on and all I hear through the speakers is popping. The same kind of popping you get when you just turn the radio on with the volume off, but it keeps repeating the popping with no static or anything. It is tuning into stations with the antenna hooked up but I still get the same popping. I tried a cd but the player doesn't work. Is the radio done or do I have some wiring wrong?

Re: Trouble with "new" head unit
Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:47 PM
Check your wiring first.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 5:29 PM
I have a feeling this unit is shot. I hooked it up again on the workbench, the two power wires to a battery, the ground to a battery, and hooked up one speaker to an extra I had. I didn't even use the harness I used the radio directly and I get the same odd popping sound with no static or anything...
Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:16 PM
Yeah, no, it's probably shot.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:20 PM
internal amp is toast. Unit is useless unless it has working preouts. If it is just an old head unit from a junk yard and you have no money invested, it doesn't sound worth the effort.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Thursday, September 03, 2009 2:16 PM
how did you plug in the antenna when u did tested on the workbench? wont work with out it.

Thursday, September 03, 2009 4:20 PM
How would the head unit not work at all without the antenna hooked up? That is false, sir.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Thursday, September 03, 2009 4:38 PM
Thats kinda what I was thinking.

Thursday, September 03, 2009 5:25 PM
Thanks guys I kinda figured it was toast. I didn't hook up an antenna on the bench but I figured I'd hear static at least...
Thursday, September 03, 2009 6:01 PM
duno dude, i whenever i put a radio in, it would not turn on unless the antenna was hooked in the back. hmmmmmmmmm. guess its been too long. But thanks for calling me sir.

Thursday, September 03, 2009 8:15 PM
I dunno swag, I have never had that happen. Installed one in my old cutlass beater and never even bought an antenna adapter. it powered on and worked flawlessly, except radio reception. So I know first hand, it isn't needed. I have also done the whole turn it on and test it before putting the dash together deal, and almost never have the antenna hooked up the first time it's turned on... never an issue..

At any rate, on topic, sounds like you should just cut your losses with the freeby head unit and snag a new one man.

Sunday, September 06, 2009 11:32 AM
Swag, sounds like you didn't have a ground hooked up and it was grounding through the antenna.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search