distortion - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
distortion
Sunday, April 01, 2007 1:27 AM
just got a brand new kicker S12L7 2Ohm and a kicker SX900.2 amp. while bench testing everything went fine, i was able to push almost 2inches of excursion without a problem and no noise or distortion what so ever, well i just finished a new box and hooked it up just like before and now i cant get more than half volume and it starts to get all sh*tty i checked all the connections and the voice coils and its all still good i dont know wat the problem is if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it.

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers

Re: distortion
Sunday, April 01, 2007 5:27 AM
Set your gains properly.

Sunday, April 01, 2007 1:48 PM
i adjusted the gains up and down, t makes no differance.

Monday, April 02, 2007 4:26 AM
kinda need a quick answer so im bumpin the thread. bump. lol

Monday, April 02, 2007 5:25 AM
Not sure about voice coil configuration but, are you running it 4 ohms bridged?? That kicker isnt stable under 4 ohms bridged. Have you tried another ground?
Monday, April 02, 2007 6:57 AM
its running a 3ft ground cable directly to the battery, same with the power wire, i also just checked the voice coils to see if they were rubbing or melted and there are perfect. its a 2 Ohm DVC bridged to 4 Ohms, the only thing i can think of is possibly signal noise cause its a cheap interconnect ad its running under the power wires, but it was working flawlessly before. other than that i just might have pushed it a bit too hard. the SX900.2 amp came with a certificate that said it pushed 1085 w an the sub only handles 750."(those are both RMS btw) but i never pushed the sub beyond its mechanical limits so idk what the hell the problem is, my next step is to call stillwater design and see if maybe they cant figure it out.

Monday, April 02, 2007 7:09 AM
well as a last resort i went out and reset the amp and went with M3 which turns on the sub sonic filter and after i did that it hit harder and cleaner than before, i was pushing 2" of excursion with the gain at 6.0. thanks for every ones help. i guess this goes to show the importance of subsonic filters. lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search