2003 Sunfire: CD Deck requires wiring harness? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2003 Sunfire: CD Deck requires wiring harness?
Monday, April 16, 2007 12:34 PM
So I am looking to put an aftermarket CD player in my car and I believe I need some sort of wiring harness in order to keep my door chimes and possibly other functions. This is ok with me but my question is do they install the factory CD player in the trunk because I defiantly would not want my old stock CD in my trunk just sitting there.

03 Sunfire

Re: 2003 Sunfire: CD Deck requires wiring harness?
Monday, April 16, 2007 12:38 PM
no. they do not.

car audio noob since 1984.
Monday, April 16, 2007 12:49 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:no. they do not.

keep your mouth shut if you dont know.

there are two options if you wish to keep your chimes.
option one: install the y-harness which puts your factory deck in the trunk and lets you have aftermarket up front.

option two: buy the chime module, toss your stock deck and the chime module generates the chimes for you.

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Monday, April 16, 2007 12:52 PM
Machzel08 (Teh Jew) wrote:option one: install the y-harness which puts your factory deck in the trunk and lets you have aftermarket up front.

never heard of such a practice... sounds kinda half assed to me...

car audio noob since 1984.
Monday, April 16, 2007 12:54 PM
And option 3... if you wish to lose the chimes, you can always get a 00+ geo tracker harness (i've also seen some for saturns that'll work) and you just have to run your own turn-on wire.

Monday, April 16, 2007 1:02 PM
I plan on option one b/c thats what the car audio installers recomend and can to do but I didn't ask if the stock cd player is just left laying around in the trunk because that would not be cool haha

03 Sunfire
Monday, April 16, 2007 1:05 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:
Machzel08 (Teh Jew) wrote:option one: install the y-harness which puts your factory deck in the trunk and lets you have aftermarket up front.

never heard of such a practice... sounds kinda half assed to me...

how is that half assed?

personally i rock the stock deck so ive never done any of them to my car personally, but you put the stock deck in the trunk. it gets power, ground, acc, and connection to the left fron t speaker, then it acts as the chimes without interfering with your new HU. seems simple to me.

JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Monday, April 16, 2007 1:05 PM
Machzel08 (Teh Jew) wrote:
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:no. they do not.

keep your mouth shut if you dont know.

Don't be an ass, its very unbecoming.

You can purchase the harness from "Circuit city" connects to the stock harness, splits off a chime module and then provides the wires to sauder to your aftermarket decks. They don't usually have them on the floor but you can ask the stereo install guys to sell you one.

-Chris

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:59 PM
Is it only the door chimes that are lost?

03 Sunfire
Monday, April 16, 2007 3:42 PM
yup. if you can live with out them then jsut take out the hu and be done

but while your taking it out, is it the monsoon HU?

Monday, April 16, 2007 4:07 PM
Machzel08 (Teh Jew) wrote:yup. if you can live with out them then jsut take out the hu and be done

but while your taking it out, is it the monsoon HU?

Well I think I can live without the door chimes. It's only when the you leave your light on right? To pay all the money and have your stock CD player in your trunk just laying there doesn't seem worth it if all your going to lose is your chimes for when your lights are left on.

I am not sure what you mean by monsoon?

The stock CD player in my can is this one.

03 Sunfire

Monday, April 16, 2007 4:30 PM
ah damn. thought you might have had a different deck. o well.

Monday, April 16, 2007 4:42 PM
Machzel08 (Teh Jew) wrote:ah damn. thought you might have had a different deck. o well.

What deck is the monsoon deck?

03 Sunfire
Monday, April 16, 2007 4:53 PM
it has the word on monsoon on it. has teh speed controlled voluem and what not

Monday, April 16, 2007 4:57 PM
Machzel08 (Teh Jew) wrote:it has the word on monsoon on it. has teh speed controlled voluem and what not

right on

03 Sunfire
Monday, April 16, 2007 5:22 PM
Like everyone said, no chimes. Also I believe that you loose the accessory off power option which allows you to listen to the radio with the car off and key removed for 15 minutes or until you open your door. I have the class II metra harness with my after market radio and I still have the chimes and the ability to listen to the radio for 15 mintues after the car is off. Correct me if I am wrong if anyone can still listen to their after market radio with the car off.

Machzel08 (Teh Jew) wrote:it has the word on monsoon on it. has teh speed controlled voluem and what not

Just as an aside it is also offered without the Monsoon package. I had the MP3 non-monsoon deck. in my '04 The speed/volume control comes with the "Sun and Sound package" that was offered to me when I opted for the factory installed sun/moon roof which included the mp3 non monsoon player.

Monday, April 16, 2007 5:35 PM
RobMan 41 - Project GXP wrote:Like everyone said, no chimes. Also I believe that you loose the accessory off power option which allows you to listen to the radio with the car off and key removed for 15 minutes or until you open your door. I have the class II metra harness with my after market radio and I still have the chimes and the ability to listen to the radio for 15 mintues after the car is off. Correct me if I am wrong if anyone can still listen to their after market radio with the car off.

Just as an aside it is also offered without the Monsoon package. I had the MP3 non-monsoon deck. in my '04 The speed/volume control comes with the "Sun and Sound package" that was offered to me when I opted for the factory installed sun/moon roof which included the mp3 non monsoon player.

yea but non monsoons decks dont have the word monsoon on it

Monday, April 16, 2007 5:44 PM
RobMan 41 - Project GXP wrote:Like everyone said, no chimes. Also I believe that you loose the accessory off power option which allows you to listen to the radio with the car off and key removed for 15 minutes or until you open your door. I have the class II metra harness with my after market radio and I still have the chimes and the ability to listen to the radio for 15 mintues after the car is off. Correct me if I am wrong if anyone can still listen to their after market radio with the car off.

You are probably right that once the keys are taken out the aftermarket cd deck will shut off which also fine with me. I just need to always remember to turn off my lights without the reminder of the charm.

The wiring harness you have do you have your factory CD deck in your trunk? I just don't really like the idea of it laying around unless they do something else with it.

03 Sunfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search