Amp Power To Speaker Power Question - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Amp Power To Speaker Power Question
Saturday, September 16, 2006 10:44 AM
I own sony explode 760 w 2ch amp and 2 12 bazooka @350w each in a ported box .... and a indash touch screen dvd from pioneer
and a rockford cap
im new to the electrical side of things so im wondering ... could you blow these speakers using this amp ?

Re: Amp Power To Speaker Power Question
Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:31 PM
a more power ful amp always has teh potential but jsut dont crank the amp gain up and you should be fine

Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:40 PM
i didnt touch the amp .... mind u i did have the deck sub setting to 0 and it was sounding nice ... then the box seemed to bevibrating so i screwd it and it held up for a week or so and slowly it sounded more like ass

Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:40 PM
I'm curious as to why you have such a nice HU, but cheaped out on your sound.

Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:46 PM
well im working part time and paying the bills and starting to toy with the car is a slow process .... i originally got a sony deck with the 2 subs and amp from a friend ... the deck didnt work when i went to install it so a friend gave me the deck for a good price and i havent been able to upgrade more since ...... i dont want the box but was the only choice @ the time ... shouldnt sacrifice quality for a good deal but @ the time it was the quickest and cheapest way to get a system

Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:51 PM
That Sony amp pry puts out the following, so I would not even worry about overpowering...

150W x2 into 4O 20-20kHz, at 0.04% THD

190W x2 into 2O , 20-20kHz, at 0.01% THD

380W x1 into 4O , 20-20kHz, at 0.01% THD
Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:54 PM
hmm ..... guess its just the box .....
is there sound resisting glue out there for these ?

Saturday, September 16, 2006 1:04 PM
Could have also clipped the speaker if gains were too high.

Sunday, September 24, 2006 6:23 PM
You can blow a 1,000w sub on a 50w amp from clipping. It doesnt matter if the amp is rated 20 watts lower than the speaker, it's the amount of DC voltage (clipping) you are putting into the speaker that smokes them. A perfectly tuned 1500 watts going to a 750watt sub probably wont blow it, the sub wont like it but should play for a long time.
Sunday, September 24, 2006 6:30 PM
Rich Smith wrote:You can blow a 1,000w sub on a 50w amp from clipping. It doesnt matter if the amp is rated 20 watts lower than the speaker, it's the amount of DC voltage (clipping) you are putting into the speaker that smokes them. A perfectly tuned 1500 watts going to a 750watt sub probably wont blow it, the sub wont like it but should play for a long time.

Not really. It would take a LOOOOOONG time to do any damage in that situation.

Sunday, September 24, 2006 6:41 PM
BradSk88 wrote:
Rich Smith wrote:You can blow a 1,000w sub on a 50w amp from clipping. It doesnt matter if the amp is rated 20 watts lower than the speaker, it's the amount of DC voltage (clipping) you are putting into the speaker that smokes them. A perfectly tuned 1500 watts going to a 750watt sub probably wont blow it, the sub wont like it but should play for a long time.

Not really. It would take a LOOOOOONG time to do any damage in that situation.

Actually I don't think you could at all, because the woofers made to take far more than that amp is capable of giving.....It would just sound aweful...

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL

Sunday, September 24, 2006 6:53 PM
I don't know how you could calculate the time it would take to blow a sub from clipping, that wasn't the reason of the post. I would say over 90% of blown subs, (not defective) is because of amp clipping, not because of over powering. So, I would say, a 50w clipping amp WILL blow a 1000W sub before a 1500w non-clipping amp would. So the original post asked "can this amp blow these subs?" I'm saying its not so much the watts of the amps as it would be the the clipping from an amp that was not properly adjusted, even if the amp was way under rated from the subs.
Sunday, September 24, 2006 6:58 PM
When there's such signficant headroom, clipping wont hurt the speaker. I say 'wont' because it's EXTREMELY unlikely.

Sunday, September 24, 2006 7:20 PM
Quote:

When there's such signficant headroom, clipping wont hurt the speaker. I say 'wont' because it's EXTREMELY unlikely

Well thats where I would disagree, amplifer watts is AC voltage, this is what a speaker is ment to play on.

Clipping happens when the AC wave is pushed past the limits of other things, such as lower levels of DC voltage, bad amps..... when the top/bottom of the AC wave is cut off, you get a CLIPPED wave which produces DC voltage. Speakers were not ment to run on DC voltage, this stops and over heats the voice coil, causing it to blow. So I say there is no headroom on how much DC voltage a speaker can take, it was never ment to take any! The headroom you are talking about is Watts (AC) not clipping
Sunday, September 24, 2006 9:34 PM
no...speakers are ment to handle so much heat...an amplifier can only clip a signal so much....And if the subwoofer is designed to handle way more power than the amplifier can throw, even if it is DC current, the sub will not be harmed because it is still cooling sufficiently

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL
Monday, September 25, 2006 4:29 AM
whatever has it right rich. your basically right in what your saying rich but you'd need like a couple hundred watt amp on a 1500 watt sub is all. even at clipping the heat generetated from the 50 watt amp won't be enough to blow the sub. but for the rest of what youve said your right. most any amp smaller then a subs rms can blow it if you feed it a clipped signal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, September 25, 2006 4:19 PM
well as i said b 4 ... i don tknow much about them .... i didnt touch the amp and had it installed by a audio installer ....(friend) as far as i know he didnt do to much to it ether ..... i duno ... for all i know it could be somthing vibrating that i cant dampen inside the box ... i wish i could let you guys hear it and then that would be that .... lol aw wellz looks like i better start looking for sum new speakers........ i know one still pumps ,..... but i dont even want the box its so @!#$in big it wont evem go in in thru the truck i had to go thru the back fold down seat ......

anyone wanna 4 port sub box for 2 12's ? and the 2 12's in it for a 1 12 and box ???
doubt it but i thought i'd give it a shot

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:23 PM
Do you have material in the way of one of the ports? Is the box all sealed up? Is the speaker on and sealed right?

I'm assuming it's a 'not bass' sound your hearing, so it probably mechanical.

Monday, September 25, 2006 5:08 PM
actually its really strange ....... ive done no sound proofing whatsoever to the car ..... but yet i'll have the system up in power and it sounds really good then u go outside the car with the doors closed and you can barely hear a thing ... only the vibration in the truck ... then u pop the truck and you can really hear the rattle .... ive put my hands inside the box and noticed if i press against the wood that the speaker is built into it stoped so i screw'd about 8 screws into the box to hold that down but now its not the wood it sounds like the speaker .....
so ... thus why i;d liek sumone to hear it b 4 i jump to conclusions

Monday, September 25, 2006 5:14 PM
Rich Smith wrote:

Clipping happens when the AC wave is pushed past the limits of other things, such as lower levels of DC voltage, bad amps..... when the top/bottom of the AC wave is cut off, you get a CLIPPED wave which produces DC voltage.

actually when an AC signal is overdriven to clipping in an amplifier, the output signal is still AC if it is a class A type of amplifier (audio amp) its just more of a square wave than a sine wave. clipping happens when the input signal is so big it drives the power transistors between saturation and cut off, when a transistor is saturated it cannon conduct any more, thus, clips the positive alternation of the sine wave, and when its driven to cut off, it stops conducting the negative half cycle and again, clips the negative alternation. but the portions of the pos and neg half waves that are still reproduced are still AC

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:54 AM
you shouldnt care that you can't hear it from outside the car if your more concerned with people on the sidewalk hearing your bass you could always just drive with the trunk lid open.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 3:27 PM
im not but i;d like to be able to hear a clear sound outside the car rather then sum rattle ..

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:34 PM
well the car rattling is do to no sound damping i think you know that. as for the box if it is making noise you should make a new one regardless. a box should never be making noise, and u should never be able to push on a box and have a noise stop. boxes should be built like a tank. i'd pull the sub out of the box. put it on low power and listen carefully. then if u can't hear anything build a new box, then sound dampen your car all over. maybe the box is just vibrating on the floor of the trunk causing noise, if the box was bad enough to rattle maybe its made of thin wood that is just vibrating on the floor (im assuming u didnt bolt it down)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search