antenna connection - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
antenna connection
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 9:19 AM
Does anyone know an easy to get to the antenna without removing the whole dash? I've seen it done in other cars through the glove box, but the glove box doesnt drop out like in other cars...its solid abs. I've had the dash out to paint my instrument bezel, etc, but im looking for an easy way around.

(its a 97 cavy btw)

I am trying to hard-wire this fm-modulator relay box for my sat radio, so I need to connect it to the antenna, figured there might be some way to get back there and unplug/plug in the new connection without having to pull it all out

any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Re: antenna connection
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 9:35 AM
no way that i know of

i have a sunfire so 2 screws and the radio bezel comes off

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 9:47 AM
lucky! haha

i have to take the whole damn dashboard out to get my radio out...

i am SO trying to avoid that
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 2:20 PM
How about plugging it into the cable at the other end? Right at the antenna in the trunk. It's a standard motorola plug into the bottom of the antenna shaft.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 3:26 PM
Its not that difficult to dismantle the cavalier dash to get the radio out. Works like a charm actually. I did it in about 10 minutes, 3 times over. Once to install a new radio and twice to change the cluster. As for the antenna in a 97 cavalier its a mini-motorla on the radio and a standard at the antenna fixture itself. Also, if you're using an fm modulator why do you need a direct hookup to the antenna? The whole point of that is so what is in the radius of the transmitter can recieve it. To my recollection most people buy the fm modulators so they dont have to fool with wiring it into the stereo. They tie it to the portable mp3/satelitte reciever, plug it into the cigarette lighter tune their radio to the approrpiate frequency and forget about it.. Best of luck

SR
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 3:42 PM
i have the adapters for the antenna. the reason i need to get to the antenna is becausing im using a switching relay with the FM out on the sat radio. (i've already hardwired the power to the ignition at the steering column).

the switching relay senses the "on" of the radio and flips to the fm out so that you get a better quality signal with no "bleed" from the FM. (I'm in boston, so it's hard to find a good station to tune the fm modulator to)

i guess im just gonna have to break down and remove the whole dash again yay fun! I know its not hard, but i figured i would try to save some time thanks for the replies guys!!!

(also, lenko, I thought of that...but it's a long cable run back to the sat radio, just going for the simplest route possible! but thanks )
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search