Can a cell phone unlock your car? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can a cell phone unlock your car?
Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:11 AM
I hate all these mass emails I get at work. But this one seemed interesting. I am calling BS....but who knows. Has anyone heard of this? I can't immagine how it would work. Unless you had a keyless entry that worked on sound or something.

Quote:

SECOND
Subject: Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday.

Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the
spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your
cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have
the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile
phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk). Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!"

Like I said, Total BS? I'd say yes but then I said that when someone told me that holding your remote to your chin and pointing at your car extended the range. Seemed like rubbish but then I tested it and it WORKED.............

Could there be some magic truth to this one? I might have to try today, If I get bored enough

Somehow the mic on the senders phone might pick up little bits of RF from the transmitter, that RF gets interpreted as vibrations and sent to the other end. The speaker puts out the same magnetic vibrations........ If I quit trying to make sense of it this could actually work........no?

Re: Can a cell phone unlock your car?
Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:23 AM
Um, no. The chin thing works because your body becomes an antenna.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:30 AM
Yeah but for antenna's to be efficient they need to be tuned to the wavelength your transmitting. 1/4 wave, 1/2 wave.......Adding inductors makes the antenna seem longer and adding caps can make it seem shorter.......So for a BETTER or amplified signal just adding a bigger antenna shouldn't necessarily make it transmit farther, it needs to be in ratio to the wavelength. But it does. Thats where the theory goes out the window and real world kicks in. The chin thing works, Even though it seems like theoretically it shouldn't

Like I said though. I am calling BS also.
Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:45 AM
Somebody should send this into Mythbusters. LOL

Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:58 AM
if your dumb enough to actually try this to see if the radio frequency goes through your cell phone, than that email was meant for you.
Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:56 PM
I can't believe anyone is silly enough to believe the crap they read in a junk email.... ha ha ha!

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

Funny.... thanks for the laugh

...j

Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:42 PM
You can check bulldogsecurity.com... they have this thing called Cellstart
Quote:

CELLSTART is a new way to control your vehicle from an infinite distance through your cell phone
# CELLSTART is easy to install and simple to use,while providing convenience,security,safety,and Independence Eliminate carrying a bulky key fob by utilizing the cell phone as the controller

* Vehicles already outfitted with Shelby CS750R Shelby CS550R,Alert 750R,Alert550R and Deluxe 200, Deluxe 500
* can easily and inexpensively be retrofitted with CELLSTART
* THIS ITEM COULD TAKE 7-10 BUSINESS DAYS TO SHIP

# Function is not limited by distance,unlike traditional systems

# Multiple phones can be programmed to the same car,and multiple cars can be programmed to the same phone

Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:55 PM
Wow, that's retarded. First off, all the sound sent though the first phone's mic piece is transmitted at some point to digital where it is then sent over the air from a cell-site and to your cell phone, which turns the digital sound into analog sound you can hear. Second, a mic on a cell phone can only pick up 1k-15k or so Hz, no high pitched stuff beyond what you can hear and no low pitched stuff like bass. Chances are that the frequency that is transmitted from the keyring will be higher than we can hear (25+kHz), meaning that the phone cannot even transmit that signal. Now here's the third part, even if all that did work, the FCC would have never allowed cellphones to be on the market because of that. On the bottom of many things that create some kind of magnetic frequency (internal or external) there is a sticker showing the FCC id and some information on class devices. It also states that the device will NOT interfere with any other class device such as military/ham radio/CB radios..etc. I think phones are under a different class than radios but I'm not sure, if so, your wireless key remote will not produce any such frequency or variant that will interfere with your cellphone's signal to the cell site. So there is NO way for the signal to get from that little box with the 4 buttons on it that opens your car door, to the cellphone near your car. Now if we were talking FM radio, that could be different (experiment: go find a radio RC car and take the remote and put it next to an FM radio and push a button, it will make a sound, that's because the sound is what controlls the RC car, it's encoded into the FM band and your radio can pick it up and play what the sound is post recording. So what you can do, is transmit the signal from the keyring over a hi-power antenna within reach of your car and play the UN-ENCODED signal from a local radio picking up the signal from your keyring (if you even get a sound into the amplified transmitter's mic and it's possible. But then you'll have fines out the ass from the FCC for disturbing any electronic device that has anything to do with the FM band and the frequency that you put over it. Then there's the other problem of finding an FM tower...

Ok, well I went overboard on this one, sorry for wasting your time, I just had to write something cause I'm bored as hell and this seemed like a good topic to rant on. Later
Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:44 PM
Whats even funnier is that this gets posted on a different car forum everyday and i just laugh and laugh when people claim it really works and still ask about it

Friday, March 30, 2007 3:54 AM
If any body ever watches Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel, they tried this. It didnt work but I dont rember why they said. You might be able to find an acrive copy or somthing on Dicovery.com. I do rember though they deffinity said it didint work.
Friday, March 30, 2007 4:08 AM
yea they did try it and it doesnt work. the signal doesnt pass thru the phone

Friday, March 30, 2007 4:16 AM
Haha yes I've heard about this too and I tried it and, suprise, it didn't work. It was worth a laugh though.

Friday, March 30, 2007 5:59 AM
There is a video of a guy supposedly doing it on Metacafe. His car sure does unlock, but then the video is edited anyways so it proves nothing. This is as close to "Proof" as it'll ever get.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/360156/unlock_your_car_with_cell_phone/

I know its BS, It sure has been funny to see discussions on it though. When I did a search it seemed that for every two people saying BS there was one saying it WORKED! On this forum no one says it works. So props to you guys I guess.

Quote:

(More than a few people have inadvertently fooled themselves into believing the cell phone method of unlocking car doors actually works because they tried it and achieved the desired results — not realizing their cars were still within range of their keyless remote devices, and the signals that unlocked the doors were transmitted the usual way [i.e., through the air], not via cellular phone connections.)
Quote:

I'm a skeptic, so i tried something else just as unlikely to work. I rolled the drivers window down, then stood beside the car and made a call on my cell phone. Believe it or not, while I was on the phone, i was able to reach INSIDE the car and unlock the door. You'll have to try it yourself if you don't believe me. IT WORKS!

All that aside. I'm still gonna do it just so I can say yep, its BS. Call me stupid, I don't care. I waste 5 minutes of my life. At least I gave it a shot.

I think the funniest part of all this is where I got it from. The CEO of our company sent it out to his staff and told them to pass it on. The CEO of a multi-billion dollar company. I am not saying that he should have known it was BS but that its just funny of all the chain emails he could have passed on this was the one he sent. That made me giggle. Other parts in the email were unlocking your phones "secret reserve battery" and using 1800-Free-411 for directory assistance(which seems to work, it just sucks) and "The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112" (Didn't even want to bother trying this, its never good to hang up on an emergency number)

The free411 bit was at the end of the email, the hole chain email thing is most likely just a ploy to pass around the info about that number. A free add campaign!
Sunday, April 01, 2007 4:02 PM
it worked for me!

i called my girlfriend on her cell phone when i locked my keys in my car. she was in her car and pushed the button on the remote and the car unlocked!!!!

granted, she was parked 5 feet away from me, but thats not the point.... it worked!!!!

lol

1997 RedR - ZedR
Sunday, April 01, 2007 5:44 PM
it worked for me too... on my girls focus... we were around 30 feet apart. and it worked

Sunday, April 01, 2007 6:40 PM
a guy i work with has a son that is a police officer and that and about 10 other tricks with cell phones was in one of thier training courses so thye tried it out and it did work on his 04 GMC canyon from about 2 miles away. i wasnt there and havent tried it myself but i have no reason to not believe my coworker and his son that is a police officer that it did work.
Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:37 PM
i think it depends on the make model of your car... but dont quote me on that......

Monday, April 02, 2007 7:07 AM
maybe factory keyless it works?
Monday, April 02, 2007 3:45 PM
Lol, even if it did work, the question is HOW? There is no way for it to work,or at least I can't think of any way for it to. Just another thing for myth busters to take care of, hopefully they breach on this topic in the near future.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search