tail conversion wiring? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tail conversion wiring?
Monday, June 18, 2007 8:03 AM
as some of you may know, i have completed the Mazda 3 tail conversion, and now i need to wire them up. they run a 7443 for the brake light and a 7440 for the turn signal. now i assume i can partially use the toyo tail wiring diagram but how do you think i should go about actually wiring in the tail bulbs? they have a clip that the bulb plugs into, but it seems as though there is a harness that plugs into the clip that i do not have. i will get pics today to try and show you what i mean as its tough to describe.

i cant find a part # or anything for the harness, but i do see alot of other vehicles use this same bulb. not sure if its wired the same with the xtra clip.

my main question is do you think i will need resistors or anything special to get the blinker to function properly?

thx in advance

Re: tail conversion wiring?
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:17 AM
no one?

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:59 AM
Hi Joe!!!!!!!!!!! It looks to me that those two bulbs are the wedge shaped bulbs just like our front marker lights. Now as far as the brake, you should be fine, but for the turn signal you might have problems. You may want to get yourself a 20 watt 5 ohm resistor so your turn signals don't flash hyperactively.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:10 AM
^^^hey Jeff, appreciate that response. not that i question your answer, but is there a way you came to the 20 watt 5 ohm conclusion? or is it just a common wattage/ohm to use?

this is why i posted here, wiring a system up, no prob, resistors and relays and all that stuff, i just give up on, lol.

thanks!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:04 PM
if the wattages of the bulbs are the same why would you need a resistor? if they are not the same then you add a power resistor to match the wattages.

do you have any mazda wiring diagrams to see what does what? do you have any of the mazda wiring harness or access to a mazda harness to do some metering with?

oh btw, i would really love to see some pics of this conversion. no pressure, when ever your ready.

if i think of anything else for the wire conversion i will let you know.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Wednesday, June 20, 2007 5:30 AM
i dont have the harnesses unfortunately, but i know how the bulbs are powered(which pin does what). i know there are a bunch of other models that use the same bulbs, so i was hoping i could find one in a ayrd somewhere. not positive on the wattage of the bulbs...guess ill look that up.

but heres what some pics of the conversion......she goes for paint in 2 days

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:39 AM
wow! very nice! i like the plate too, suits the car....

1997 RedR - ZedR
Sunday, June 24, 2007 12:20 AM
WTF???

OMG

That plate and taillight combo made me double take the post date...

Sunday, June 24, 2007 1:21 AM
needs something on the doors but man your car is gonna be gorgeous..
Sunday, June 24, 2007 5:06 AM
Me again boss. Reason I said those resistors is because some people like to use LED's and other lights up front - or some with 95-99 cavaliers like to do away with the goofy triangle lights altogether. those resistors seem to do the trick, and should work very well with your application.

Sunday, June 24, 2007 9:48 PM
Wire it exactly like the Toyota tail instructions.

Monday, June 25, 2007 7:07 AM
omg i just noticed the giant heart beside johns car on the road in his sig... wow im a lil slow.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Monday, June 25, 2007 3:27 PM
i would say it be no different than the toyos. start with that then if you have problems post up.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search