Help pleeeeease - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help pleeeeease
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:32 PM
Here's the situation. My friend asked me to work on his Dual XDVD8181 flipout dvd player. He says that it won't take CDs and that he can't figure out how to override the E-Brake safety feature. I pull it out of his dash and find that the harness is very very rigged. Instead of just finding the correct harness, he payed a kid to install it with the wrong one. I take the cd player apart, pull the cd jammed inside it out, and find that the piece that flops down on top of the cd as it's playing has a broken support. My friend proceeds to use a soldering gun and a piece of plastic to "Fix" the broken support. We put everything back together, and now, the cd player will light up and the fan will spin for about one second then it turns off, and the whole thing happens again about a second later. I pulled it apart again and cannot see anything that looks obviously wrong with the boards, connections, ect. I also scrapped the old harness and hardwired it to 12V ignition and power and a good ground, and the same thing happens. Lights, fan spins, turns off, starts again about a second later. Any help? He expects me to pay for the CD player since it "Worked" before I worked on it, and not after. This is wayyyy beyond my expertise.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Help pleeeeease
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:44 PM
Once you saw the wiring mess, you should have backed away and put it back in.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:59 PM
Very true sir, hindsight is 20/20.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:50 PM
Once you had the internals open, that's a big no-no. Sounds like something's shorting, or power cycling, or something.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:13 PM
Its a Dual. Youll probably have a nice paperweight now. Usually doing that voids the warranty.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:02 AM
The seal was already broken. Kinda sucks all around!
Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:40 PM
^if the seal was already broken obviously its been taken apart before and doesnt work correctly. the disc drive was not working already, which all means it was already f'd up you shouldnt have to pay for it. it doesnt work because its dual brand... you couldnt give me that thing.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:32 PM
It's like pussy. If the seal has been broken, you shouldn't have to pay for it.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:23 PM
Dual is more Walmart @!#$ that is only good if you get it for free just to hold you until your good stuff somes in.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:59 PM
Well he only paid 150 for it, used. And about a week later the cd player @!#$ up. I think I'm just gonna give him my old stock radio for my S-10 to put in his S-10. It plays CD's properly lol, so technically it's better than his was.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search