Fuse Taps - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuse Taps
Sunday, April 15, 2007 7:40 PM
Sorry for spamming this forum, but im gonna take a crack at installing this thing pretty soon, but i just need to know one last thing.

I'm going to use a fuse tap from the windshield fuse to supply the power to my deck. I guess i dont really have a specific question here except to ask just the general procedure here. I mean, I just need to know how to install it, and connect the wire to the deck and the fuses to use and stuff.

I know this is a really general question, but i am finding it difficult to ask a specific question about this part of the install.

Thank you again.

Re: Fuse Taps
Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:47 PM
First of all #1 NEVER USE A FUSE TAP!. and second why would you need to go from your windshield fuse supply? does your harness not have a power wire to it? If you were going to get power from any other place it would be the radio fuse. also know that you still should fuse it after the fact.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:54 PM
ok you take the wire you strip the end, you pull the fuse out. Wrap the stripped wire around one end of the metal part of the fuse. Put the fuse back in making sure its all the way in and no wire is exposed. Run the wire to the back of the deck and connect it to the yellow wire from the radio by splicing both ends wrapping them together and use either tape (nice and tight) or crimp caps...GOOD LUCK!
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:49 AM
I use this kind of fuse tap, but I've soon some that just look like a piece of metal tab going in to where the fuse should be. You'll hear foul cried a lot about using fuse taps, but I don't hack factory harnesses or use adapters. Always run new power and speaker wires, and the fuse tap gives me the 12v switch lead needed. If you use a fuse tap like the one pictured it has to go in one way only or the lead will be unfused.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:04 PM
holy shiit, ive never seen or heard about a "fuse tap" before, that looks frickn amazing, i want a couple!! where do i buy?!?!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:20 PM
DUUDEE..that pictures is just want i needed. I didnt even know what the hell it looked like, and the metal ones i see when i google "fuse tap" just got me even more confused. The one in your picture makes alot more sense. Where did you get that kind? How do i know which side the wire should come out of?

Also, all im doing is changing the head unit, and its not going to be that great, just a simple cheapo mp3 capable upgrade so i dont have to worry about messing up the wiring by using a fuse tap.
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:08 PM
Picked mine up at autozone. As far as telling which way just strip some of the wire and plug it into the empty fuse slot without any fuses in the fuse tap itself, turn on the ignition and check for voltage. If you have 12v then turn the tap around so that you don't have 12v, otherwise you're not fusing anything. I only do this for the 12v switch lead, the one for 12v hot all the time I run straight to the battery through the big azz rubber grommet that the main wiring harness goes through the firewall or off a distribution block in the trunk.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:37 AM
Its rather easy to install. Just install everything normal with the wires except run the "constant" wire to the fuse tap. Install the fuse tap in the windshield wiper fuse with 2 25 amp fuses. (this is what I did. you can do it in a diff one just make sure its active when the car gets turned on.) The fuse tap I got was at autozone for like $7.

http://nwgme.org
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search