Build me an audio system please - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Build me an audio system please
Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:12 PM
So i know jack @!#$ about speakers amps etc, but hopefully you guys cna tgell me what to get.
Price range is about 1000-2000 or well less i guess.

Basically I listen to swedish death, gothenburg rock, black metal, 80's metal, classical, blues, and jazz.
Pretty much in that order.
I am one of thsoe guys that listens to eveyr note of every instrument, and sees how each note reacts wiht this note and blah blah blah blah.
I dont think I need subs as there is no music that really requires it. So um, no DVD players or TV's dont want em. Preferably could hook up to an ipod, so i guess i want the cdplayer and speakers, thansk!

Re: Build me an audio system please
Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:48 PM
Just replacing the stock speakers and head unit with aftermarket products will give you much better sound. Just don't buy cheap wal-mart brand products though.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 9:11 PM
go with either a alpine eclipse or pioneer head unit
look into maybe alpine infinity boston acoustic speakers. and also maybe a 4 channel amp if you really want to have nice loud high sound quality!

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Thursday, January 05, 2006 9:25 PM
look at cdt audio they have vary nice mids and you can put a set in your doors and kicks then look into a 5ch amp and to power the mids and a nice 8" sub so you can hear a little bass.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 10:24 PM
sweetnloud wrote:look at cdt audio they have vary nice mids and you can put a set in your doors and kicks then look into a 5ch amp and to power the mids and a nice 8" sub so you can hear a little bass.

This man speakes the truth. I can vouch for anything in the CL + range for their products as having the best midbass period.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Friday, January 06, 2006 12:14 AM
dont buy infinity's new stuff now, they were bought out its all just name now

if ur gonna get infinity get the kappa perfects and a nice amp to power them

what i run is boston 6.5s with an alpine amp, no complaints

Friday, January 06, 2006 3:08 PM
Pioneer DEH-P80MP $299

Directed Audio 1200/5 Refurbished $178

eDi 6500s Components $250

Eu-700 MidLFE Driver $50ea

9Kv.2 Subwoofer x2 Dual 4ohm VCs $95ea

Q-Forms Kick Panel Enclosures $149

Mount the components in the kick panels and the mid-bass in the doors. Ditch your rear 6x9s. Either get a box for the dual 8" subs or mod the holes in the rear deck to fit the 8" subs. You'll want to use sound deadener all through the car. The HU I chose has a nice active crossover to get your sound tuned just right.

I figure it will cost you just around $1500 after the misc stuff and deadener if you do the install yourself, or you $2000 max if you have someone else do the work.

09 HHR LS, Wife's Car
05 Cavalier, Clarion DXZ375MP, Autotek MM8000.5 & 13Kv.2, wife's old car, updates coming soon
Saturday, January 07, 2006 1:19 AM
thanks scout 62 let me see ill let you know updates as it comes along, going to install suspension and seats on tuesday,m then sound deading, then order the speakers
Saturday, January 07, 2006 12:53 PM
if your still looking for help come visit our site at www.jlcaudio.net we can help you out and we will help you as much as we can without the high cost

JLC Audio
Car Audio And Performance Parts
www.jlcaudio.net
Yahoo: jlcaudio16407
Email: jlcaudio1@neo.rr.com
Saturday, January 07, 2006 10:18 PM
aim me and we can talk im definatly looking to get equipmetn and work done
Saturday, January 07, 2006 10:52 PM
First of all, the title of this thread implies a system, a system consists of subs. With that said, 1-2K should be a pretty decent system.

You have to consider the following:

Amplifier power compared to speaker capability.
Dual voice coil speakers compared to single will allow for double the power to the speakers.

You just have to make sure your speakers can handle the power the amp is going to give it. And a lot of metal uses bass, and music without bass sounds empty.

AIM me: atroxaranea

Sam

Ban low-performance cars, not high-performance ones.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 11:28 PM
Sam wrote:a system consists of subs.

Where did you get that idea?

09 HHR LS, Wife's Car
05 Cavalier, Clarion DXZ375MP, Autotek MM8000.5 & 13Kv.2, wife's old car, updates coming soon
Sunday, January 08, 2006 12:26 AM
WRONG! Alot of metal does not use bass, sure it helps, but most speakers i have heard produced enough bass to cover "metal". I dont want my walls shaking, or for the subs to drown out other notes. That is the biggest problem that i get from music with subs, is that there is so much bloody bass that it downs out some of the deeper notes that are used from discord, so any more recommendatoins would help! Thank you
Sunday, January 08, 2006 7:16 AM
First off, I am correct. Second, I gave you 3 suggestions and if you don't want advice, don't ask.

Ban low-performance cars, not high-performance ones.
Sunday, January 08, 2006 8:49 AM
ws6+04cav= FTW wrote:WRONG! Alot of metal does not use bass, sure it helps, but most speakers i have heard produced enough bass to cover "metal". I dont want my walls shaking, or for the subs to drown out other notes. That is the biggest problem that i get from music with subs, is that there is so much bloody bass that it downs out some of the deeper notes that are used from discord, so any more recommendatoins would help! Thank you

That has everything to do with the way most people set up their stereos and not just because they have subs.

09 HHR LS, Wife's Car
Sunday, January 08, 2006 9:51 AM
Sam wrote:First off, I am correct. Second, I gave you 3 suggestions and if you don't want advice, don't ask.

i do appreciate the advice, and just sayign you are correct is a bad way to go about things, if you are saying you are correct give statements to back it up, like i did on why I do not want subs. Still thankyou for the advice, as im trying to wad through pages of numbers trying to figure out what would work adn sound best
Sunday, January 08, 2006 10:52 AM
The best way for you to figure out what will work and sound best is for you to go around to shops and listen to the gear with your own ears. Most shops have demo vehicles that you can sit in to see first hand just how well certain brands/models of speakers and amps sound in a vehicle.
I urge you to go out and listen to different gear and ask questions because every person here has much different tastes and opinions on what does and does not sound good in their cars. We can give suggestions, but only you know exactly what you want things to sound like. It would totally suck to build a $2K system based on what dude A liked just to end up being really disappointed in the sound.

Go check out different gear for yourself - it's the only way to ensure that you'll be satisfied in the end. I (and most of the people here) would gladly give you feedback on different brands (like prices, reliability etc) once you've done some research.

The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Sunday, January 08, 2006 11:56 PM
now this topic is going to get a ton of replies, and for what your asking for, theyre all going to be opinions, so i will give you my opinion as well...

For the money your looking to spend, You can get quite a bit for the sound your going for, and you dont seem to want a lot of bass, witch is good to see in the world where everyone just wants to rattle the crap out of their car and now worry about sound quality (rolling eyes)...
My recomendations...
Alpine 9851 head unit: ~$230
Q-Logic Kick Pannels: ~$150
Alpine 6.5' Type-R comps: ~$145
Alpine Type-R 10" sub: ~$125
Rockford P3002 for the comps: ~$190
Rockford )6001 for the sub: ~$350
4 gauge dual amp wiring kit should be around 65 bucks or so.
totaling right around $1260ish. so its right in your price range and as for bang for the buck and getting your moneys worth, that equipment right there wont disapoint you.
then i would remove the rear speakers.
and TALK TO JERRY COX about this stuff, hes an awesome guy to deal with and his prices are great!

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

i had lots of toys when i was young.slinky,etc.but once i found my penis,that was all she wrote
Monday, January 09, 2006 5:33 PM
1bad02cav can you hit me up on aim, and we can talk you seem to know what i want, and i just wnna make sure about stuff first, thanks!
Monday, January 09, 2006 6:50 PM
1Bad02Cav wrote:now this topic is going to get a ton of replies, and for what your asking for, theyre all going to be opinions, so i will give you my opinion as well...

For the money your looking to spend, You can get quite a bit for the sound your going for, and you dont seem to want a lot of bass, witch is good to see in the world where everyone just wants to rattle the crap out of their car and now worry about sound quality (rolling eyes)...
My recomendations...
Alpine 9851 head unit: ~$230
Q-Logic Kick Pannels: ~$150
Alpine 6.5' Type-R comps: ~$145
Alpine Type-R 10" sub: ~$125
Rockford P3002 for the comps: ~$190
Rockford )6001 for the sub: ~$350
4 gauge dual amp wiring kit should be around 65 bucks or so.
totaling right around $1260ish. so its right in your price range and as for bang for the buck and getting your moneys worth, that equipment right there wont disapoint you.
then i would remove the rear speakers.
and TALK TO JERRY COX about this stuff, hes an awesome guy to deal with and his prices are great!

Alpine CDA-9851 CD/MP3/WMA Receiver $220
Alpine SPR-17LS 6-1/2" Type-R Component 2-Way Speaker $130
Alpine MRP-F240 V-Power 4 Channel Amplifier $128
Alpine SWR-1042D 10" Type-R Series Subwoofer (4ohm + 4ohm) $95
Alpine MRP-M350 1 Channel Mono Subwoofer Amplifier $135

If yer gonna do Alpine might as well do ALL alpine.

09 HHR LS, Wife's Car
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:15 PM
good point but why feed that sub 350 rms when it recomends 500 and will take more all day? might as well get the most out of it, and as far as bang for the buck i would say my origional suggestion was damn good, but good point, alpine is some quality stuff, but also, rockford amps are rock solid

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

i had lots of toys when i was young.slinky,etc.but once i found my penis,that was all she wrote

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:33 PM
He doesn't want alot of bass and it matches the other amp.

09 HHR LS, Wife's Car
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:57 PM
alpine head unit, mb quart components, two 10" alpine type r subs, and a alpine 5 channel amp, if you like metal and rock this system will make it seem like you are at the @!#$in concert bro, believe me my buddy has this set up and hes in a band, and listens to his @!#$ on his stereo....awesome
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 9:57 AM
my advice is if you dont know what you are doing, take it to somebody who does. and i dont mean just any audio shop. theres a local audio shop near me thats supposed to be amazing, most the goobers in there dont even know ohms law.

if you are just looking for a stereo, by some @!#$ and shove it in. if you are looking for a system, you need to make things work together.

i have a 4 chan amp, with 2 chanels powering my dual voice coil sub. the other 2 chanels on my amp, are powering my front speakers. i am not using my rears. the more sources/ speakers you have, the more of a chance you have of frequencies being canceled before they reach your ear.

there are alot of physics involved in this @!#$. designing a system is an art. components like speakers and head units are just tools, but its how you use those tools and make them function together that makes a good system.
Friday, January 13, 2006 9:38 AM
ws6+04cav= FTW wrote:
Sam wrote:First off, I am correct. Second, I gave you 3 suggestions and if you don't want advice, don't ask.

i do appreciate the advice, and just sayign you are correct is a bad way to go about things, if you are saying you are correct give statements to back it up, like i did on why I do not want subs. Still thankyou for the advice, as im trying to wad through pages of numbers trying to figure out what would work adn sound best

any band that uses a drum kit with a bass drum has bass.

saying you listen to every note and how every note reacts with each other but not wanting a sub to produce bass is like saying you want to build a race car but you dont feel you need wheels. reason most people feel they dont need bass is they hear little jonny wigger and his 1000 watt bass amp and his highs running off of the headunit and the bass just overpowers everything. thats not an accurate system. most componet systems have problems playing down below the 60hz range while powered accurately. so if you dont have a sub your missing part of the music, piano, upright bass, drums all will dip down into the sub reagion and they are all involved in music you listen to.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search