radio shutting on and off - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
radio shutting on and off
Monday, June 18, 2007 12:06 AM
ok i just installed my subs and i've never had this happen before. when i play any songs with considerable bass at a comfortable volume my cd player will shut off and then power back on. do i need to add a capacitor or what should i look at to trouble shoot this.

Re: radio shutting on and off
Monday, June 18, 2007 4:18 AM
adjust your gains properly, do the big 3.

Monday, June 18, 2007 12:39 PM
the big three is done and the gain is set at 1/4. i've been installing stereos for over 10 years and never had this happen.
Monday, June 18, 2007 2:21 PM
What is "a comfortable volume"?
Do you have your REM lead going to too many things?

Monday, June 18, 2007 3:50 PM
20-25 range and remote goes to two amps, well i added a cap and that seems to fix it but when i turn on my headlights it still sometimes does it. any other thoughts.
Monday, June 18, 2007 4:15 PM
Sounds like you're running at a critical power level. Time to upgrade your alternator methinks.

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:22 PM
i was wondering if it was an alternator issue....

airride, 3 tv's, 2 amps, neon underglow, onboard trickle charger, 250 watt power inverter, cooling fan hooked to a toggle switch..

any alternator suggestions?
Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:25 PM
yup thats what it sounds like because I have the same issue. I have not done the big three yet but I rewired my power to my battery and I have not had any problems since. im running 2 cadence 12" and a LT-1920 2 channel amp. I also have a 2 far. cap but I think the cap is really kickin me in the ass. but I think I need to really upgrade my alt.
Friday, July 20, 2007 10:09 AM
It's possible your head's remote-on threshold is quite high or the main voltage just drops too low.

My old JVC would shut off if the voltage on the remote line was less than 12v.

My new Pioneer is happy as long as there is 6v or so present on the remote line.

If you want to check for this problem, get a 12v batter pack of some sort, ground the negative to the car and attach the head unit's remote wire to the + side of the battery pack. Play the bass as usual and if it stays on, you know where the problem lies.

If this is indeed your problem, there is a way to fix it. Put a plain old 1A diode inline with your remote wire, with the line towards the head unit. Add a small capacitor between ground and the remote line AFTER the diode. You will have to experiment with different capacitor values. Too small and you'll continue to have this problem. Too big and your stereo will stay on for a long time after you take the key out.

If the head unit is unhappy with the power present on the power line, there's nothing you can do but strengthen the electrical system.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Saturday, July 21, 2007 3:22 AM
My old car did the same thing, it turned out my voltage regulator was bad, and installing the amp for the subs put enough load on the battery that the problem was finally noticable. It was actually soo bad that the speedo would wobble and the car wouldn't run right. It sounds like you just need a new alternator. I would probably buy a higher output one just to be safe. You can always hook a voltmeter to the battery to make sure.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search