how to tell if sub is blown? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how to tell if sub is blown?
Saturday, September 17, 2005 7:33 PM
How can you tell if your sub is blown, its got all jittery on me so i'm assuming that it is pretty much gone am i correct?

Re: how to tell if sub is blown?
Sunday, September 18, 2005 6:18 AM
Got a multi meter? Test the resistance. If not grab a battery and hook it to the leads and see if it pops in or out. If you get no resistance or a ton of resistance, or the speaker doesn't move when you hook it to a battery, then it's blown.

And just to clarify, I'm talking like a little 9volt battery, not like a car battery.

-Chris
Sunday, September 18, 2005 12:28 PM
^^^no no silly you hook it staight up to a 110AC outlet

j/k

Besse has it right

Sunday, September 18, 2005 2:58 PM
Did that with an MTX 9500 once. It was fun lol.

-Chris
Sunday, September 18, 2005 4:20 PM
How did the 9500 like that? I've only seen 2 subs plugged into the wall - a 15" Mmats Juggernaut and a 15" CV Stroker. The Juggernaught lasted a little less than 10 seconds before the voicecoils ripped off, while the Stroker took it (it didn't even smell funny). The Juggernaut was a bit louder before it exploded though (similar sized boxes in the same car). Pretty neat thing to watch - I'm just glad neither were mine.
Sunday, September 18, 2005 6:36 PM
ah all i know is its really chattery not really messed up i figured that the voice coil had broke and was hitting the cone or something.

Sunday, September 18, 2005 8:13 PM
a tinsel lead might be snapped off and slapping off the back of the cone?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/682845/ <=== my '91 Sunbird LE 2.0 4cyl

ALMOST DONE.. '94 Cavalier 2.2L Z-Wannabee (in progress)
Sunday, September 18, 2005 8:18 PM
How long did it last before detonating?
Monday, September 19, 2005 8:15 AM
^^^ kev, is a tinsel lead the thing that connects the terminals to the voice coil? if so, those snapped on my 1000 watt 10" subs

Another way to test if a sub is blown is to push it in, and if you can hear/feel a light grinding or scraping sound, then it's blown. This only works if the sub doesn't work at all.
Monday, September 19, 2005 11:22 AM
if its a tinsel lead, you can take the speaker apart and fix it yourself if you know how. i've repaired my own speakers before and they sound just as good as new. theres some guy by my house that makes voice coils in his basement so you take him the old one and he matches it(using the same size wire) works good as new, and only 20 bucks for the coil. you might wanna look into how to repair it if you dont have a warrenty on it, its not really that much work at all.

Monday, September 19, 2005 2:43 PM
unholysavage wrote:How did the 9500 like that? I've only seen 2 subs plugged into the wall - a 15" Mmats Juggernaut and a 15" CV Stroker. The Juggernaught lasted a little less than 10 seconds before the voicecoils ripped off, while the Stroker took it (it didn't even smell funny). The Juggernaut was a bit louder before it exploded though (similar sized boxes in the same car). Pretty neat thing to watch - I'm just glad neither were mine.

It held up pretty well. We put it in a guys car a plugged it in to see how it sounded. Tried putting it face up and put a highlighter on the dust cover. When we plugged it in it shot the highlighter up into the ceiling so hard it broke the end off.

-Chris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search