Satellite Antenna Location - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Satellite Antenna Location
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 8:32 AM
For those of you who have satellite radio, where did you mount your antennas on the car? I dont know where to put mine that would'nt have wires hanging all over the roof. Pics would be great.

Re: Satellite Antenna Location
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 8:39 AM
my friend has his toward the back end of his roof and it runs into the trunk. no wires at all.
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 9:45 AM
I thought you ment to watch TV

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 10:20 AM
nah, the small one thats included with the sirius radio package

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 11:04 AM
My XM and Sirius antennas are mounted on the rear deck, all the way up to the glass and it receives them just great!

I live in northern VA and I know my area has a lot of repeaters, though. You may want to be sure that your area has good reception in general.

If you can get away with mounting them IN the car, you are much better off.

Now I still gotta shave my old stock XM antenna some day...

Steve
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 6:01 PM
Put it on the rear deck, no matter what they tell you you DO NOT need it outside the car.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:22 PM
rear deck is where im gonna put mine...sucks cause i gott run the wire the whole way back there

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:37 PM
At the very front of the roof, then just run the wire under the windsheilds beauty seal, and into the car. No wires showing.

-Chris
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:39 PM
Trunk Lid

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 9:46 PM
i put mine on the pass fender by the factory am/fm antenna.

If it doesnt break then you didnt drive it hard enough!

I drive an automatic, I'll race you... 1 hand and 1 foot.
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 8:40 AM
Corsica Dude wrote:Trunk Lid

That's the same way I had mine run on my cavy, and when I removed it the shielding fromthe wire was tearing away due to opening and closing the trunk. keep an eye on it

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 9:52 AM
I have mine centered on the front of the roof just behind the windshield. The windshield seal has a flap that will conceal the wire. I ran it over to the passenger side of the car down the passenger A Pillar and into the car through the rubber boot that the wires run to the door through.
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 1:44 PM
I had mine out my sun roof and tore the jacket on the antena. had to return the whole unit. becarfull how you mount it.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 3:25 PM
Scotty B (The Black Car) wrote:Put it on the rear deck, no matter what they tell you you DO NOT need it outside the car.

Tinted windows might reduce reception possibly.
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 3:38 PM
i put mine in the lil car seat attacher thingee. there is a buckle inside a cup like plastic thing. i took the buckle lookin thing out with a crescent wrench and ran the wire behind the plastic triangular piece behind the rear seat. then under the rear seat and under the plastic piece along the doorway.
i have the reciever mounted in my glove compartment. the glove compartment has a hole in it for removing the dash so i ran the antennae wire in and the wire out to the head unit from that hole.
the whole process took appx 4 hours because i didnt have all the right tools to take the dash apart, so i was running around gettin tools.
i think the area i live in doesnt have enough repeaters. so sometimes i get lil "glitches."
if i had a digi cam i would show ya(: sorry, no digicam.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 4:02 PM
Fast05 wrote:I have mine centered on the front of the roof just behind the windshield. The windshield seal has a flap that will conceal the wire. I ran it over to the passenger side of the car down the passenger A Pillar and into the car through the rubber boot that the wires run to the door through.

Thats how I wired my gf's in, can't see any wires at all.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 5:52 PM
sirius doesnt have repeters. xm does

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 6:45 PM
i mounted mine in the trunklid like corsica dude, but i routed the wire inside hte frame of the trunk, and down the split loom at the top, so i would not have any issues with crimping. i got another antenna that im gonna put in my rear decklid to see if it works through my limo tint.

another idea- UNDER THE SPOILER. ive seen it done, and although people say it wont work with metallic paint, ive personally seen it done, and working FINE. so this way you can hide it entirely. was done nearby me on long island, NY. i guess depending on satellite angle that may affect reception...

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Friday, December 30, 2005 11:30 AM
mine is in the top driver side corner of the roof. i ran the extra antenna wire into the fuse panel and behind there and then up the door jam along the drivers seal and then along the roof seal and then it runs all the way along the seal and comes out and just sticks a little bit out. i can get a picture if you want one.

Friday, December 30, 2005 4:43 PM
When I had Sirius-

Friday, December 30, 2005 4:54 PM
^^^^did that get good reception? cause i like that idea

Saturday, December 31, 2005 7:33 AM
^ thats how im gonna put mine

Saturday, December 31, 2005 9:09 AM
now the cables reached that distance right? cause i dotn want to have to buy an extension

Saturday, December 31, 2005 10:04 AM
Excellent reception, and I had plenty of slack after hiding and running everything nicely.

It was a magnetic mount antenna, so I cut out the bottom of the plastic piece , removed the metal anchor, then bent accordingly so that the antenna would sit nicely on it. Took some test fitting, but came out really clean in the end.

Sunday, January 01, 2006 4:45 PM
I'm going to do that with my fire Joe. Except I'll just cut a square piece of scrap metal to stick the magnetic antenna onto then mount it on the rear deck. Its on my roof now and it looks bad.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search