Theftlock CD Player/Replacing Battery, Etc. - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Theftlock CD Player/Replacing Battery, Etc.
Sunday, January 08, 2006 3:02 PM
I have a 2002 Chevy Cavalier Z24 Sedan (just purchased 01/05/2006--great car) with the CD/CASS RDS Radio system. I am planning on replacing the battery/doing maintenance that requires the battery to be disconnected, and I am trying to avoid locking up the radio. The "PASSlock vs THEFTLOCK" FAQ below...

Quote:

THEFTLOCK is a radio feature, which prevents a stolen radio from working in another vehicle. There are two versions of THEFTLOCK. The 95-99 version must be activated by the vehicle owner and has a three or four digit code that is chosen by the person activating the THEFTLOCK® feature. In the 00-05 version, the radio and body control module (BCM) communicate with each other to ensure that the radio is installed in the correct vehicle. If the radio display reads LOC, then the THEFTLOCK system has been activated.

...seems to indicate that for the '00-'05 Cavs, the radio will only lock up if it is removed and placed in another vehicle. Could someone help clear this up for me?

Re: Theftlock CD Player/Replacing Battery, Etc.
Sunday, January 08, 2006 6:52 PM
This is what I used and it works, although I'm not sure if it will work on 00+:

01. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)
02. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds
03. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don’t take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step.
04. Press or hold the AM/FM button
05. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.
06. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are form STEP 05
07. Call 1 800 537 5140
08. Press 1 then # (pound). You’ll hear “Invalid Code, try again”
09. Press 139010 then # (pound). You will be asked to enter your four or six digit code followed by * (star)
10. Enter the number from STEP 6 then * (star)
11. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice
12. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)
13. Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from STEP 11
14. Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to SEC

Sunday, January 08, 2006 7:03 PM
00+ dont have to worry about radio codes
just unhook it. all yoiu will lose is your presets...maybe

Sunday, January 08, 2006 7:51 PM
Thanks, Lash & Machzel08. I also came across the following info from Alldata.com:

Quote:

The "Theftlock" theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio [car referred to here is an '01 Cav] as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes Class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the "run" power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from a module on the Class 2 serial data circuit responsible for transmitting that information. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The two scenarios able to cause this condition are:

A radio is installed from another vehicle
A module which communicates on the Class 2 serial data circuit which supplies VIN information to the radio is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle
The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool. Always refer to the table to diagnose the "Theftlock" DTC for further information.

Copyright © 2006 ALLDATA LLC

I assume this info would apply to my car as well.
Saturday, January 14, 2006 9:42 AM
UPDATE:

What I ended up doing is purchasing an inexpensive device ($13.00) from AutoZone that you plug into the cigarette lighter to keep the basic functions running. The type that I bought can use a 9 volt battery, and also comes with leads that can be connected to a spare 12 volt battery. It worked fine, and I didn't even lose my presets.
Saturday, January 14, 2006 1:19 PM
You've probably already figured this out... heh...

but yeah, there is no need to worry about theftlock codes on the 00+ J-body cars.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search