Panasonic receiver install and review - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Panasonic receiver install and review
Monday, April 02, 2007 3:34 AM
Model: Panasonic MXE CQ-C9801U

I got this one because it was the highest-powered head unit I could find on crutchfield - 31*4 RMS and 70*4 max watts. They said it was not supposed to fit in my 2002 cavalier due to 1/4 inch depth clearance, but it worked just fine. I got the Class 2 data-bus harness with its own chime - its a little annoying because i put it right under the head unit.

The sound quality is awesome. I already have infinity reference series speakers in the doors and deck. Not only is it significantly louder than the stock HU, but its very clear at high volumes: exactly what you would expect for the power.

My biggest issue now is the rattling. With power, the 6x9's in the rear put out enough bass to rattle the rear deck. I ordered 80 sq feet of eDead SE deadener. The rear deck will be done first, followed by the doors. If there is enough left over, I'll go though the dash and then the trunk. Hopefully the deadener will make a significant difference. I'm sorry I do not have any pics of the install, but it was fairly straight forward following Crutchfield's instructions.

Questions/comments welcome...

Re: Panasonic receiver install and review
Monday, April 02, 2007 8:26 AM
How did u end up getting it to fit then ? just cruious i have teh feeling the clarion unit i wnat is the same thing
Monday, April 02, 2007 10:02 AM
I'm not sure how they get the dimensions as far as what they say fits. It was only off by 1/4 of an inch, so I figured at worst, I would have to get the dremel out. It turns out it was just a tight fit and I didn't need to cut or hack anything. In addition, the guy on the phone at Cruchfield told me they take into account if you want to add an amp through the pre-outs. Most newer HU that I've seen have a cord leading to the pre-outs, so that you dont have to have the RCA plugged directly into the back of the HU. The case with my panasonic is that the RCA is off of a cord, as well as the AUX inputs. An RCA plug is what 3/4 to 1 inch deep?

Monday, April 02, 2007 11:25 AM
most of the time there is a plastic nub that sticks up in the back of the dash. snap that off and you will slide right back in with no problems.
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:29 AM
One minor annoyance with this HU; if you take out a CD and don't get another one in fast enough, the face closes. Oh well, I guess you shouldnt change CD's when driving anyways

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search