a 10 inch sub with no amp...possible???? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
a 10 inch sub with no amp...possible????
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 4:09 PM
Hey Guys...

Im a student who is srapped for cash, and just got my first car, (i know, sounds contradictory but..). Im looking to add a little bass to my system. I have an 04 sunfire, but with the 05 deck, original broke. Can i add a 10 inch sub to the stock deck without adding an amp, and what are my possible risks.

Thanx

Re: a 10 inch sub with no amp...possible????
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 4:14 PM
Simply put...
No!!

One you will get no movment out of the sub and two you can possibly do some real damage to your radio.
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 4:14 PM
no.

car audio noob since 1984.
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 4:15 PM
aight, thanx.. i know a guy who did it to his 95 cav and has had it playin okay for a few years, but he aint much of a car guy so this was my next stop.
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 4:26 PM
ok this guy you know lied to you for a few years or your just making it up...there is no way to get bass out of a sub with out an amp..
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 5:08 PM
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
its very possible if he used the stock speeker output. but ANYTHING good sounding couldnt have come out of it

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 5:15 PM
If you're looking to do it cheap, look for a cheap used powered sub on eBay or something. They're out there.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:12 PM
the sub works in his ride, doesent sound great, decent, but not great....but he installed it himslef and it cost him $100, so i think he got away with it alright.
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:02 PM
Let's rephrase this, you CAN, but it sucks. About a month ago before I got my amp, I ran 2 150W 8" each subs from my home stereo without the stereo amp (probably should have just got an inverter) But I hooked it up to the rear speaker wires and it worked, but clipped like mad, so I was forced to keep it at low volumes for a time. Dude, get $200, go to woofersetc.com, and grab a kicker zx400.1, it's worth it, then get an amp kit for it (cheap, but a good brand) and you're set. total is like $250 tops, CHARGE IT! MMMM, PLAAASTIC....
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:06 PM
ahhahaha....i just cut all my plastic....just got my first car...and the plastic started melting as soon as i started looking at accesories.....gotta start paying cash down.....might take me a few weeks, but looks like amp is the way to go. And if im doin that, should i not just replace all the speakers, they seem to be fairly cheap, or will sub be enough??????
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:12 PM
you have a PM

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:16 PM
Get the sub first, then replace your back speakers they should be 6"x9". Grab some pioneers or something real cheap, better than what you get stock.
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:49 PM
Robert Freeman wrote:Get the sub first, then replace your back speakers they should be 6"x9". Grab some pioneers or something real cheap, better than what you get stock.

Wha? Replace your front's with amped components... Or if you're not looking for something more drop in, a decent 6.5" co-ax will fit if you make a custom spacer out of wood. Rear speakers? pft.

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:52 PM
Robert Freeman wrote:Get the sub first, then replace your back speakers they should be 6"x9". Grab some pioneers or something real cheap, better than what you get stock.

Replace the fronts first before the backs. That's where the majority of what you're listening to comes from.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:41 PM
yea the backs are just fillers... get some nice 6.5" for the front, find a nice amp for the sub and components and save money!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 6:42 PM
If you can't afford to do it right, DON'T DO IT!

Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:58 AM
James (ROLN19S) (JuicyJ) wrote:If you can't afford to do it right, DON'T DO IT!

AGREED

GOT ECOTEC?
Thursday, April 12, 2007 3:58 PM
Yea, I definately agree with the afordability of this. I mainly stated that he should upgrade the rear 6x9s because they are paper without any kind of surround. But then again, as stated, you mainly hear the front speakers. Well, actually, I can hear my back speakers better than the fronts, but I cut holes in my back deck and covered the whole thing with speaker cloth so the sound is a LOT louder and clearer. People say that the back deck doesn't make a difference, honestly, I've tried both and man is there a difference or what. But then we all drive different cars, all j-body, but it's logical to think that a slightly different interior style could alter the sound as it comes from the speaker in different cars. Anyway, back to topic, if this is going to be some kind of project and you will sooner or later upgrade everything then yes, you would want to get some components for the doors (Kickpanel maybe?) and really plan what you car will be like when you're all done then sit down and find way to budget it all into your wallet. Otherwise grab a monoblock amp, some wiring for it, and I'll go ahead and agree with the component door speakers instead of the rear 6x9s, or you can get both and grab some sony 6x9s from walmart, but remember walmart sucks, and for the most part so does sony, but hey for the price it's better than the paper weights you have right now.
Friday, April 13, 2007 11:16 AM
dude i picked up a cheap 4 channel amp at frys it was like 70 bills or something.......its doing great for me, also u can do 2 speakers so say those 6x9 thats right next to it and 1 sub, or just do all ur speakers amp kit can be like 20 bux on ebay if u dont mind waiting
Sunday, April 29, 2007 1:38 PM
I was just like you when I first got my cav and had no money what so ever, thats actually why I clicked on this forum because I had a 10 inch sub with no amp hooked up , for about 20 minutes, don't waste your time it sounded horrible and was a pain in the ass to make work. I went to a pawn shop and bought some used stuff, just some audiobahn stuff. But have fun with it, btw now I have two 15 in rockford p3s and four eclipse 6x9s and two pioneer 3 inch tweeters throughout my car, so just hope you don't get addicted and blow an ass load of cash lol
Wednesday, May 02, 2007 7:01 PM
yea i hoked up two 12" pioneers up in my first car (85 4 door cavy) and the bass was like crap. the i got a amp with the name LA in it and it sounded like better crap. so man just dont even try cuz its not even worth the trouble.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/tntodc38107/droid.jpg
speed is only for those who use it, smoke or get smoked!!!

Thursday, May 03, 2007 2:14 PM
people sell stuff for really cheap all the time. heck if you want to come pick up an amp ill give it to you for $10. ill ship it to you if you want. its really not hard to find cheap stuff that actaully works.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 3:21 PM
It's possible, but it won't be loud. Also, if you don't put a crossover on it, it will sound bad.

You can, but you probably won't be happy with it

Sunday, May 06, 2007 7:42 PM
I ran my 2 type-rs on my deck outputs off the 6x9's just because I read this thread.

It didnt sound that bad at all to me... then again I have the Monsoon system, maybe that makes a difference.

If I wasnt an audiophile, Id consider keeping it, it moved a bit more air and didnt sound too bad at all...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search