Run Two different sized Subwoofers - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Run Two different sized Subwoofers
Sunday, March 22, 2009 12:27 AM
OK, i know its frowned upon. but i keep thinking about this idea.

I want to have one 12" subwoofer and two 8" subwoofers. the 12" will have it own box and so will the 8s. 2 boxes all together. the 12 tuned to about 22-25hz and the 8s tuned to around 50-60hz. i havent figure out solid numbers yet but where the 12 flattens out and doesnt produce much more gain at the higher frequency is where i want the 8s to kick in for the extra midbass(if thats what you would call it). both enclosures would be ported (obviously). but basically all i want to know is would this work? having the subwoofers play different frequencies, kind of like a crossover but by setting the amps lowpass filter and subsonic filters corectly to where the frequencies dont overlap. would you be gaining anything from this? in my mind it would give you better responce throughout all frequencies. also would i need to get 8s that would match the power output of the 12, so that way your not losing dbs when you get to higher frequencies?

i know its confusing but when i get bored stupid stuff like this pop into my head. i did about 1 hour of research on it but could only find examples on two different sizes in one box. even if your not sure if it will work or not just chim in and sort of brainstorm with me here.

as for brands i was thinking of a Fi Bl 12 and AA 8s, and sundown amps for both (one for the 12, and one for the 8s)

the main goal is to hit all frequency levels without losing "loudness"

click sig for my car audio videos

Re: Run Two different sized Subwoofers
Sunday, March 22, 2009 12:53 AM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

You have your fronts and sub, and possibly some midbass drivers.

A basic example would be to have your fronts crossed over at like 100hz and up, midbass drivers tuned from say 100hz to 50hz and sub tuned to take 50 and below. You don't run 2 seperate sizes or types for subbass.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Sunday, March 22, 2009 10:36 AM
thats pretty much what i tried to say in my post. if you read it again it says most of what you said.

i just worded it weird i guess. but it would be the 12 taking the lower notes and shutting off when the higher notes come in. thats where the 8s start playing (as soon as the 12 stops playing) using the amplifiers subsonic filter and lpf to act as a crossover. the 12 subsonic set as low as it can go and low pass set to around 50 hz then the 8s subsonic set to around 50 hz and the low pass filter set to around 80hz or higher. but both ported enclosure would have to be design to get optimal output throughout those hz ranges. and obviously the front speakers would take over the rest of the frequencies.

so it would work like this?

Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:23 PM
NO because the lpf and hpf have a roll off. They arent just a straight cut off. Your going to have destructive waves in the overlap. Even if you set the lpf to 50 and the hpf the same it just doesnt stop at 50 hz it gets quieter on lower and lower frequencies and the lpf gets quiter on higher frequnecies. I can set my hpf to 50 hz and still hear notes on my speakers around 40 hz. Even if you were to perfectly match the roll offs so that they dont overlap youll stil be losing loudness.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 9:57 PM
What you're describing is having midbass drivers in your trunk. And since midbass is pretty damn directional, it's just a bad idea.

Monday, March 23, 2009 5:02 AM
ok.... so would it work in a hatchback style car with both drivers firing up? or how about a half wall in the backseat of the cav firing forward, both subs again.

and i understand the roll off thing i just dont think it will hurt too much up that high in notes.... but im not sure. good point though...

thanks for the responces.

Monday, March 23, 2009 1:26 PM
Why are you so dead set on having midbass in your trunk?

Most subwoofer drivers on the market are DESIGNED to play up to 100Hz or higher before their sensitivity rolls off. For the money you're trying to spend to buy midbass drivers and subs, and design/tune seperate chambers for them, you're going to be NO FURTHER AHEAD.

What exactly is your reasoning? If you've been watching the car audio scene at all you'll notice that no one else is doing what you're describing. Why do you think that is?

Monday, March 23, 2009 1:34 PM
Because its silly.

I also had a post about this a few weeks ago. Theyre telling you exactly what they told me. Silly boy.

Monday, March 23, 2009 3:33 PM
Fiberglass some midbass drivers into the doors. Problem solved.
Monday, March 23, 2009 3:48 PM
TheSundownFire wrote:Because its silly.

I also had a post about this a few weeks ago. Theyre telling you exactly what they told me. Silly boy.

yea just to be silly, sorta.

i just wanted to be unique a little bit. im probly going to try it out. ill work on some concepting of the box arangement for the half wall in the backseat.

if it doesnt sound good then ill just sell the 8s. it cant hurt too much. especially since my tax return is coming,

Monday, March 23, 2009 5:32 PM
Youre wasting a lot of time to be unique and find out it isnt going to be what you want. Conform dammit!

Monday, March 23, 2009 6:57 PM
theres no need to conform for the most part, what he is wanting isn't anything out of the norm. basically he's wanting a pair of 8" midbass. he just is wordig them wrong calling them subwoofers because of the size, just bad terminology.. his only real mistake is wanting to port them and put them in the trunk or even in the hatchback, if he would work on getting them upfront somewhere such as the doors or dash, or kickpods he could be onto the start of a very powerful soundtage. if he wants them in the trunk hes just going to have a terrible soundstage but decent midbass as long as the slopes on all of his crossovers match up relativly close.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, March 23, 2009 8:07 PM
ok i just thought this up. if im going to be putting front seats in the back. could i build some sort of arm rest box for the 8s to get them closer to the front? im almost positive that the front seats dont have enough room to put drivers under them and i dont think the aa assasin will fit in the door. possibly a kick pod though..... but what if they are right behind the front seats (in the front) then the 12 firing forward with the trunk sealed off. and im eliminating the 6 x 9s just having the tweets up front with the door 6.5"s. would it sound good? i just want to do it right but yet still be a little different.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 2:01 PM
if its behind you its behind you wether its attached to the back of the seat or in the rear deck its still behind you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search