What do you people use to make sigs, chops, toons? - Image Manipulation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What do you people use to make sigs, chops, toons?
Saturday, November 10, 2007 9:22 AM
What do you people use to make sigs, chops, toons? I'd like to know so that I can buy the software and start learning. I'm not going to go buy it right now right now but later later. Unless someone could mail me a copy of the software for free.

Re: What do you people use to make sigs, chops, toons?
Saturday, November 10, 2007 5:26 PM
mostly photoshop

Saturday, November 10, 2007 5:44 PM
Indeed, Photoshop is an industry standard. As far as toons, Illustrator could be used in lieu of Photoshop if the person does real vectors instead of pseudo vectors. Depends on the person.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:01 PM
photoshop

another option is paint shop pro.

some free ones are Paint.Net and TheGimp.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Sunday, November 11, 2007 2:36 AM
With respect to imaging software, there are essentially two varieties:

1) Vector-based editors
2) Bitmap-based editors

Vectors are in essence, "line drawings". Any images which require the ability to be scaled to any given size without distortion must be created using a vector-based editor. I would say that 90%, if not more, of professional design work is done using vector programs as their primary tool, with Adobe Illustrator being the longtime reigning king of them all.

Bitmaps, in their most basic oversimplified definition, are "real" images. Photographs are the primary example of a bitmap image. Bitmap images are the ones that you see, where when they are increased in size, you can visibly notice the pixels as the image becomes distorted (or "pixelated"). Again, Adobe holds the title in this category with Photoshop.

The proper, or improper usage of either a bitmap or vector imaging editor is a golden telltale sign of whether the designer is an inexperienced amateur, or someone who knows what they're doing. If someone creates a corporate logo for you and it is in bitmap form, it's time to find a new designer (granted, there are always exceptions to the rule). On the flip side, if your artist says that they're going to touch up your wedding photographs using Illustrator, move on to the next candidate.

In terms of signatures, I personally use Illustrator to begin with. I accomplish about 95% of the work with that program, and then export it to Photoshop for the final touches and web-compression file exporting.
For chops, again, I begin in Illustrator, and will then move to Photoshop for any minor bitmap modifications.
Lastly, for toons, a true-to-life actual toon is composed using vector imaging (Illustrator) for 99.99% of the work. In some instances, the final product can be touched up in Photoshop, but this is not necessary.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 7:14 PM
Maybe one of us should set up a how-to with links to alternatives and basic tuts so we can get more editors and less requesters in this forum

Sunday, November 11, 2007 7:30 PM
Paint Shop Pro or PhotoShop depending on my mood.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search