Alt wiring - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Alt wiring
Saturday, November 12, 2005 11:27 AM
I was wondering if anyone has installed a large case GM alt on their cav. I have a 300A alt to install, but I don't know how to wire it. In the existing plug I have a red and a grey, in the new plug I have a red (which is larger than the others-12awg), two browns and a grey wire. I was thinking I should just put grey-to-grey and red-to-red, but I don't know for sure so I'm not going to take a chance. I also have a black and green going lower in the engine bay (I haven't traced them down), but I assume that they don't have anything to do with the alt. Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Alt wiring
Saturday, November 12, 2005 8:00 PM
I changed my alt the other day. Just went to a 160 amp that was for a cav/fire...

Not too sure about the larger GM one but on the stock one the red wire on the nut and bolt goes to an inline fuse then the starter then the battery.

There is also a plug in which goes to the EMC if i am not mistaken. Not too sure about colors i forget.

If this does not help i can look it up in my book.

Sunday, November 13, 2005 7:40 AM
Yeah, I know the wire on the nut and bolt is the +, but I'm trying to figure out how to wire the plug. I'm pretty sure the plug is the same as that on a gm truck, so maybe if all else fails I can get a manual and see if it's in there. I think I will try to just connect the reds together and the greys together today and see if that works.
Sunday, November 13, 2005 8:33 PM
oh well
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 12:31 PM
whats the amp rating on the alt on a 2002 cavalier z24?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 12:33 PM
large case alt even fit a cavalier???

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Saturday, November 19, 2005 11:14 PM
I THINK the factory alt puts out around 90A. Yes, a large case barely fits a 2.2ohv with a custom bracket. Any thoughts on my problem guys?
Monday, November 21, 2005 1:14 AM
Stock alt will do 110 amps tops

I got a 160 to fit my fire for $180.

there was also a 200 amp for $250.

Look online you can find them out there.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search