How to install 61/2's in the doors - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to install 61/2's in the doors
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 4:20 PM
ok first off i know its not the cleanest but it works and sounds great and since this is such a popular topic i figured id help end all questions about 6 1/2's in the doors

i used some 5/8' partical board shelving picked up from Menards for like $5 its a small piece to start with and cheap and not so much waste

so to start i went out to the car to take off the door panel the process is basically this

the 2 7mm bolts under the arm rest

then the screw in the little triangle piece and around the bottom edge of the door and with power locks removing the lock switch

and then with the power mirror stuff if you have it can just hang there like so

then we're onto making the the bracket, i just got a rough estemate fromt he factory speaker on what shape to cut out and like i said its nto perfecet but it works the hole in the center is prety clean which is the one that matters

heres a comparison of the 2

then on to the wiring, i just clipped off the factory female end and spliced into the new speaker wire so it was a plug in thing incase i ever go back to factory. i found these connectors at walmart for like $5 a pack of 9 and they are VERY simple and hold great, all you do is strip the wire and unscrew the end put it over the wire and then screw it together and done heres what they look like and the connection i made

and then the finished product and they dont hit the window or the door panel and i no longer have the factory tweeters hooked up cause the 6 1/2's i got are 2 ways anyways and tha factory set up has them run on the same channel as the 4x6 so they arent used any longer jsut for looks now

hope you've all enjoyed this tutorial and hope its of some help

The one, the only, ME.

Re: How to install 61/2's in the doors
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 4:51 PM
Nice job

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:12 PM
thanks

The one, the only, ME.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:41 PM
good job, that for sure will help a few DIYers

My Myspace Page
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:54 PM
thanks also i think it feels sticky hahaha

The one, the only, ME.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:09 PM
geeze, coulda made it look prettier!!! haha, good job. it won't stop the stupid people who don't know how to search...but at least we'll have a thread to refrence to after we call them morons.

STICKY!!!

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:50 PM
yea yea itll never be seen lol but hey thanks and yes it can be refered back to and ill even keep it booked mark for instant access hahahaha

The one, the only, ME.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 7:08 PM
Good Job!! Lots of Pictures.

STICKY!!!!!!

98 Z24

RIP Specks
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 9:16 PM
I also agree ... STICKY!!

dan

"I refuse to talk to my wife, as long as there is a TV in this house". Al Bundy
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 9:18 PM
thanks guys figured id do my best to add to the org since its helped me in aalot of ways

The one, the only, ME.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 9:56 PM
....(i'm) sticky.... lol

Thanks for the sig, Blakout.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 10:24 PM
04eco (theN/Aautoone) wrote:thanks also i think it feels sticky hahaha

Sorry, but since you said that, I don't think it deserves a sticky.

Mike Roth
The system has arrived.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 10:28 PM
i dont really care if ends up one or not hahahaha but at least its here now for search options and like said before we have a reason to call people morons and can refer to this if they dont search hahaha

The one, the only, ME.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 7:12 AM
looks good. nice job. i made the same adapters when i helped jcaff install 6.5" speakers in his doors. the sticky at the top contains a majority of what you just posted, but the pictures don't work anymore. so even though this has been covered before, i think your pictures should be added to the sticky.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:46 PM
did you do that in your driveway in the snow??? J/K

good job man. i say sticky too.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 7:02 PM
yes it was outside in the snow while it was sleeting/raining also haha but it was warm as hell (at least for this time of year hahaha)

thanks also

The one, the only, ME.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 11:01 PM
want to give me your stock speakers? lol

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 11:07 PM
sure like i said i clipped the one connector off though but sure send me shipping and if you feel to add anything more be my guest and they're yours haha

The one, the only, ME.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:08 PM
guess i gotta order up some 6.5 components now to reaplace the 4x6s.. looks good
Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:14 PM
thanks and yes you do the bass is much better i love the sound now and hardly any distortion

The one, the only, ME.
Friday, January 06, 2006 4:15 AM
How do you remove the window arm in the inside of the door to get the whole panel off? Does it just pop off or what?

Friday, January 06, 2006 6:49 AM
nice post. i'd say sticky cause i dont know how to get the pictures on my sticky back up anymore. i have them on my computer, but can you edit the post? the site i had hosted them from shut down or something.

Friday, January 06, 2006 5:29 PM
Just put my 6 1/2's in today. Much better sound. Hardest part was cutting a hole in my door panel to go over the speaker.

BlackyK- to get the window handle off just shimmy a rag underneath the handle to work out the clip. When you're done, put the clip back on the handle and push it back on.
Friday, January 06, 2006 7:00 PM
thats partially why i made the thread to cause i noticed while SEARCHING your pics werent up anymore and figured id help out cause pictures are nice haha so as long as imageshack never goes away these should be around for awhile hahaha

The one, the only, ME.
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:43 PM
do u have to cut a hole in the door panel if you install 6 1/2 or will it be able to fit under the door panel, and pioneer makes 4 way 7" speakers, do you think those would be able to fit in there too

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2092536
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search