glowface gauge boo-boo - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
glowface gauge boo-boo
Sunday, July 24, 2005 8:34 PM
My Ractive whitefaced gauge was installed about 3 years ago or so. When it was installed, it had a switch to change the brightness and also change color from blue to green. Well about a year ago, I broke the switch off (installers had it poorly placed, honest). When the switch broke, it was set to blue, which is why I got it in the first place, so no problems there.
Present day...almost.... About 2 months ago I needed my headlight switch replaced. When the guy replaced the switch he stuck the wires to the gauge somewhere deep behind the steering column. After that, my guage would intermitantly go out. Driving down the road at night, glowing bright blue, suddenly to black. I thought maybe he did something to the wires and they just needed to be retaped.
So being the electrical genius I am (much sarcasm intended) I took the steering column off and fished out the wires. 4 wires - 2 blue, 2 greyish.
The 2 blue are loosely connected, both grey are seperate.
So I think blue-blue. Sweet, it works. But for some reason I decided to try other combinations to see if I could get it back to green as well. When I touched one of the blue wires to one of the grey, my dash flickered a couple times, then went out. So I think, no problem, back to blue-blue.
Only now, blue blue doesn't work anymore.
Any help? Anyone? Please???

i looked around to find a pic for demonstration, but all i could find was this link for a Suburban on ebay. But it's the same brand and type as the pic, just for my cav.

...welcome to Crazy World...

Re: glowface gauge boo-boo
Sunday, July 24, 2005 8:42 PM
you moron lol you had it working

check your fuse depending on what wires you touched together you could have blown a fuse or just fried the circuits.. if the fuse is fine.. i think its trash now lol

Monday, July 25, 2005 11:59 AM
i hate taking my car to places to get fixed, they always screw up my mods and then act as tho they had nothing to do with it when i confront them about
does anyone else have this problem or do i just have bad luck with shops?

Monday, July 25, 2005 4:15 PM
yea shops are no good man lol

i had a bad experience too... it happens

Monday, July 25, 2005 8:50 PM
Is there any way to tell if those lil fuses are blown or should I just start swapping to see if it helps?

...welcome to Crazy World...
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 1:53 AM
can someone show me a picture of the headlight switch where you connect the gauges so they turn on when you turn the headlights on???

"Sunfire got stolen, all i have is the J to remember it by"
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:46 AM
rangeviper wrote:Is there any way to tell if those lil fuses are blown or should I just start swapping to see if it helps?

umm its not that hard to see if they are blown. pull out each fuse(or check your manual to find the correct one for dash or instrament light is) and if you put it out and it looks like it had a burn mark then it is blown. If you pull it out and it looks like there is still a wavy thin piece of metal connected to both sides then it is not blown. Hopefully this is your problem and you did not fry any circutry underneith your dash.
good luck

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:32 PM
mdk wrote:i hate taking my car to places to get fixed, they always screw up my mods and then act as tho they had nothing to do with it when i confront them about
does anyone else have this problem or do i just have bad luck with shops?

Yeah it makes me mad, they act like there is no reason you should be doing things like that to your car. Ever heard of creativity? @!#$s. I had a guy at walmart when I was getting my oil changed (I dont have a garage, and i had a coupon) check my air filter which is a K&N in the stock location and I specifically told him not to check it. Well my 4 guage power wire runs kinda over the air box and when he was taking the cover off he pulled the 4 guage out of my fuse block right out of it's crimped ring terminal and then acted like it was my fault for running the wire there.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search