which sub is better? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
which sub is better?
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:51 AM
Hey,

Right now I have 12'' MTX Thunder 6000 in my Z24... its rated @ 250W RMS and 500W Max @ 4 ohms. It sounds pretty good and I have no complaints besides it taking up some space in the small trunk. I recently got a free JL-W08 from a friend. It is rated at 125W RMS @ 8ohms. I hooked up the JL to test it even though my amp is only 4ohms, it works good and hits every note. Now I need to know which is better overall?

Re: which sub is better?
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:27 AM
JL makes a better quality subwoofer.

what amp do you have?

click sig for my car audio videos
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:27 AM
Jl fosho

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:34 PM
Your MTX. It's doing double the power, so theoretically it should be louder than the JL.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:43 PM
Lanman31337 - Cavfire wrote:Your MTX. It's doing double the power, so theoretically it should be louder than the JL.

he didnt say louder he said better.

but yes the mtx will be louder for sure, like 2x the cone area and 2x the power, it SHOULD be a good 4 db's louder!

but then again it depends on the amp. if the amp only puts out 100wrms to it its not gunna be as noticable.

click sig for my car audio videos
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 6:17 PM
Just rereading the post the OP seems to know nothing of what hes talking about. We really need more info. Such as amps VC configuration of both subs.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:08 PM
Well he already said the MTX is wired to 4 ohms... and a W08 is an 8Ohm sub. Assuming his amp is putting exact RMS power to the MTX sub that it wants(250w), then the W0 should be seeing right around 125 at 8 ohms so they would both be getting the correct amount of power. He also mentioned the W0 worked(im assuming sounded) good, and hit every note...

SO in my opinion, upon reading the post, I say he should keep the W0. If he likes the way it sounds, it is going to be a higher quality woofer and last long as long as it doesn't get mistreated or abused.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:27 AM
Hey, sorry about the misinformation ... let me clear it up:

Amp is a MTX amp pushing 200W RMS -1 channel, 4ohm setup. It works great with the MTX and when I plugged in the JL it worked good too. I understand that in terms of power the MTX is better. I am also thinking that the JL sub will not last long cause it was sitting in my friends car for 3 years (during winter,summer,etc) and was in a big car accident. It works but that's about it.
Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:49 AM
Car audio subs are designed for the extremes of the car environment. As long as it wasnt sitting in direct sunlight or in water for a long period of time it should be fine. I got my second set of subs out of a wrecked car and they held up fine.

Saturday, August 22, 2009 7:33 PM
J L fo sho mtx is ok but...... i perfer JL
Saturday, August 22, 2009 8:29 PM
The brand isn't the only factor in how a speaker sounds though... To say "I like MTX, but I prefer JL" is just plain dumb. I bet you would enjoy a high end MTX in a properly built box with the right amount of power over an underpowered W1 in a crappy box that is too big or small for the sub...

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart

Saturday, August 22, 2009 8:34 PM
It is if you dont know what youre talking about and just make blanket comments to feel like youre helping.

Monday, August 24, 2009 8:33 AM
youve listened to both subs, which one sounds best to you? that is the only set of ears that matters. me personally im not a bass head but id prefer to have the sub with more power. 125 watts isnt much, if both are in the proper sized box just choose the one that sounds best.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search