6.5" CDT Components TOO BIG! woops - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
6.5" CDT Components TOO BIG! woops
Monday, September 12, 2005 9:12 PM
I use to have a pair of 6.5" Elcipse 3 ways in my doors (04cavalier) and i mounted them by making a mdf ring. But these new CDT components i just got are way too big. even if i had a 2 inch mdf ring itd still hit the glass and obviously hit the door pannel. What im wondering is what you guys with the larger speakers did? I'm thinking the only way i can mount these is if i make some kick pannels. But i have a few questions are kick pannels sealed? or is it just a front? if its sealed does it really matter about air space? any help would be really appreciated and pics would really help too!

Re: 6.5
Monday, September 12, 2005 10:15 PM
Having your 6.5s sealed would definitely help increase midbass upfront. I know that Q-forms kick panels don't come with sealed backs (alot of people fiberglass the backs of them to make a sealed enclosure) and they may not fit your 6.5s (depth and diameter wise). Custom door panels/pods (or kicks) are another option you could go with if Q-forms won't work.
Tuesday, September 13, 2005 9:33 AM
unholysavage wrote:Having your 6.5s sealed would definitely help increase midbass upfront. I know that Q-forms kick panels don't come with sealed backs (alot of people fiberglass the backs of them to make a sealed enclosure) and they may not fit your 6.5s (depth and diameter wise). Custom door panels/pods (or kicks) are another option you could go with if Q-forms won't work.

the ones i got have seald backs. whats the modle number for your cdt comps. i have the cl-61 and mine fit in there fine with 3/4mdf

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 10:30 AM
What model # are your Q-forms? I can't seem to find any for a cav that are sealed off.
Tuesday, September 13, 2005 10:33 AM
the model number i have is CL-62. i snapped a few pictures to show what i mean. The speakers are in as far as they can go but the windows are rolled up, if they were down itd hit the glass and they still would need atleast a 1.5 inch speaker adapter. im thinking of just making some kick panels. Is it that hard? Im skeptical of trying it now or waiting till i come back from Mobile Dynamics where theyll teach me how to do that kind of stuff properly.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 10:36 AM
I have the newset version of the Type R 6.5 inch compents in the front doors and they are HUGE. For them to fit in my car the window regulator assembly, glass and all had to be unbolted and spacers put in to push it farther away from the insdie of the door, like move it 1/2 inch towards the outsdie of the vehicle and cut out the factory 4X6 hole in the metal and then use I think 1 inch MDF spacer for it to clear the window and its just BARELY clears the inside of the door panel when they move but they did fit.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 11:58 AM
your just gonna have to face the facts, and build some custom kickpanels, or make some fiberglass buildouts on your door panels. have fun!!

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 1:03 PM
I have the exact same speakers. How did I mount them ?

HARD lol.

1. Buy a plastic 6.5 mount.

2. Measure it out and custom fabricate wood peices to shim the driver up a bit on the mount.

3. PITA PITA PITA, it takes hours worth of work, these puppies i beleive are bigger then the cl 61's and newer Type R's. It literally took me and a installer @ my local shop 2 hours each working on both doors. It was ugly loooking, but solid. They sound orgasmic as well. CDT as the saying goes "wins period." (thats with installing dynamat as well)" WELL WORTH IT though, even off HU power they put on a excellent show.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Tuesday, September 13, 2005 1:37 PM
careful if u do kicks put a midbass driver in to small an enclosure and you will lose midbass not gain it. most are designed to use around the same amount of airspace an average size door holds. id contact the manuf. and see how small an cnclosure they can be put in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, September 14, 2005 9:55 PM
sounds like a lot of work just keep my interior looing stock. Im pretty sure im gonna make some kick panels, ya i know itll be more work but i've always wanted some anyways. I have another question though when i make the kick pannels i want them to look/attatch rougly like the Q logic ones, but i have no idea how the Q logic ones attatch to the threshold? reson i ask is because i want to cover them in vinyl so the texture is kind of the same but i believe if i cover the entire kick panel and the threshold the door panel will hit it. what have you guys done?
Friday, September 16, 2005 6:36 AM
This thread answers a question for me. Looks like I'm sticking with my Vifa 5" midbasses.

-----
Slot Ported Box Design Calculator

Friday, September 16, 2005 1:40 PM
duy tang wrote:sounds like a lot of work just keep my interior looing stock. Im pretty sure im gonna make some kick panels, ya i know itll be more work but i've always wanted some anyways. I have another question though when i make the kick pannels i want them to look/attatch rougly like the Q logic ones, but i have no idea how the Q logic ones attatch to the threshold? reson i ask is because i want to cover them in vinyl so the texture is kind of the same but i believe if i cover the entire kick panel and the threshold the door panel will hit it. what have you guys done?

dont' make a seperate kickpanel then, use the stock one and attache a ring for the woofer (or whatever baffle you make). then wrap it and do it all as one piece.

You can then texture paint it back to look like the stock plastic, and it'll be all one piece.

the q-logic ones require you to cut off the stock kickpanels, and then a few screws hold them in.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Friday, September 16, 2005 2:33 PM
wysiwyg wrote:
duy tang wrote:sounds like a lot of work just keep my interior looing stock. Im pretty sure im gonna make some kick panels, ya i know itll be more work but i've always wanted some anyways. I have another question though when i make the kick pannels i want them to look/attatch rougly like the Q logic ones, but i have no idea how the Q logic ones attatch to the threshold? reson i ask is because i want to cover them in vinyl so the texture is kind of the same but i believe if i cover the entire kick panel and the threshold the door panel will hit it. what have you guys done?

dont' make a seperate kickpanel then, use the stock one and attache a ring for the woofer (or whatever baffle you make). then wrap it and do it all as one piece.

You can then texture paint it back to look like the stock plastic, and it'll be all one piece.

the q-logic ones require you to cut off the stock kickpanels, and then a few screws hold them in.

thats how im doing mine, if i ever get around to working on them again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, September 16, 2005 4:20 PM
do you mean make something to cover up the grill that the speaker is mounted on too?
Friday, September 16, 2005 5:07 PM
duy tang wrote:do you mean make something to cover up the grill that the speaker is mounted on too?

no, not exactly.

i'm talking about reshaping your stock kickpanel to hold a speaker. instead of making seperate ones and then attaching them somehow

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Friday, September 16, 2005 7:59 PM
ok i understand now but if i do that and wrap the entire thing in vinyl will it hit the bottom of the door? i just want to keep the texture relatively the same.
Friday, September 16, 2005 8:50 PM
duy tang wrote:ok i understand now but if i do that and wrap the entire thing in vinyl will it hit the bottom of the door? i just want to keep the texture relatively the same.
SEM Texture spray, plastic prep and some plastic dye matched to your interior. A good paint and body supply shop can hook you up. When I did mine I spend $30 on interior dye alone.

The dye will have to be applied with either a paint gun or foam brushes.

-----
Slot Ported Box Design Calculator
Friday, September 16, 2005 9:22 PM
thanx for the help. do you have any pics?
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 8:24 PM
ok i emailed CDT and they said

"Hi,
Thanks for buying CL-62 speakers.
Please don’t put them in the kick pod. They will not sound good!!
They need a pretty good size enclosure and are designed for door mount.
Rather put your money in dampening the door and door panel well and if possible make a baffle for the driver.
You should only use 4” maybe 5” in kick pods if you are looking for the drivers perfect performance

You can find all parameters on this page: download CL-6 pdf file.: http://www.cdtaudio.com/midbass_drivers.htm
Check this page for tip pn good speaker placement: http://www.cdtaudio.com/speaker_placement.htm

Rgds
John
CDT Customer service"

I dunno im a little confused. should i make some kicks anyways? im not really looking for big bass because i have subs for that. but will they actually sound crappy?
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 4:54 AM
I modified my door panels to look as stock as possible and still mount HD-62's...

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 8:53 AM
ya i really wouldnt mind doing something like that only problem is i have a cavalier. that looks really nice though

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 11:21 AM
I'm assuming the only real thing ill be losing from putting these in kicks would be mid bass so i went ahead and started. I'm not an expert at fiberglassing but im pretty sure im know how to do it. If im at all wrong id really appreciate it if someone corrected me.
1. The only thing i've done so far is put tinfoil around the area i want to fiberglass.

2. Fiberglass the threshold to the base and trim it so the shape i want.
3. Make MDF ring for tweeter and mid, support it with dowel, and angel it using a laser pointer.
4. stretch fleece over the enclosure and glue into place.
5. Fiberglass over the fleece and pour some resin into the inside of teh enclose to make it stronger.
6. Sand...bondo...sand... texture... paint.

Any more help or tips would be great
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search