Removing the DRL - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Removing the DRL
Saturday, July 23, 2005 8:37 AM
Hey guys,
Qucik question about disabling my DRL. I have a 2001 2.4L Cavy and I already know where the relay I have to remove is.....now the problem is the J-body library is for a 99 cavy. Will that be different for my cavy or will I also have the passenger high beam prob? Any help on this would be awesome. Thanks

ShiftyCav wrote:thats probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. you should take that serpentine belt and wrap it around your neck.

Re: Removing the DRL
Saturday, July 23, 2005 10:10 PM
First off, tinkering with that relay will cause the headlight prob. What would need to happen is there is a wire at the BCM that needs to be cut and regrounded. Check this thread as well as the instructions below.

Taken from:

lightsout.org

Quote:

2000 Cavalier, Sunfire

I have a better fix for the Cavalier DRL disable, with absolutely NO side affects. I had to buy the GM service manual to get all the info needed, but it works perfect. All you have to do is locate the Body control module located on the drivers side kick panel ( in front of the door, by your feet) once you are there, there are three connectors that plug into it. the middle plug has two rows of pins. The plastic keepers are lettered "A" and "B" unplug the center plug (the dome light will go off when you do this) locate the "A" & "B" markings on the darker blue portion of the connector. On the "B" side row of pins, there is a dark blue wire six spaces over from the one side, seven over from the other. Cut this wire and simply add on a piece to the side that goes to the module connector, long enough to reach any good ground lug, like a screw in the metal part of the dash. Connect the wire to ground, and inside the body control module, it see this to mean that the regular headlights are on, and so it energizes the relay that turns off the DRL's. That's it, try it, it works perfect, NO side Affects. I tried the relay trick before this, and was not happy with all the added stuff I would have to do to get around the side affects. besides, I can put this back as easy as splicing a wire back in place. So PLEASE try this, and save Fuel, and my eyes, because you might be driving on the same road as me some day, and I won't blind you.

Sunday, July 24, 2005 8:21 PM
How To: Disable Daytime Running Lights (DRL) on 2000-2005 J-Body Vehicles

Approximate Time Needed To Perform Modification: 5-10 Minutes

Tools Required:

- Ratchet
- 1/2" Socket
- Electrical Tape
- Piece of 16 gauge wire (or approx. 16 gauge)
- Wire Strippers

1. Pull back carpet on driver's side kick panel area and locate the BCM. It is a black computer box marked with a white sticker reading "BCM".

2. There are 2 Blue plugs and 1 smaller Purple plug plugged into the BCM. Unplug the middle one by pulling back the blue tab. It will slide right out.

3. Turn the plug so that you can see the wire side. You'll notice that there are 2 sets of wires, one is lightly marked "A" and the other "B". There are holes for 12 wires in each set but not all the holes are filled.

4. Locate the ONLY Dark Blue wire of the bunch. There is ONLY ONE DARK BLUE WIRE. This wire controls the Daytime Running Lights (DRL).

5. Seperate the Dark Blue wire just enough from the others to work with it. Cut it about 2.0-2.5" from the plug side and strip the covering to expose an area of bare wire.

6. Take a piece of 16 gauge wire and strip the covering from an area on both ends to expose bare wire.

7. Twist one end of the 16 gauge wire with the end of the 2.5" piece of Dark Blue wire coming from the plug - then tape it up with electrical tape.

8. With the ratchet and the 1/2" socket, loosen one of the 2-1/2" bolts attaching the steering column.

9. Take the other end of your 16 gauge wire and attach it to the steering column bolt you just loosened and tighten it back up. These bolts make excellent grounds as there is no paint, just bare metal.

10. Now tape up the loose end of Dark Blue wire that is left over and just tuck it somewhere, or tape it to something.

11. Plug the connector back into the BCM. You'll hear it "click" when it's in fully.

12. Finally, replace the carpet and make sure to tuck away any excess wires under the carpet.

You're done! Now, the first time you start your car after doing this modification, the instrument panel DRL light MAY OR MAY NOT flash a few times. In either case, the DRL's are now officially turned off. Your headlights and corner lights work normally. You won't have any unwanted flashing lights of any sort on your instrument panel! Works on 2000-2005 Pontiac Sunfires and Chevrolet Cavaliers, all models.

There you go.

J-Body Club of Ontario (JCO)
Sunday, July 24, 2005 8:46 PM
did the top set of instructions say to ground out both sides? the plug side and the car side? or did i read it wrong?

to disable them all i have to do is cut the wire and ground it out right?

Sunday, July 24, 2005 9:20 PM
dirty elf wrote:did the top set of instructions say to ground out both sides? the plug side and the car side? or did i read it wrong?

to disable them all i have to do is cut the wire and ground it out right?

When you cut the dark blue wire, leave at least 2-1/2" of wire coming out of the plug. This is the end that you have to ground. Attach your 16-gauge wire to this end of the wire and ground it.

The other end coming from the firewall can just be set aside, as it is no longer needed. I just taped off the end and tucked it away.

J-Body Club of Ontario (JCO)
Sunday, July 24, 2005 10:45 PM
^^^what cyklone said.

I re-read the first set of instructions, and yeah, it's not too clear.

To translate:

Quote:

On the "B" side row of pins, there is a dark blue wire six spaces over from the one side, seven over from the other. Cut this wire and simply add on a piece to the side that goes to the module connector, long enough to reach any good ground lug, like a screw in the metal part of the dash. Connect the wire to ground, and inside the body control module, it see this to mean that....

Cut the wire as specified, ground the wire coming from the module. Once connected to ground, the BCM thinks that the headlights are on, thereby disabling the DRL's.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search