wiring up neons - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
wiring up neons
Monday, January 02, 2006 2:27 AM
i just put my neons in the car and i have a few wiring questions... thanks

1. the switch can be on the ground or the positive side correct?
2. i can go from two of the same gauge wire to one of the same gauge wire on both positive and negative with out needed additional fuses correct?
3. hard wiring to the battery, good idea or not? any other relativly easy solutions?
4. what size fuse do i need for like 24 gauge wire? its the stuff that was on the end of the neons... is 15 amps to big?

ill prolly have a few more soon but those should do it for now

Re: wiring up neons
Monday, January 02, 2006 9:31 AM
no fuse is ever too big lol just hard wire it, and when you make your connections make sure you lick your fingers before you do it!!!

Monday, January 02, 2006 3:04 PM
yea fuses can be too big...

if its too big it lets enough current through to burn up the wire anyways.. hence the point of a fuse

Monday, January 02, 2006 3:29 PM
What neon kit do you have?

-Chris
Monday, January 02, 2006 3:37 PM
i just put 2 12" bars under the dash not an underbody kit

Monday, January 02, 2006 3:55 PM
1. the switch can be on the ground or the positive side correct? Yes
2. i can go from two of the same gauge wire to one of the same gauge wire on both positive and negative with out needed additional fuses correct?
Yes, but it is recommended to have a larger gauge wire -- 1 to 2 steps up from whatever you are joining.
3. hard wiring to the battery, good idea or not? any other relativly easy solutions?
Good idea, keep the fuse as close to the battery as possible. Also, the battery output post on the alternator should be 12v hot at all times
4. what size fuse do i need for like 24 gauge wire? its the stuff that was on the end of the neons... is 15 amps to big? Check with the manufacturer for recommended fuse size.

Monday, January 02, 2006 9:46 PM
well i just finished putting them in,
i switched the ground side
i didnt go a step up in ga wire, but i think its fine
hard wired to the battery, the fuse is about 5 inches away
used a 7 amp fuse

only problem i have is that the drivers side doesnt light up.. i think the bulb is broken tho

i had it all wired up and i checked the current with a mulitmeter and its getting current on both sides of the tube, it just doesnt light.. so i assume its dead

only thing i can think of, if the bulb isint dead then im at a stand still.. i checked all the connections and everything, its all up to par, even soldered most of them

ill get a new neon bar tomorrow and let you know how things go

any suggestions let me know

gimme a few secs ill post up how i wired them

Monday, January 02, 2006 9:55 PM
heres how i did it, its pretty simpe so im really hoping its just the bulb thats bad

Monday, January 02, 2006 9:56 PM
man im really sorry for the triple post but i just realized i just picked random wires coming off the neons to be + and random ones to be -

could that be it lol...

let me go try that

Monday, January 02, 2006 11:54 PM
nice drawing!!

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:39 AM
dirty elf wrote:man im really sorry for the triple post but i just realized i just picked random wires coming off the neons to be + and random ones to be -

could that be it lol...

let me go try that

Yes, that could be your problem

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:19 PM
yea i guess its not just like a normal light blub, there are determined + and - sides

thanks, its all working great now

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search