How to prevent trunk rattle... - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to prevent trunk rattle...
Thursday, September 15, 2005 3:46 PM
I was wondering how everybody kept their trunk from rattling with a high powered stereo installed. I checked the search but nothing came up. Thanks.

Re: How to prevent trunk rattle...
Thursday, September 15, 2005 3:53 PM
using one of the many types of sound dampening materials.... whether sheets, spray or some other kind i can't think of... i know i've seen posts for the best kinds on here recently... dynamat, brown bread, second skin, raamat....

Thursday, September 15, 2005 3:56 PM
the only problem i have with dynamat is the cost. if there was a cheaper alternative i'd do it.
Thursday, September 15, 2005 3:59 PM
all of the brands i listed after dynamat are cheaper alternatives... i know there's at least a couple more decent ones, i just can't remember the names, and don't really wanna search around right now...

Thursday, September 15, 2005 4:00 PM
i'll check on it later. My trunk rattles as it is. Dread to see what happens with my new system installed.
Thursday, September 15, 2005 4:10 PM
one thing i read about years ago on here is taking weather stipping and puttin it behind the license plate... those things rattle like no other. tails are also a common thing... not sure what to do about those...

Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:48 PM
try fatmat...$100 for 100 square feet...working great in my car so far

Friday, September 16, 2005 8:13 AM
A layer or two of electrical tape on the latch (not the lid, but the chassis). That's where most of the rattling was on my old Lumina.

-----
Slot Ported Box Design Calculator
Sunday, September 18, 2005 10:11 PM
use rubberized undercoating coat your whole trunk with 3 heavy coats and use 4 1'x1' sheets of sound deadening and cut it into strips put it on the high problem area's then get expanding foam squirt just a small amount in the channel of the trunk lid it will swell and prevent any rattling and your done that is what i done i have a 1000 watt class D with 3 10's and i don't have rattle one in my trunk now and it only cost $20

Monday, September 19, 2005 8:12 AM
theres some crap at walmart called accumat. Not sure what the price per square foot is but there are other alternatives like that rubber in a can stuff, expanding foam, simple tape, etc. You can, of course, use a combination like ^^^^ said
Monday, September 19, 2005 9:13 AM
i have used great stuff before, but wasn't sure if it would work. I'll take my carpet out tomorrow and see what i can do.

Monday, September 19, 2005 4:31 PM
you get what you pay for. go Dynamat Extreame for best results
Monday, September 19, 2005 4:45 PM
I have the Accumat and it works great in with the other stuff i stated above

the comment about "you get what you pay for" isn't true in this case because i have seen someone pay up to $400 in sound deadening and i am still under 50 bucks and i have almost got my whole car dead and no rattles at all

Monday, September 19, 2005 7:14 PM
and dynamat extreme tends to fall off when the it gets hot inside the trunk...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/682845/ <=== my '91 Sunbird LE 2.0 4cyl

ALMOST DONE.. '94 Cavalier 2.2L Z-Wannabee (in progress)
Monday, September 19, 2005 11:06 PM
so what do you guys do after you deaden the trunnk, and the sheet metal starts to crack?

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:21 PM
cracked sheet metal? then theres nothing going to stop that car from ripping apart

http://www.cardomain.com/id/nocho
there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who dont.
Thursday, September 22, 2005 2:09 PM
James (ROLN19S) (JuicyJ) wrote:so what do you guys do after you deaden the trunnk, and the sheet metal starts to crack?

Sheet metal won't crack. Also the sound deadener will absorb the vibrations before they make it to the metal.
Thursday, September 22, 2005 7:09 PM
Fast05 wrote:
James (ROLN19S) (JuicyJ) wrote:so what do you guys do after you deaden the trunnk, and the sheet metal starts to crack?

Sheet metal won't crack. Also the sound deadener will absorb the vibrations before they make it to the metal.

Are you new?

Are you saying my trunk isn't gettin ripped apart from the SPL in the trunk?
Are you implying that I did not deadin my car?

Well is is covered, and the metal is cracked in SEVERAL SPOTS!!!

I'll wait for your reply before I bother posting a pic or videos.

Thursday, September 22, 2005 7:30 PM
I saw the post of Rolln 19s. He is actually right, his lid did crack.

BUT GEEZ! You got like 6 10W7 if I'm correct?
Thursday, September 22, 2005 7:36 PM
it is 48W7's. Vids are in my profile.

Friday, September 23, 2005 11:24 AM
Your video's show the trunk flexing but they don't show the cracks and tears in the metal. The flexing is because of the flip-flop trunk conversion and the fact that the trunk lid isn't supported up front. Where are the cracks and rips? In the back where the new hinges were added to the trunk lid.

I'm not saying your system isn't loud. It's about 5 times louder than my system wich currently puts out 135db with a 250 watt amp and 2 12's. I'm saying that the flexing and the rips and more a result of the flip flop trunk conversion than the extreme SPL.

Also your car is one of the nicest cars on the board and I find it cool that you used 4 8W7's in your system instead of the normal 12's or 15's that most people use.

josh

Friday, September 23, 2005 11:56 AM
Just found your pics of the cracks in the photo's and media forum. Looks like i owe you an appology. I was under the impression that your trunk was still setup as a flip flop trunk since thats what is shown on your sound domain page.

Hope you have better luck with your new trunk lid without the extra holes and cuts from the flip flop conversion. I wonder if covering the bottom of the trunk lid with some sort of truck bed coating like rhino liner would help strengthen it and maybe help it hold together.

josh
Friday, September 23, 2005 1:57 PM
i got the fatmat off ebay. GREAT DEAL! i have used it all and fatmat is just as good as daynamat

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search