Do u think Toons/Renderings should be Free? - Image Manipulation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Do u think Toons/Renderings should be Free?
Friday, November 04, 2005 4:00 PM
Alright well alot of people seem to have different opinions on this and i thought id just bring it up and get views on both sides.. If u dont know what a Toon or Rendering is here is a pic of both
This is a toon(distortion of the car):

This is a rendering(no distortion in car):

Now, I toon or render cars and after doing a couple it gets old, the only motivation to keep doing them is some sort of $. I also think toons should have some sort of cost because we spend 10-15 HOURS or sometimes more on a single toon during our spare time between school, family, or work.. Most of u who go to work plan to get paid for every hour u work right?(i kno i do) Well if u think toons should be free, go to ur boss and tell them u are working for 10hrs for FREE at no pay, and u will work just as hard as if u were gettin paid.. Now would u want to do that? most wouldnt.. Also, most of the people doing these are in Image Manipulation or Web Design because they plan to make it a career. I am using it for something to fall back on if something goes wrong with me trying to be in Auto Body/Collision Repair.. so getting paid for them is somewhat like a career start, it can also make a person figure out if this is what he/she wants to do for a career. Now, how much should we charge? well i usally say around $40 and i know some of the more Top quality toons people pay around $60 sometimes, well just think, in a 10hr time frame at $40, thats 4bucks a hour or if u go over 10hrs it gets even less! Now last time i checked minimum wage was 5.25, and i know starting pay for digital web design is higher than that so technically $40-$60 for a toon isnt much for what it should be..

There are a few other reason why i think there should be some sort of charge but i will let others list their opinions. So just post below if u think they should be free or should be charged, and then post why u feel that way. I'm not trying to be rude here just trying to understand why people think they should be free, or why people always ask for a toon and expect it to be free..(unless creator says they will do it for free)

Re: Do u think Toons/Renderings should be Free?
Friday, November 04, 2005 4:03 PM
i agree

Friday, November 04, 2005 4:04 PM
Don't think they should be free by any means, however though I have a hard time believing anyone is willing to pay those amounts for a "tooned" version of their car. Your work is awesome, I'll give you that, and I admire the time you take and the outcome. Simply put though, there are tons of other things that have higher priority that I could spend $40 on. Once again not being rude.

Friday, November 04, 2005 4:05 PM
it tight very nice

cardomain page
Friday, November 04, 2005 4:17 PM
I think some people need practice...and do need to do some for free.....but the guys that are outragesly Talented should charge....unless there fellin really nice

www.teamexoticimage.com / myspace.com/02on19s

Friday, November 04, 2005 4:23 PM
I like the rendered personaly I thought after the last post I should actualy answer the question

cardomain page
Friday, November 04, 2005 4:42 PM
my god I feel like a supid pot head I'm still not getting things straight but as to paying for things like this its like anything else thing are only worth the value you place on them if its your opnion its worth your money then pay if not don't
I know its alot of work to do those things so if I was any good at it I would charge but not to the point that its outragouse but hey it take time
my point is if you think its worth your cash pay other wise find some one to do it for free

cardomain page
Friday, November 04, 2005 4:44 PM
I totally understand about charging people for a tooned version of their car if they choose, especially if the person takes the time to really make it look good, as the two examples above show. I think there should be some sort of compensation because it is so time consuming, and if you make one, there will be hundreds of people asking to do their car for free. I know if i were looking to get my car tooned, I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for a version as quality as any of the two pictured above.

Friday, November 04, 2005 4:51 PM
My simple opinion:

People should be allowed to ask for free toons because some artists dont mind depending on the member or if they like the car. Maybe consolidated into one post like the sig requests?

The assumption should definitely be that they are NOT free though. $40 is more than reasonable. We pay alot more for other "cool factor" things, and hey, what better way to show your appreciation to the artist?

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Friday, November 04, 2005 4:52 PM
I think more around $20 is fair, I've wanted z2fast4u to do mine since like last year but I just can't afford to spend more than that on a cartoon of my car. I know you guys spend alot of time on em and stuff but thats alot of money to waste on a picture.

Friday, November 04, 2005 5:31 PM
^^ agree with him

Friday, November 04, 2005 5:38 PM
Joe Schulte (JoeDM) wrote:Don't think they should be free by any means, however though I have a hard time believing anyone is willing to pay those amounts for a "tooned" version of their car.

Friday, November 04, 2005 5:41 PM
when people ask, it is up to the collective JBO to decide if they want to do it for free or not. I wouldn't have a problem with people saying, hey this is a lot of work, I'll do it for X amount of money. Now X could be $5 or $500, it's up to the person if they want to pay it or negotiate a deal. The only problem I have with people is when they come here and Exspect peoiple to do tons of work for nothing and get @!#$ty when people don't jump at their request.

Like anything else, the person doing the work is free to set any price that they want, and it's up to the person wanting said work to say yes or no.

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Friday, November 04, 2005 5:46 PM
I say yes and no, if someone wants to do one for free to be nice, cool, but I also understand it takes a lot of time to do one so I can see paying for something like that to be done.

Friday, November 04, 2005 5:54 PM
I believe it's fair... I've seen all his work he's good... I know I wouldn't want to spend that much time and get no money... as it is $40 and 10-15 hours is giving him $4 or less per hour.. now how much would u make if you were working?
Friday, November 04, 2005 6:00 PM
What Manta said is very true. I dont know one single person that would go to work for 10-15 hours and tell their boss not to pay them. Its just rediculous....Now of course you can always find someone to do it free, but is it going to be quality, I highly doubt it. Its kind of like a internship, its and amature trying to get their foot in the door.

If you disagree with what Manta said, youre a straight up idiot, seriously....Theres no arguing that time is money. Especially $4 an hour. I would like to see someone try to argue that....

-Nate (ZeeTwankyFo)

Friday, November 04, 2005 6:15 PM
Joe Schulte (JoeDM) wrote:Don't think they should be free by any means, however though I have a hard time believing anyone is willing to pay those amounts for a "tooned" version of their car.

http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/miscellaneous/60612/

Friday, November 04, 2005 6:18 PM
I post my toons up on another board to try and get some more critiques and such. Generally after I do, people will be like "well what do I have to do to get one of my car" I tell them them requirements (high res photo yada yada yada) and say that it will cost anywhere between $10 - $25 depending on the amount of detail & time put into it. Well the majority of them think $10 - $25 is worse than death oh well. If I was still into the car scene i'd be doing my own and using it on displays at car shows to have something different than others.

I'll posts some of the replies I got on the board

ShadowRuleZ wrote:

Heck, that's worth more than 10-25, although it might get you more business. I'd figure 75-100, if not more, would be more like it it it takes a couple of hours.

Edit 2: You site says it takes 5-6 hours to fully finish one? Then 10-25 is definately to low, you don't even make minimum wage on those! When I was looking into some of the guys who do this online and sell them, they were about 200-300 for computerized ones, and 300-500 for hand drawn ones.

peopleunderthe wrote:$25 is pretty cheap for a high res custom printable image. Most graphics ppl charge $40-60 an hr for work. Granted, experienced users could whip those out in about 1.5hrs... $25 still isnt bad.

as you see what people on the org charge is NOTHING compared to if you went to someone who was dubbed as a "professional" through a business.

Toon Gallery | Sig Gallery | MySpace Page
Friday, November 04, 2005 6:37 PM
There's a reason why I don't do them, being that I wouldn't do it for free & nobody here would pay a reasonable rate. Mainly not for time, but for effort & use of materials. Plus, I'm a designer for a living, I need an awful lot of money to persuade me to keep doing it when I get home. In fact the only stuff I do on here anymore besides my own are things that I do during downtime at work when I'm trying to look busy, which is almost never.

I think for a realistic rendering, if you're spending 10-15 hours on one, no offense, but you need some more skills to cut that time because there's a lot of time going to waste there. I can't possibly see that kind of time going into these things unless you're doing something way custom off the charts from what your model image is. Hourly rate in this case would be very unfair seeing as how an unskilled person takes way longer than someone who knows how to get from point A to point B the quickest.

Asking to get paid is a personal thing for me, not a rule that should be laid down. You could call this kind of stuff freelance if you will, however freelance here that has promised good pay in the past has been a super let down for me. The people here are very demanding, sometimes worse than a majority of the clients I work with & expect a lot for very little.

Friday, November 04, 2005 6:46 PM
well at first about 4 months ago i would have argued that they should be for free its helping to get the artists name out there nathaniel and i went back and forth for about a page or so but sitting down and seeing all the work that goes into it and what not i think there should be a minimal charge however the person should be able to see the work or prior work of the artist no one wants to pay for something and have it turn out like crap like a tattoo artist has a portfolio people that toon should also not just one toon but multiple toons to let the people know about your work

however something like sigs that can be wrapped up in a hour if your slow ! i dont think they should be charged for it thats just me however a thank you should be expected

Friday, November 04, 2005 7:08 PM
jason rubito(beatz) wrote:however the person should be able to see the work or prior work of the artist no one wants to pay for something and have it turn out like crap

that i agree with, which is why i tell people

"You would paypal the money once it's done, I'll show progress pics along the way to make sure it's meeting your approval and you just let me know if you'd like anything changed that way you're completely satisfied with it. Let me know if you're interested. It usually takes around 4 days or so to do since I only have a couple free hours a day."

which is copied out of a reply i sent to someone who was interested, and what i tell anyone who does contact me.

Toon Gallery | Sig Gallery | MySpace Page

Friday, November 04, 2005 7:12 PM
It's like going to get a tattoo. Your paying an artist for his Work. You wouldn't go to him and say hey I want it done for nothing or little to nothing.. Cause you get what you pay for. Personally it isn't uncommon for something to take 10-15 hours for a "tooned" But the other I don't believe is 10 to 15 hours. I could be wrong and I'm sure if I am I will be corrected. That is cheap especially if it takes more than 10 hours. Just like website design.

more to come. When I can remember it! HAHAH

Saturday, November 05, 2005 8:58 PM
i just hate random IMs asking for money from me.

if someone wants one then thats cool, but no thanks.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Saturday, November 05, 2005 9:36 PM
I dont understand how you can compare doing toons to going to work. I know at my job it is a Set time when i come in and when i leave. and it is understood how much work i need to get done. When someone does a toon for someone else, it is most likly in thier free time either after work or before work. i think paying 40 or more for a toon of a car is high. i can see maybe 10 or so. Lets say you charge someone 40 bucks for it and it turns out like crap. IS the " artist " going to give back that 40 they just spent all that time on? No. If you dont have time for it and have to squeeze it into your busy scheldule and the only motivation you have to do it is the money, then you must not be a passonite artist and should find a new hobby or " job ". Just my 2 cents, and if you want to bash, go ahead. you asked for opinions and thiers mine. Some of you guys do pretty good and some of you just need mroe practice. HAve fun

Sunday, November 06, 2005 1:01 AM
We pay for almost everthing else we want/need.

I feel if you don't want to pay for it, get a program, spend untold amount of hours getting good at it and then do it yourself --otherwise pay the artist.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search