Rear speaker size problem - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear speaker size problem
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 3:34 PM
I've been working on my sound system for the past few days. Today I finished up with the front speakers and took a look at fitting my rear ones. I had a feeling it might give me problems, and I was right.

The speakers I have are enclosed 6.5's. This makes them too big for the speaker hole by about 1/2 an inch on either side (the narrow part, of course). Also, due to being enclosed, they are a lot deeper as well:

I thought about just putting them beneath the metal in the rear dash, but then I realized a new problem. The speakers hit up against a bar... I don't know what the bar is called, but it moves when you open and close the trunk.

So I have two problems here: how to make the hole bigger (I tried pounding it with a hammer, that didn't do much), and what do I do about the bar in the trunk?

Thanks for any input, I really appreciate it.

Re: Rear speaker size problem
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 5:11 PM
the hole can be made bigger with lots of various tools. dremmel w/a dye grinder, hack saw, torch. but those solutions are pointless. unless you don't want a functioning trunk, you can do anything with the bars.

why are you enclosing the 6 1/2's? its not really necessary unless the speaker requires a enclosure by the manufacturer.

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 5:17 PM
mount them on toop of thecarpet....give ya an extra inch or so

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 5:32 PM
Those bars are your tension bars, they are the things that pop your trunk up when you hit the button, and they also hold it in place when its up at its highest position.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 5:36 PM
Sparks (The Redneck) wrote:the hole can be made bigger with lots of various tools. dremmel w/a dye grinder, hack saw, torch. but those solutions are pointless. unless you don't want a functioning trunk, you can do anything with the bars.

why are you enclosing the 6 1/2's? its not really necessary unless the speaker requires a enclosure by the manufacturer.

The speakers came with the enclosures, and as far as I can tell, there's no way to remove it. I thought it'd be a good thing, to keep the sub and them from interfering with each other, help project the sound up instead of into the trunk, etc.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search