Problems with my S/C Cavalier - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Problems with my S/C Cavalier
Sunday, November 01, 2009 10:46 AM
Quite a list but any input and help will be great, I plan to have this as a rebuild thread as time progresses, I have my cavy back at home, but i am in iraq right now and planning to rebuild as well as learn as much as i can before the time comes to bring my cavy back to the streets.

First problem, my gauge sticks sometimes meaning that the needles for RPM and Fuel will float or go past the 0 limit and the only way i know to reset it is to turn the key as if im to start my car, i have a manual so i keep hitting start without using the clutch so it counter clockwises back to the 0 limit. sometimes it will stay in place and not move at all even when the car starts. Do i have a shot dash gauge? its only RPM and Fuel that do it and very very rarely did the Speedometer do it too, but i have an OBD2 Reader so i can see the digital speed im going if my gauge fails.

Second problem, my reverse lights havent worked in a long time, im going to guess that my reverse sensor switch is broken cause my bulbs are fine and not blown at all. So usually I didnt drive the car at night cause of it.

Third problem, my stock headlights can never be alligned correctly, since my accident back in the day, well i turn the screw and i think i raised it too high and cause it to fall off the track? is it possible to permanently fall off the height screw cause my bulb aims at the ground, and my car is slightly lowered btw.

Fourth problem and most critical, the engine death. Well this was stupid on my part and the army's fault as well. When driving home i heard a clunk in my car and my power got sloppy as crap. and when ever i stopped to accelerate my front end would vibrate rigorously that the change would literally rattle out of my change holder. So i drove it and parked it that night. Next morning I drove it to quick lube on base, and got it in the air on a lift, and checked the mounts, mind you I have and RK Sport Upper and lower Solid engine mount and the vibration has been stock feeling for the last 2 years with no issues. The tech and I check the engine and tranny mounts and there was no visible damage. We took a crow bar to the mounts to try and make them move and they were solid so the mounts are not the cause of the rigorous vibration. We started the car in the air and checked to see if the exhaust was hitting the firewall and that wasnt the reason either, so something internally wrong caused this. So i drove back to my base and half way there, my engine started kicking hard and smoked up as i was on the highway cause i had to go back to work. as i was coming off the highway, i lost all power and was slowing down quickly, i had no power at all, so i popped the hood after the smoke cleared 5 minutes later, and noticed my head gasket area was soaked so i blew a head gasket and something major in my engine.

This is my story of problems but i want to rebuild my car more then anything, any input and or advice would help so much, i want to learn as much as I can, my engine is stock, and the S/C is stock configuration with no H/E and on the GM Reflash.

Re: Problems with my S/C Cavalier
Sunday, November 01, 2009 9:24 PM
Replace the gauge cluster.

Check the switch.

Do your best.

Buy a new/used engine.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search