speakers in the rear deck and sub vibrations - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
speakers in the rear deck and sub vibrations
Sunday, January 01, 2006 3:01 PM
i was wondering if when you get really crazy bass hits does this effect your rear speaker operation? like if its vibrating lots does it make the speakers cone move too...and if so, what do u guys suggest...i was thinkin makin little boxes for the speakers or gettin those plastic surrounds, but then i dont know how big i would have to make it so that the speakers operate properly...any help would be apreciated

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL

Re: speakers in the rear deck and sub vibrations
Sunday, January 01, 2006 4:33 PM
Not only do the rear deck speakers shake, but the whole deck itself moves a bit. Best solution would be to fabricate a rear deck out of MDF (medium density fiberboard) and surface mount the speakers onto that. That way the MDF will be heavy enough to absorb the vibrations and your speakers wont vibe as much with bass hits.

The plastic speaker baffles you find in stores = worthless. They are thin plastic and when the bass hits, the plastic will flex and move the air behind the deck speakers. It would just be a waste of money for them.

If you're enterprising enough to try and enclose the deck speakers, then you still want to fabricate the previously mentioned MDF deck first, then try to enclose the speakers from there. There will most likely be an issue of the frame beneath, though, blocking you from completely closing off the speakers.

Freakin morons.... When will they learn. Hold On Not Done Accelerating
Sunday, January 01, 2006 7:11 PM
thanks alot...that sounds like fun, i love buildin stuff even though im not the greatest at it

LOL
Sunday, January 01, 2006 8:05 PM
I was thinkin on gettin them little 6x9 boxes from best buy or something and kinda mount them to the bottom of the rear deck and mount the speakers in there also (like they did in the cadillac eldorados) I got a big box for my 12's and i think it pushes a hella lot of air and it pushes up on my 6x9's and blows out the rubber surround. My 6x9s are only being used for mids and highs so they cant be blowing themselves out. So can anyone show us the MDF build for the rear deck.. would give us better insight on to what to do.
Sunday, January 01, 2006 9:00 PM
dont bother trying to mount those 6x9 boxes beneath the rear deck frame.

As for blowing out your 6x9 surrounds with bass, try redirecting some of that airflow.
Is your sub box sealed or ported? If ported, where is the port directed at?

(assuming the box is ported) If the sub box port is directed upwards towards the rear deck where your 6x9s are located, then yes, its possible that the SP could blow the speaker cone up high enough to damage the surrounds on the 6x9s. If at all possible, try relocating your sub box so that the port isnt blasting the 6x9s with the vented air.

Perhaps laying the sub box so the port is parallel to the floor of the trunk, pointing towards either the trunk lid, or towards the passenger compartment?

Worse comes to worst, convert the ported box into a sealed box. Its not difficult, or pretty, but its functional. Just cut a piece of plywood or MDF to fit over the hole with about 1 inch of overlap, lay a decent amount of caulk (silicone works best) around the edge of said wood, and screw it into place over the port.

Sunday, January 01, 2006 9:53 PM
I have the box facing towards the trunk lid. My box is really big and it pushes lots of air. i can have it facing the back and have the seat folded down and literally feel the air. almost. Drives the chicks crazy with all that bass...hehe Maybe i should face the ports to the passenger area then? could i leave the seat up and still get good bass out of it? maybe i need a box that doesnt have so much airspace too huh? Well when I go back to the states later this month (im in japan) i will mess with different options and see whats what. Thanks man
Monday, January 02, 2006 1:02 AM
yeah i know frick i feel my air pushing ... and my subs face the trunk lid! like when i got done i could smell the mdf board and feel wind going by me i was like damn thats some loud @!#$...but yeah if i can see a picture of an mdf covered rear deck with the speakers mounted, that would be great cuz im havin trouble thinkin of how i would go about making that

LOL
Monday, January 02, 2006 2:09 PM
To get the basic shape and pattern of an MDF deck, just use the POS fiberboard deck as a main pattern, lay it on top of the MDF, and trace the basic outline, including the LATCH holes (if applicable, you may just want to remove them too). After tracing the basic outline, cut the on the lines with a jigsaw or a small hand saw.

Then test fit the new MDF deck in the car, if it fits perfectly, all well and good, cut speaker holes, install speakers, and secure the new deck to the metal frame with sheet metal screws or some serious glue. I've used 4 screws to secure the deck and a bunch of silicone caulk between wood/metal contact points for dampening vibration. Its completely up to you if you want to use more screws to secure it. But be sure to mark the MDF where the screws will go through, and drill pilot holes. Make absolutely certain that your screws wont rub or cut any wiring in the area either, that would make things messy.

The only problems could arise from having the deck mounted 3rd brake light, but that can always be removed

Unfortunately I dont have pics of the deck i fabbed, but i'll search around and try to find some.

Monday, January 02, 2006 2:41 PM
thanks...yeah i do have that stupid light, but i was thinkin ill just build around it sorta...would prolly take lots more time but w/e...not like im rushed

LOL
Monday, January 02, 2006 5:58 PM
yeah, building around it would work too, if you take your time and do some detail work, you could make the hump over the light look near stock.
Just make sure that when you're done building the deck, cover it in carpet that will match your interior, be it stock, or what you want to be custom later on.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:02 PM
yeah man for sure, i wouldnt want some big ugly box with no carpet...like i do in my trunk lol

LOL

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 9:36 PM
How many watts would a sub need to be pushing to cause such interference?

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 10:15 PM
i dont know...i have 2 12's running at 500wrms each...it causes interferance pretty bad

LOL
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 9:54 AM
im curious to see a rear dash piece made of MDF also.

im just curious how you do the piece that faces the front, and meets the back seat when put up(if that makes sense)

do you just secure it to the dash part at a 90 degree angle??

RIP Kasey Burleson, and get well soon Chris Shelly

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 9:55 AM
also, does anyone know off hand the total length of the rear deck? id like to go buy some MDF on break, but need some kind of measurement from side to side. thanks

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 11:52 AM
i dont know the measurements but ill post a picture when im done just so u can see wat its like if u havent done it already

LOL
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:25 PM
47 1/4" is the measurement of the carpeted piece that covers the back deck. I have it sittin inside here soaked in resin as we speak. if love fiberglass

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:39 PM
^^^ How are the fumes? You about ready to pass out yet?

Anyways, I think I found a new project for spring break. I have insane vibration coming off of the rear deck.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:56 PM
Yeah, I have a window open but they are pretty bad, my neighbors always get pissed when I do projects with fg cause the hallway starts stinkin after a while. I would do it outside, but it's too damn cold for the glass to cure properly.

I am going to do about 6 layers and then spray some truck bedliner on the underside of it and paint the top and that should take care of any vibration noise. The metal thats in the car is already dynamatted to all hell and it doesn't make any noise at all and that's with 135-9 db's.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:14 AM
i went and got some wood last night to start this project. i woul really like to see how you guys did it though. i still may end up glassing it, but id rather not

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:07 PM
yea id like to see some pics of this as well seeing i have a pair of audiobahns waiting to be put in my rear deck

Friday, January 06, 2006 1:56 PM
anyone??

Friday, January 06, 2006 3:18 PM
you could always just ditch your rear speakers and push more power to your front speakers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, January 06, 2006 7:48 PM
^^^^^Yeah I dont have speakers in mine.... I just have the speaker wholes still there and I am going to have some 6x9 grills over those so that the bass can get into the cabin easier without the backseat being down. 4 channels for something that was recorded in two is a waste of money if you ask me.

Friday, January 06, 2006 10:59 PM
Still working on finding a pic of the MDF deck, good lord, who knew it would be this hard to find it again.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search