Finally got some work done (Lots of pic's) - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Finally got some work done (Lots of pic's)
Saturday, July 23, 2005 9:33 PM
Well, since my pop passed away last month I havn't really had much ambition or time to work on my stereo so it's been sitting for far to long. This weekend a friend at work asked if I wanted to join him and a bunch of friends for a mountain camping excursion and even though I would've loved to go... I decided to pass and got this done so far.

For the record, a 34" x 22" x 14" box will fit into the trunk of a 3rd gen cavalier through the back! But only if the subs are not installed. I kindof half expected to be cutting metal out from behind my rear seat to get this thing to go in... but by some act of God it fits. Plus as an added bonus my (3) 600watt Alpine amps fit across the back almost perfectly! Gives me that warm and tingly feeling just thinking about it

And before anyone asks me how does it sound, I don't know. I didn't really figure there would be much of a point installing it with the amp/subs I'm running (one of the subs is ontop the box in the pic) and only having a pair of Phoenix Gold 6x9's running off the deck for the rest of the stereo. So the box goes in when the front door pannels go in!

And speaking of which...

So yeah, that's where I'm at right now. I'm at the stage of getting rid of all the low spots in the pannel. And now the problem I'm facing right at this moment is how to finish the pannels

What do you guys think? Paint/Vinyl/other?

Now here is the info

Paint: Very hard, all edges have to be perfect, all pin holes removed, sanded to absolute perfection. It's also a high traffic area so I'm wondering how the paint would hold up over time people rubbing arms on it, sometimes passengers kick it etc.

Vinyl: Needs to be decently finished (probably not much more then where I'm at right now) Edges again need to be pretty decent but not nearly as perfect as paint... so saves alot of time plus vinyl would hold up better to abuse over time. One thing I'm worried about though is the armrest, that would strech the vinyl pretty good and I'm worried it will bubble over time.

I prefer the look of paint, but like I said above I'm worried about it's longevity and how much extra work is involved. Any input/oppinions/comments are always appriciated.

Re: Finally got some work done (Lots of pic's)
Sunday, July 24, 2005 4:40 AM
get it painted with automotive paint for the exterior... dont see that paint rubbing off...

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Sunday, July 24, 2005 12:19 PM
looks great so far man!

Sunday, July 24, 2005 2:27 PM
could always texture paint it. or do a combonation of paint/vinyl or suede..or leather..whatever you want.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Sunday, July 24, 2005 5:58 PM
i think paint combos on door panels look sweet

Monday, July 25, 2005 6:23 AM
black/leather.. go for the refined luxury look. classy

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Monday, July 25, 2005 12:02 PM
yeah I would deffinately paint them and let the passengers know not to be crazy, I think you would be happier in the end if they were painted.
Tuesday, July 26, 2005 6:46 PM
ok heres what u do. get some of that moldable carpet (like the floorboard/trunk) that will solve the bubbling up problem however it isnt as easy to clean. use another piece of carpet or some thin foam and cut out a design to put on the bottom half and lay the vinyl over giving u a 3d effect and being more durable.
Tuesday, July 26, 2005 6:47 PM
by the way sorry bout ur pops and the box n panels look great!
Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:47 AM
paint them with the paint on the outside of ur car... beside minor scratches i doubt it will fk* up... ive had really good luck with my krylon tho, no scratches or fading yet and its been like 2 yrs

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Thursday, July 28, 2005 10:14 AM
are you good enough to wrap it vynal? if you arnt good enough to do it without wrinkles, have someone else do it, or think about painting it, also painting it is good as long as the panel is perfectly smooth without any waves, im not just talking smooth. any bump or wave or imperfection is going to be magnified 10x when it has paint on it. it can look good either way if done right, painted right it should hold up as good as vynal will. ive seen vynal scuff easier then my painted panels.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search