Where is Tach wire for remote start? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Where is Tach wire for remote start?
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:59 AM
just a lil question for u guys, where is the tach wire located on a 98' 2.2L sunfire? i'd rather not go to the pcm..its not for my car..im just installing a starter on a buddies car. If any one could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Where is Tach wire for remote start?
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:04 PM
Use the white wire located on the connector side for the valve cover on the drivers side.
Test to make sure:

How to find a tachometer wire with your multimeter:
1. Set to ACV or AC voltage (12V or 20V is fine).
2. Attach the (-) probe of the meter to chassis ground.
3. Start and run the vehicle.
4. Probe the wire you suspect of being the tachometer wire with the red probe of the meter.
5. If this is the correct wire the meter will read between 1V and 6V.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:38 PM
I wouldn't probe the tach wire with a MM, I've seen a computer damaged that way.

-Chris
Monday, January 30, 2006 8:45 PM
Mike Strassner wrote:Use the white wire located on the connector side for the valve cover on the drivers side.
Test to make sure:

How to find a tachometer wire with your multimeter:
1. Set to ACV or AC voltage (12V or 20V is fine).
2. Attach the (-) probe of the meter to chassis ground.
3. Start and run the vehicle.
4. Probe the wire you suspect of being the tachometer wire with the red probe of the meter.
5. If this is the correct wire the meter will read between 1V and 6V.

Hope this helps!

could someone show me a picture of this??? i think this is the same thing im missing in mine...i need to connect a wire to the alternator/generator (tach i believe)

"Sunfire got stolen, all i have is the J to remember it by"
Monday, January 30, 2006 9:35 PM
ok the tack wire is orange. and its in the harness in the black tubing stuff right next to your batter next to the radiator hose. and if you dont want to use a passlock module. (considering my trick only works with 95-99) you can take your ignition covor off and find the 3 passlock wires. there should be black-black/white-black/white. just cut the ONE black/white wire on the outer side. not the middle one. but only do this while the car is running. it wil disable the passlock and you wont have to use the module to do it. the only set back is that the theft system light stays on. i just put a pice of tape behind the gauge face and blocked it off. need any more help just email me

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 1:43 AM
can you show pictures of tach wire??? are you sure that trick will work on 02??? where are the three wires??? ignition harness???

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:09 AM
Besse wrote:I wouldn't probe the tach wire with a MM, I've seen a computer damaged that way.

explain how please.
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 7:57 AM
Tach White (AC) Harness near Battery
VSS Lead Dark Green/White Passenger's Fender, Black 80 Pin Connector, Pin 16

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:48 AM
use the module dont do that ghetto back woods bull shiet
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:00 AM
what is the ghetto way??? module way??? where is this damn alternator/generator wire???

is the alternator/generator wire the same as a tach wire?

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:11 PM
dont go cutting wires to bypass the passlock.
Word to the wise if it causes lights to come on dont do it.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 11:19 AM
Sorry to jack the thread for a few minutes.

n8ball2013, I got my Alarm / RS working. Turns out that autoalarmpro sent me the wrong bypass module. It says gmbp on it but there was no way to program it to work (no "jumpers"). I ended up going to CC and getting a DEI555lw and had it running like 10 minutes later.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 3:15 PM
lol i told you the DEI parts were mad simple did you get the door locks figured out too yet
Friday, February 03, 2006 6:04 PM
Yeah it was. I didn't get the doors working yet. I have all the parts I need (relays) and I just need a warm day so I can get the doors apart and hook this all together. I read on the 12 volt that the door acutators shouldn't be fully extended or they trip a interior circuit causing the door to constantly unlock. So I have to adjust those and hook the wires up. No garage = PIA in the winter.

BTW, I hooked my tach wire to the ignition coil / control module on the left end of the cylinder head. One harness had 6 wires (purple, white, orange, purple / white, yellow, red / black) 2nd harness has two wires (black, pink)
I used the white wire in the six wire harness.

As I read the Haynes manual (page 12-17 for those playing the home game) should I have tapped the purple/white wire? It says ref sig, where the white says ign ctrl A. Or is there an easier place to get this (Tach wire)?
A pic would be very appreciated.

Monday, February 06, 2006 6:02 PM
I hooked my tach wire to the ignition coil / control module on the left end of the cylinder head. One harness had 6 wires (purple, white, orange, purple / white, yellow, red / black) 2nd harness has two wires (black, pink) I used the white wire in the six wire harness.

As I read the Haynes manual (page 12-17 for those playing the home game) should I have tapped the purple/white wire? It says ref sig, where the white says ign ctrl A. Or is there an easier place to get this (Tach wire)?

A pic would be very appreciated

Can anyone confirm this as a good tach signal?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Monday, February 06, 2006 9:41 PM
how is disabling the Passlock system totaly "ghetto" installers do it all the time. thats how i learned about it when i was having trouble witht he module. tons of installers have that problem to. just dont find it ghetto.

Monday, February 06, 2006 10:08 PM
ok is the tach wire the same as the altenator/generator???

my alarm has a yellow wire that i need to connect to the altenator/generator...it reads...

alternator input yellow 5/e) connect this wire to the alternator (generator) wire that shows 12v whith the engine running.

now is this the same as a tach wire??? is a remote start alarm.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 6:46 PM
DJ Silent, I forgot to ask does your directions say anything about being tachless??
If so then you don't really need to have this hooked up. IMO, I would and I think this is your tach wire. (YELLOW 5/E (+) positive alternator (generator) imput)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, DJ Silent and I have been trying to get this thing going for a couple days now and we'd appreciate your help and opinions.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=25&i=64169&t=64169&start=50

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search