02 deck Install questions - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
02 deck Install questions
Thursday, September 15, 2005 2:31 PM
Yes! everyone! I know that there is a huge forum about this topic, I just want to make sure I am not screwing anything up on my girlfriends cavi. Yes, this is her screen name. I am going to put in a alpine cd player with like 2 sub outs, and a 4 volt dc box and all attatched....its a complicated head unit but were getting it decently cheap (and helping a friend out by buying it from him). I just want to check and make suer when I pull this thing out I wont be screwing up headlights, airbags, dash lights etc. I am going this weekend to buy the correct wiring harness from factory to alpine, but wanna run it by everyone to get feedback on anything else i should be doing. I am going to be buying all new highs for the car, and running a jbl 600.1 amp with a kicker L5 12 in trunk.....any installer pointers will be appreciated.Thank you for input.

www.myspace.com/lindztodd

Re: 02 deck Install questions
Thursday, September 15, 2005 2:48 PM
as long as you dont use a hammer to install you should not screw anything up

Thursday, September 15, 2005 2:54 PM
nah, ive installed many cd players before......just making sure nothing is gonna go haywire.....( i dontwanna hear it from her)

Thursday, September 15, 2005 3:57 PM
if you want to reassure yourself, read the stickies at the top of the page... but yeh, nothing very different from any other h/u install, or from the other things you're planning on installing either.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 5:57 PM
well, you say you've done installs before, and judging by your post, i dont think you have, but maybe thats just the way im reading things, im a little buzzed

anywayz, you need to run a seperate switched 12v source, either from a "add-a-fuse" available at any local auto parts store, in the MINI fuse size, or by tapping into the brown wire in the thick loom that is above the hood release. i would reccomend the latter, but if your not VERY experienced, use the add-a-fuse, its nice and simple.

2nd reccomendation: when you take the old deck out, cut the plastic behind it that is attached, you'll see what i mean, trust me. it helps when your stuffing a lot of wire back there.

you'll lose the chimes, the idiot buzzer, the things that keep beeping when you leave your headlights on when you take the key out, you know what im talking about. but thats it, despite what best buy, or GM, or anybody else will tell you. ive installed in 6 different J's up to this point, and thats the only glitch ive EVER run into. if you need help, go in advanced search and type in "guide" without the quotes, and the thread is made by me. should have a link in it somewherez that does work, i made a full guide with pictures, that is pretty much idiot-proof. good luck bro!

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Thursday, September 15, 2005 8:16 PM
yes, i have done a few installs before....the head unit is equipped with 3 sets of pre amps, but havent figured otu the other volt source, i havent done one this complicated before. But i do plan on installing the unit tmrw night, and i will probably just tap into the brown wire above the hood latch for a power source. Or i guess i could use the mini fuse method, but it would be easier to run into brown wire, as long as the brown isnt always receiving power.Why does gm have to make it so complicated? Its gm, who knows.......

Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:35 PM
Easiest thing to do...
1) Go to local automotive store, go to the antenna section. It should have the female adapter for your radio harness (A harness that Clips into the stock harness) Looks like this...

==={[ :]}====
Bare Wires Stock Harness

The Bare wires are color cordinated that line up with the harness to the aftermarket deck. Take the time to do it right the first time. Your shoving a lot of wires back there so soder and tape all of them.

2) Its easiest to just use the wiper fuse in the fuse panel. Easy way to tell its not a "Live" wire all the time. Just climb in the car and try to turn on your wipers... they won't run until the key is turned.

3) The clips he is referring to in the back... once you remove the stock unit there is plastic in the back, A vertical piece of plastic on both sides, get some tin snips or dikes and just cut them out. They make it difficult for the new unit to fit back there because all the extra wires.

Slide in New headunit with RCA Cables ready.

Make sure that your RCAs are ran on the opposite side as the power wire otherwise you can get interference also known as alternator whine, its annoying and trust me your girlfriend will nark about it.

Other than that its all pretty straight forward, tape off any exposing wires possible and try and keep it clean.

Good Luck!

Friday, September 16, 2005 9:20 PM
why do i need to run a spereate 12v source switch? doesnt the head unit wires have power ran to them already? im going tomorrow to get the harness adapter and all so i can start splicing, but it doesnt make sense why i would need anotehr 12v source, what is this used for?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search