6.5s in rear dash. 04 cav - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
6.5s in rear dash. 04 cav
Sunday, April 15, 2007 1:31 PM
Just wondering if anyone has put 6.5s in their rear dash. How did you do it? any pics? I was thinking of skrewing both pieces into a piece of wood, then connecting the wood to the metal. Any other ideas?

Re: 6.5s in rear dash. 04 cav
Sunday, April 15, 2007 3:10 PM
I've got 6.5" separates in my rear deck. I just made an adapter plate out of plywood that bolted to the 6x9 holes, and cut out the 6.5" hole for the woofer, and the 1" hole for the tweeter. Sorry, no pics, but you should be able to get the idea.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:10 PM
you could make em out of wood or you can just order them from crutchfield
Monday, April 16, 2007 3:36 PM
Monday, April 16, 2007 6:28 PM
Yup, you can always buy the plastic ones too.

I've always got plywood around, I've got plenty of tools, and the wood will sound better than the plastic.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 8:08 AM
ya i'll just make them out of wood. Just wanted to know if it would work in the cav.
What thickness do you guys suggest? 1/4, 1/2 ??

thanks
Saturday, April 21, 2007 2:13 PM
Bump.

How thick should the wood be?
Saturday, April 21, 2007 8:30 PM
adapters and drilling. The drilling kind of sucked, broke 2 bits...but they were low quality anyway so it didn't matter. As long as you get a decent adapter and some dynamat to prevent it from rattling, you'd be perfectly fine.
Monday, April 23, 2007 5:56 AM
I used 1/4" ply because I had it around. If you can fit 1/2" under the deck (I'm not sure, but I think it will fit), use that. Thicker is better.

Robert, what the hell were you drilling for this project that you broke bits?

I attached the plywood adapters to the deck with self-tapping sheet metal screws, and then bolted the speakers to the plywood with some small nuts & bolts.
Didn't drill anything that could have broken a bit. Also, I didn't use any sound deadening, although it's a good idea.
My speakers have been there for over 4 years, and I've had no issues. They sound great.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search