Do subwoofers affects MPG ? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Do subwoofers affects MPG ?
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:51 AM
If, let's say, you have a killer or even a budget sound system and the music always loud when you drive the car, is this affecting your gas mileage cause the battery is draining more so the alternator works more, or it dosen't matter ?

Re: Do subwoofers affects MPG ?
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:53 AM
it doesn't matter. Unless you have a couple hundred pounds like some people on here, you're not going to notice anything.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:15 AM
do you get better gas mileage with three fat chicks in the back or by yourself. the weight is the key.
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:46 AM
if the fat chicks are eating sausage, it gives you +50 hp!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:01 PM
"Sir have you been drinking?" No why? Are the a couple fat chicks in the back seat ?
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:36 PM
Steven cowen wrote:"Sir have you been drinking?" No why? Are the a couple fat chicks in the back seat ?

So I just lost it laughing.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:not funny... i just can't find that funny... not with 2 copies of the Candyland board game on your shelf.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:37 PM
Fat chicks are like a scooter - fun to ride, but you don't bring em around your friends

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 3:01 PM
If you face your subs backwards and open the trunk, it's comparable to 5psi boost .You gotta be playing a 78hz test tone though

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:11 PM
LMAO, thrashed the thread. You want some seriously awesome gas mileage? Buy a kickass audio system, adapt it to 110 AC and plug it in to your wall, then sell your car and buy a HUGE gas tank and fill it with Gas and set it next to your stereo system. Then turn on your stereo system and you're set. Your gas tank will NEVER drain. Hey, the logic works, but now you have a huge gas tank hanging out in your home next to your sound system, makes a great conversation starter when you're friends crash out at your place, coincidence, I think not!
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:58 PM
wysiwyg wrote:If you face your subs backwards and open the trunk, it's comparable to 5psi boost .You gotta be playing a 78hz test tone though

Lmao...I remember my friends dad joking about how if I opened my trunk it'd get a boost of speed every time the subs burped.

And to the guy above...How would that be good gas mileage, that tank doesn't move, therefor, you get ZERO MPG...

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:33 PM
You guys are jerks.

A super heavy amp + subs will effect your mpg, mainly up hills since your car carries more weight and works harder. I make a 250 mile drive to LA every weekend and i replaced my 12" sub with some very bassy 6x9's and 6.5's in the front for this reason.

I imagine in a situation where you are drawing more watts than the alternator is meant to provide, to the point where the headlights dim on bass notes, i can see where your mpg could be affected. I wouldn't worry about this unless you're in 750-1000+ watt territory though.

Sadly, no more..

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:56 AM
Your average setup of 2 subs plus 2 amps still doesn't weigh as much as your average female. You won't notice anything. Now me and nate and ryan and mark and jason, we have 3 fat chicks eating sausage in our trunks, we'll notice a difference. but when i have more horses going to my amps than my car, it doesn't matter.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:17 AM
i have two in the trunk and two in the back seat area. for now its about to get even worse.
Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:04 PM
About a year ago I decided to loose 50 lbs, which inturn has prevented fat girls from turning up in my car due to better dating standards, paired with the addition of a ten inch sub facing out of the trunk and the flux capacitor I get about an average 31x10 to the 6th miles per gallon at lightspeed ... oh and the huge 96" aluminum wing helps too.
Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:36 PM
What if you mount a sub so it's right in front of the intake filter? Would that create a ram air effect?

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:50 PM
Not unless its paired with an electric supercharger
Wednesday, April 11, 2007 1:11 PM
muffin wrote:What if you mount a sub so it's right in front of the intake filter? Would that create a ram air effect?
it would push the air in, then suck it right back out again. creating a zero pressure effect

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:02 PM
what if you put a big one way bypass valve in front of it?

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:03 PM
oooh, and rerouted your AC ducting to provide air for the sub, since it's losing air to the intake.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 7:01 PM
good idea..........get a 99" wing on the back of a FWD cavalier or sunfire and put 2 12"s for better MPG haha
Wednesday, April 11, 2007 7:44 PM
i get great gas mileage - when nate's steering and i'm pushing!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:29 PM
The fall of 2005 I drove to Kentucky to see my dad, I had 4 8W7's in a HUGE 3/4" MDF box, 2-20lb amps, a 70lb Battery in the rear, Dynamat all over etc.

My car weighs a few hundred pounds more than stock. I got 437miles to a tank of gas on that trip before filling up again.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:44 PM
Wow, and I only get 250 stock, or well got, I've got my short ram intake so it's a bit better on that, but still, wtf? 14gallon tank btw.
Thursday, April 12, 2007 4:54 AM
difference in highway and city mileage. I get about 250 in the city and on the highway a lot.
Thursday, April 12, 2007 4:10 PM
Yea, I've noticed that too actually, my 250 is mainly city driving, but if I drive the freeways for hours, there is a noticeable difference in miles per gallon on that tank. I also have to say, that on a full tank I get about half of the mpg that I get with a quarter tank, and I get better acceleration with the quarter tank, fuel weighs a LOT. Honestly, it's probably worse than the heaviest subs could ever bog you down.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search