Help with sub box - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help with sub box
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:43 PM
So i have a question i have an alpine type r swr-1242d and i need a box for it but i have no clue how to figure out what size box or anything. Any info would be really helpfull. Oh this is goin into a s10 ext. cab so space is sorta limited.
Thanx
Brandon

Re: Help with sub box
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:47 PM
i also don't know if ported or sealed would be better.
Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:49 AM
hey, you would want to have a sealed box with 0.7 - 1.0 cubic ft or a ported box with 0.75-1.75 cubic ft, i would build a sealed box, but thats just me, it all depends on what you want and space you have.
Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:02 AM
i would check alpines website and see what they recommend for a box
Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:12 PM
Do you want loudness or tight punchy accurate voice..bassiclly SPL Vs. SQ.

If you want it to romp than go ported.

Best of luck with the Type R has been in a 2.5cube Port Box.

Check out caraudio.com

And go to enclosures. theres like a 500 page thread on the Type R and only the Type R in the enclosure Section.

By the way, I own two of them

Friday, June 22, 2007 1:53 PM
well i found a box for my sub my buddy had already posted about it on here and i didn't see it.
But any way this is what it will look like.....

Monday, June 25, 2007 9:52 PM
Did a little research for ya. for what it says on the alpine site is the box you want is 1.7 cubic feet for ported but can be .75-1.75 this is the box i would go for. plus tuned at 36 hz for the fb.which is need at this link

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#por

if you do not feel like porting it the sealed box is .85 cubic feet or in the .75-1 cubic feet range. just a suggestion use a round port box till you find that perfect tune then try at a slot port then you know what freq to add into the formula by the way the the port sizes for the 1.7 for a slot are 15 x 12 x 1.25 inches.as far as sq .vs. spl sq is clean music and spl is sound pressure level which the cleanness of the music does not matter as much to some people this is were they get spl from a ported because they get real loud but will also not be able to tell the difference between ported or seal with the human ear except noise level if done right.
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 12:53 PM
well i build the above box and it pounds hard on some songs but doesn't hardly pouond on others idk what the problem is. im running an alpine mrd-m605 and something is just not right. please help!!!

thanks
Brandon
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 2:00 PM
whats your tuning
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 4:37 PM
what your box volume and tuning frequency? these two go hand in hand if to big or small of box volume then it sound like crap. wrong freq then it sounds like crap. the optimal box for that sub is one that has 1.7 cuft tuned to 36 hz said buy this page.

http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-1242D.PDF

buy what the out side sizes multiply out to, the box is about 4 cubic feet which is way to big. since i do not do slot ports i do not know how to figure your boxes internal volume which the one i use is as follows length x width x height = cubic feet then divide the box cubic feet by 1728 simple stuff right. what i would do is design a new box one with round ports till you get the hang of building boxes. this way if you want to change tuning frequency's to find the best one. all you have to do is cut a section of pvc tube instead of rebuilding a box with a slot every time you want a different freq. any ways the box volume calc and the port length calc listed in this post
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 5:30 PM
sorry i posted the wrong pic. here is the one that gives all the stats

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 5:31 PM
and everyone keeps telling me that 2.5 cubes to 3 cubes will work with this sub.
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:43 PM
did a little more research and that does sound right for size. form what i seen on this site they are all tuning them from about 33- 42 hz depending on box size. any ways like i was saying try one with tubes so you can figure out what you want to use. i know the one at 12 volt works at the link above but do not know if the one you are using work at all "box program" any ways i wonder if you could seal off the port in the one box and throw in a pvc port. the kind from a hardware store pvc i think $10 for 10 feet get 2.5 or 3 inch i.d. pvc but first check what you need to do it at the 12 volt link and also check out this link and click on alpine to compare boxes.

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos.html

any ways hope you get it done right
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:11 PM
it looks like the port clac your using is letting to much air the width of the port is 3.25 x35.25x about 11inch i am guessing. which is letting to much air pass by what i would do is seal it between the violet and black line making it about 3 cubes.then just port it with a pvc tube play with the port clac at 12 volt it will tell you the bigger the i.d. of tubing the longer the port needs to be and vice versa if smaller the shorter. i think it is the w x h x L of the port this is were you got to find good port clac for the first box you build.
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 10:38 PM
ok so if i block of the port and put in round ports were should they be put at or does it matter
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:59 PM
Ok so i re did the box and this is what i came up with i was wandering though should i use 2 ports or 1. Does 2 ports change the Hz that the box is tuned to. and joe momma thank you so much for all your help. i also made the box a little smaller it is now right around 2.6 cubes so hopefully this box will work.

IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/bt0811/newdetailedboxdrawing.jpg[/IMG]
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:24 AM
ok lets try this again

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:31 PM
so the above box is what i made except i used one 3 1/2 port. It sounds freaking awesome. Even rock beats now. thanks for all the help and everything.
Brandon
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:41 PM
now you can play with the tune to. this is were you may find 36 hits harder then 32 or vice versa. the problem i see with that slot port is it like you got extra air space from about 3 extra ports stack 4 x 3.25 on top of each other this is why your letting to much air buy with that slot. the port will work you just need to restrict more air then you had any ways awesome job.and good luck on the boxes
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:34 PM
looked these up for you they only come in 3 and 4 inch you may want to up it to 4 inch. then buy one of these kit at the link below.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=268-352
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 3:05 AM
Hey BT...got a regular cab S10 along with my Cavy here...so, I know what ya mean about truck space being at a premium. Here is a link that will be really handy to you. It is a PDF file from Alpine's website that gives the entire owner's manual for the sub and will include the suggested specs for your sub and it's box.
http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-1242D.PDF

Also, I didnt have time to track it down but, there is an article floating around on the internet showing how to build a box as flush to the floor of an S10 as possible and save you a lotta room in your extended cab

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search