Has anyone installed a car alarm? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Has anyone installed a car alarm?
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 5:43 PM
Looking around the forum I found some topics on this, but none answer my question.
I just bought a 2001 Cavi and would like to install a car alarm/remote start myself. Is this hard to do? Are there any precautions that I should worry about (Passive anti-theft system, Passlock I or II, etc.). I don't have power windows, locks or cruise. Just Air. I will be adding those when I can. Is this possible or should I have a local shop do it? I just installed my new Head Unit this past weekend and was surprised at how easy it was. (Thanks to John Lenko's post!!!!!!!!)

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

B.T.W. sorry for such a newb question
I'm a new member of the J-body org.

Re: Has anyone installed a car alarm?
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:44 PM
well depending on your alarm and its features, could take a few ours to a day or so, its alot of cutting and splicing wires and such.....

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:57 PM
Thanks Chris.

I figured it would take a while to install. But I have my trusty Haynes Repair & Haynes Xtreme manuals. Car alarm / remote start are all I need (for now). I was thinking viper or hornet. Anyone install those in detail??

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:23 PM
I just installed a viper 791 in my 97 cav a few days ago...

Even though Ive done about a dozen or more car alarms in different vehicles, I would say the cav is pretty easy... Just crawling under the dash is a pain.

You won't need a haynes manual- just a tech sheet for your vehicle, it will list all the wires you need to tap into and where they are located.. ... You'll also need the passlock2 bypass module...

Its basically just hunting down wires and tapping into them... You'll need 2 diodes for the door triggers, and a few relays...

Viper and hornet are both made by DEI- so it doesnt really matter which one...

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 12:22 PM
i have a bulldog 7002 pro series alarm and it took me like a day total to install, and that includes splicing the ignition wires, which is the hardest i say, and then just tapping into everything else and i didn't use any relays or diodes and it works great!

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 6:19 PM
Red D: Where can I get a tech sheet for my 2001 Cavi? Can I use this to install alarms other than DEI? Where can I get a passlock 2 bypass module, diodes for the door triggers & relays? I don't think they come w/ the alarm?

Chris: Who makes the bulldog alarms? They sound familiar but I can't remember where I seen them. How are the instructions for these easy to follow for a beginner
Does your alarm have remote start, That's one of the features I'm looking for.

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, This is my second day as a member of the Org.
Also, Thanks for your input.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search