wiring for factory amp. - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
wiring for factory amp.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:59 PM
does anyone have the wiring diagram for the factory amp in the 03+ cavalier with the premium apmlifed audio system? i want to remove it but im not sure what everything runs to.

thanks guys

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg

Re: wiring for factory amp.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:02 PM
Taken from a post you replied to ! I believe this is pretty much what you want to know. If not I apologize.

Quote:

Lenko, John Lenko wrote:

Author: John Lenko
Date: 01-21-04 11:53 AM

Ok, according to the GM service manual I have... (2000 release... but all the radios are wired similarly since then... until they introduced OnStar, which doesn't actually affect the speaker wire colours)....

Off the radio harness:

Left front +: Tan wire, pin A8 (to E2 on amplifier)
Left front -: Gray, pin A9 (E3)
Right front +: Light Green, pin B11 (F1)
Right front -: Dark Green, pin B10 (E1)
Left rear +: Brown, pin B8 (E6)
Left rear -: Yellow, pin B9 (E7)
Right rear +: Dark Blue, pin A11 (E5)
Right rear -: Light Blue, pin A10 (E4)

On the amplifier harness:
(inputs are as noted above), outputs:

Left front tweeter +: Black wire, pin E13
Left front tweeter -: Yellow, pin E14
Left front speaker +: Dark blue, pin E15
Left front tweeter -: Light blue, pin E16
Right front tweeter +: Light green, pin F2
Right front tweeter -: Purple, pin F3
Right front speaker +: Orange, pin F7
Right front speaker -: Dark green, pin F6
Left rear tweeter +: Tan, pin F15
Left rear tweeter -: White, pin F16
Left rear subwoofer +: Dark blue/white, pin F5
Left rear subwoofer -: Light green/black, pin F4
Right rear tweeter +: Red, pin F14
Right rear tweeter -: Tan, pin F13
Right rear subwoofer +: Light blue/black, pin F11
Right rear subwoofer -: Dark green, pin F10

Note that that includes RPO radio code U85.. which is the Monsoon radio I think.. so.. if you don't have that.. you won't see ALL those wires on the amplifier.. you'll just have wires from the radio straight to the speakers (esp. in the front)... sure fire way to check - look at the colours of the wires to the speakers themselves.

I hope that helps!! Let me know if it does.. because I'll add it to my '2k+ audio page' when I finally get around to updating it

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:29 PM
no im looking for the actual diagram. its the only thing not in my repair book.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:40 PM
Great I think this could help me... I must have taped into the wrong signal last night.. When i hooked up my amp ALL of the factory speakers stoped working and only thing i got was a LOUD BUZZ sound from my sub... of course I quickly disconnected it... Great so I should route into the Subwoofer rear's right and left Outputs or Inputs?... to my Hi-input Amplifer.. right? I'm going to try the input from the radio first.. thanks for any help! ---- Also i think i'm right when... the AMP is located behind the carpet on the Left side of the car in the trunk?? Thanks !
Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:40 PM
I can tell you a few things about it... but I don't have a diagram with me here at work.

On the amplifier... There's at least one power wire (orange), ground (black), level (pink), class 2 (purple) and at least some of the wires listed above, depending on whether you have a Cavalier (just rear amplified speakers) or Sunfire (w/ Monsoon, all 8 speakers amplified).

The orange wire comes from the fuse panel in the car, runs straight back down the driver's side of the car. The signal wires run from the deck, down the passenger side of the car, across the car under the front seats, then back to the amp down the driver's side of the car. Then the speaker wires run forward from the amp to each corner.

You can remove the amp... but depending on the speakers and head unit you're using, you'll have to get creative.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:49 PM
Yea. i think i found the amp underneath the carpet last night when i was locating a good ground for the new amp. I want to keep the factory amp.. amp'n the factory speakers and tweeters in the rear; however i'm sure i'm not suppose to pull wires from an amp to another amp (my new sub amp). So .. with that said; if I splice into the rear subwoofer speakers for the right and left speakers right before they get to the amp as noted on above "from the radio harness" .. is shold be fine?
Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:59 PM
GOT It..! For the Record, the above chart IS perfect! That is exactly how it really is Wired.. Aleast in a 2005! i'm sure for 03-05.. aleast as well.

I Wired into the Outputs from the amp .. from the respective right and left "subwoofer" (really mids if you ask me) speaker channels.. with good ol Wire nuts.. haha.. it works just fine. Sounds good, well as good as not having true RC cables.. 'im sure you could fliter better with RC cables. I mean it sounds good, DECENT at worst.. I do have a crossover; bass boast; and fre. adjust on my amp. With out those it would really pick up to much of the other stuff; higher tones you don't want played thur your sub. Sound day i'll get a aftermarket deck, but when i do... i will want it to have LCD display w/ dvd player word..!
Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:13 PM
GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!
The monson was used from late 2001 - 2005
Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:24 PM
Monsoon was 2000+

That's from my 2000 service manual.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 10:10 PM
i found a kit that overrides the factory amp today. so im just gonna use that i think.

Friday, January 06, 2006 6:53 AM
I guess it never hurts to make thinks simplier.. but you can Indeed splice into the factory amp and keep your rear speakers (being amped by the factory amp) with out any problem... Now i just need to tweak my crossover.. wuhaha..

Friday, January 06, 2006 7:57 AM
Lenko:
I got the 2001 service manual for the cav/sunfire, it says that the monsoon started in late 2001. The 2000-early 2001 were amplfied but not like the monsoon. (I think it was only the back speakers) and the amp doesn't have a pink wire unlike late 2001 models.
Friday, January 06, 2006 2:42 PM
Your book smokes donkey balls. That's about all I can say.

In my 00 vert, I have installed the wiring harness and Monsoon amp (complete with pink wire) that I pulled out of a smashed up 2000 Sunfire GT coupe...

So if it didn't exist... how did it come to be in that car?

Friday, January 06, 2006 6:25 PM
theres nothing on the factory amp in my haynes book at all.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 10:04 AM
Lenko it was a GM service manual for the 2001 Cav/Sunfire J-body, it had both systems listed, Is it a possibility that the sunfires got monsoon earlier than cavaliers? because I know for a fact that my stock amp in my trunk didn't have a pink wire and wiring diagrams and pinouts in the service manual showed me this. Also my Z24 is fully loaded with the RDS, CD,tape,AM/FM stereo and it doesn't say anything on the deck about it being monsoon.
Saturday, January 07, 2006 1:27 PM
Monsoon is a Pontiac feature, not Chevy.

The amplified rear speakers are Chevy.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search