wiring in a different cluster? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
wiring in a different cluster?
Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:24 PM
When i was a junk yard this past monday i noticed a Saturn Ion there that had a Gauge cluster still in it and i really like it. How hard would it be to put this into a Sunfire? I know that the dash would be to be cut and molded and that stuff but would it just be a simple match this wire to this wire and go or wouldn't the swap work at all?

Re: wiring in a different cluster?
Friday, April 13, 2007 8:23 PM
anyone?

Saturday, April 14, 2007 9:53 AM
I would bet that similar years would be compatible, but you'd have to check the pinouts to know for sure.
GM tends to use the same protocols for all of their vehicles, but they change from year to year somewhat.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 9:31 PM
where could i find a pin out for both cars? how could i find out if the protocols are the same? I if it comes to it ill just hook them up accordin to the pin out and see if it works lol

Sunday, April 15, 2007 7:54 AM
The pinouts can be found in the shop manuals. You may be able to go to a dealer and get someone at a dealer to get you a copy of the pinout if you're lucky.
Also, the Haynes manuals have the wiring for the clusters. The only way you're going to know if the protocol is the same is in the shop manual, though.

The bottom line is that you're going to have to do some research. I don't know that anyone has done such a swap, so there is no one to give you definite answers on it.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 11:18 AM
You have a 98... which is UART for the data communication. Saturn Ion is what, 02? 03? Probably uses Class 2 wiring protocols for the data communication. Likely won't work. If it was the same year/era of car.. example: you can swap clusters between 00 and 05 between Cav and Sunfire. You can't put a 99 cluster in a 00 J-ca tho. Won't work.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 12:00 PM
plus you have to take in to consideration the Passlock also.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 7:38 PM
true true. never thought of the passlock too. I dunno ill do some research on the subject.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 7:53 PM
I don't know of any easy cluster swaps from other cars.

If it was the same year of car, or type of wiring (some GM cars didn't go Class 2 til 02 or later... ie. Camaro/Firebird never did... phased out in 02 model), etc. it imght be easier then... but you'd have to accomodate some stuff.. like in the J-body up to and including 99 the cluster did a LOT of stuff. If you remove it, some stuff won't work at all...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search