Infinity reffs or kappas? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Infinity reffs or kappas?
Saturday, April 14, 2007 8:45 PM
I plan on getting some real subs in a few months (using piece of crap home stereo subs). I've got a kicker zx400.1 (monoblock running 400W RMS). I was planning on originally getting the Infinity Refference subs (I want 2 12" subs seperate box for each sub), but I looked at the price for the Kappas and the Kappa perfects and well, there's only a small difference in the RMS rating, but since Infinity goes for SQ the quality might be a LOT better in the kappas than the refferences. Is it really worth double the price per sub to get a Kappa instead of a refference, especially since each sub will be running 200 watts (100-150 watts below their max rms rating each)? Thanks

Re: Infinity reffs or kappas?
Saturday, April 14, 2007 9:01 PM
If youre not running a LOT of power, the refrence series should be what you look for. From what I heard out of the speakers, they both sound awesome, and can handle a LOT more power then theyre rated for. However, (my brother had 2 DVC kappa perfects, and i had 2 refrence series) -- It sounded to me that his speakers would play lower notes, It could have been the amp they were on, different amps we were using.

If its not a lot of power youre looking for and good sound quality, refrence speakers will not dissappoint. I used mine for 2 years and beat the hell out of them ,on a JL 500/1 amp running all out about 85% of the time I used them.
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:13 AM
Sucks that you're on the opposite coast. I've got two reference 12" subs I'd let go cheap. Like $25 a piece cheap. Had them in a sealed box, but pulled them to try a ED 13Ov.2 in a ported box before they stopped the forum discount (although Alex might could hook someone up). I like the sound of the ED a little better so that's what I stuck with, but the reference series are decent budget subs if you get them online at a good price.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 4:46 PM
yea, I spottet them on woofersetc for like $79 or something each. Personally I would rather get brand new subs, I'm aware that I have to break them in, but things allways feel fresher when you pull them out of the box for the first time. Kind of like that new car scent. I think I'll wait until my local best buy has their refference subs hooked up so I can try them out. They're slackers over there, they've had the subs just hanging out in their box for about a month now.
Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:09 PM
That's cool. I got mine from woofersetc, but I seem to remember them being a little less than $79 when I got them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search