Aftermarket CD Player install...... - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Aftermarket CD Player install......
Saturday, January 14, 2006 10:54 AM
Will the 95-99 wiring harness work on 04 cavalier. Or will just 00-05 only work. Don't care about losing my door chimes and On Star. Just need to know.

2004 Ecotec Cavalier 9.9 in the 1/8th mile. 15.7 in the 1/4 mile.

Re: Aftermarket CD Player install......
Saturday, January 14, 2006 12:50 PM
What's the reason for not wanting to use the correct year adapter? They make them without the door chime adapter.

Saturday, January 14, 2006 1:18 PM
The plug is different.

84 (or so) to 99 are all the same. Old style GM plug. 00-05 J-body is the newer style.

If you don't want the chimes or Onstar... tell them you have an 01 Tracker and get the Metra 70-2003 (not 70-2003T.. that's the T-harness, expensive one).

Saturday, January 14, 2006 7:54 PM
All 1988+ GM vehicles use the same 21 pin adaptor harness. You'll have to run a wire to a switched power source.

-Chris
Saturday, January 14, 2006 8:29 PM
2000-2005 is $50. Would rather pay $10. So if I get a 99 adapter and run power from another source it will work?

Saturday, January 14, 2006 9:22 PM
Lenko, John Lenko wrote:The plug is different.

84 (or so) to 99 are all the same. Old style GM plug. 00-05 J-body is the newer style.

If you don't want the chimes or Onstar... tell them you have an 01 Tracker and get the Metra 70-2003 (not 70-2003T.. that's the T-harness, expensive one).

this man wrote the bible. i took pictures, and wrote the gospel, aka a complete how-to that is liked somewhere in the sticky of this forum, and not the origigal link, keep going after that. trust me, it works, ive done it 5 or 6 times already in j-body cars myself, NEVER had a problem.

if john lenko says something, take it as better truth than if god himself told you...as long as it was about a j-body.

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:45 AM
99 WILL NOT WORK IN 00. Trust me. I've owned two 00's and one 99, they are nothing even close to each other.

Here's a Metro 70-2003 for $5, plus $5 shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/70-2003-Metra-1994-UP-GENERAL-MOTORS-TurboWire-Harness_W0QQitemZ5852731621QQcategoryZ64579QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sunday, January 15, 2006 5:36 AM
So if I'm at Walmart looking for it, what year and car do I look for? For the Metra. And do I need anything else?

Sunday, January 15, 2006 11:13 AM
Walmart sells Metra? News to me. I thought they only sold Scosche.

In any case.. look for a 2000 Tracker. That's the shape you want

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 8:13 AM
OK update, I hooked everything to the same color wires but it didn't work, it wouldn't even turn on. Do I have to run power from another source?

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:58 PM
Can anybody answer this please?

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 2:27 PM
Yes. Read the FAQ at the top of the page, it will tell you where to find that power source.

Friday, January 27, 2006 4:59 AM
It doesn't say in the sticky were to route the power wire to?

Friday, January 27, 2006 8:39 AM
Ahem....

Quote:

The switched +12V wire

In order to turn your new aftermarket deck on and off with the ignition, you have to tap onto a wire that carries +12V when the car is ON and in ACC. There's a brown wire in the ignition harness that you can tap. It's a heavy wire (12 gauge) compared to most other wires around it. There are also two red wires, and a yellow, pink and orange there too - if GM changes the wire colours, use a voltmeter to check which wire carries +12V during the ACC and ON key positions. If you are tapping this wire - FUSE IT!

An 'easy' alternative is to use a fuse tap on the windshield wiper fuse. This is a plug which replaces the factory fuse and adds a new fuse (along with the original one) and has a wire for the new circuit. Using the windshield wiper fuse is an old installer trick, and it sure does work! Plus by using the fuse tap, you don't have to cut any of the factory wiring. You also don't need to worry about overloading any existing circuits, because ineffect you are creating a new one.

Friday, January 27, 2006 9:45 AM
I'm confused... I thought the purpose of a wire harness was so you wouldn't have to do any splicing and joining of wires?
Friday, January 27, 2006 9:51 AM
The Poonman wrote:I'm confused... I thought the purpose of a wire harness was so you wouldn't have to do any splicing and joining of wires?

In your car, the stock radio harness does not have a switched power source in it. instead the computer tells it when to turn on.

It's only one wire..it's not hard to hook up

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Friday, January 27, 2006 10:07 AM
Are you absolutely sure about this? The reason I ask is, because a lot of other stuff I've read on this site turned out to be false. For example, everyone says you have to remove the entire dash to remove the stereo, but in my car (05 Sunfire), the center piece of the dash is seperate, so you simply unscrew 2 screws from the glove compartment, and the center dash comes right off and you have access to the stereo. I think the 03+ Sunfire interiors are a lot different from the 02 and older Sunfires, and all the Cavaliers.
Friday, January 27, 2006 6:12 PM
Actually, ALL Sunfires are just two bolts... but most people on here think the only car that exists is a third-gen Cavalier... and write things as if the Sunfire or anything 1st or 2nd gen didn't exist. So don't believe all you read

The 00-05 J-cars use a different wiring scheme compared to the older cars. The stock radio has no switched power.. just a constant. There's a new Body Control module (BCM) that sends a computer signal to the radio to tell it to turn on and off instead. It's a bit confusing, read my webpage if you're really curious:

http://members.shaw.ca/johnz24/howto/

As for the wiring harness... if you use the harness that's made for the J-cars, you have to pay around $100 for it, and it relocates the factory deck to the trunk to keep reproducing the door chimes (since the radio does that now, thru a speaker). Or, spend $120 or so on a chime module.

Or, if you don't care about the chimes... get the $10 harness for the Chevy Tracker, and you achieve the same result.

Saturday, January 28, 2006 7:02 AM
It's a lot clearer now. Thanks!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search