Am I insane? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Am I insane?
Monday, October 19, 2009 12:07 AM
Ok, for those of you who don't know my car... it's the L67-powered 2000 Cavy convertible as seen in my sig. It's become my summer-only project car, which requires me to have a daily driver around for the rest of the year, rainy days and so on...
We moved last year to this townhouse... it's not huge, and parking a car over the winter is a pain because we just don't have the space. Ideally, I'd have just one vehicle that I could drive year round. So now I've decided it's really not feasible to keep the project car around... since I never work on it, I never have time anyway, and I don't feel the need to 'take it to the next level' or any of that stuff anymore. I've actually planned out all the details for a return-body-to-stock de-modding over the winter... but that's a lot of work and to what end?

So.. I put out a couple of for sale ads... no bites, but I'm likely asking way too much for it and no one in their right mind would pay that much. Doing the 3800 swap is a $5k proposition for anyone who would have to pay for it... though it's never worth that much in the end, it is definitely worth every penny when you're behind the wheel!!

Anyway... I digress. I've been offered a swap of another BC J-body member's car. I assume straight trade... but we haven't exactly worked out the full details. Basically... his car is an 03 Cavy Z24 (remember, I'm in Canada) 5 speed, full load, sunroof, leather interior, etc.... plus the GM supercharger kit. Something I could drive year-round and not worry about the roof integrity... something I could take to work and not worry about someone slashing the top... something that I could, if I needed to, probably turn around and actually sell because it's not all body-kitted and modified and so on...

So.. tell me... am I insane?

Should I even consider trading away "Christine" after all this... at least it would be going to a good friend, so I'd still see the car whenever I want... and I would take care of his car just as well as he did, I hope...

Or should I just stick with having a summer car and a winter car? "Suck it up, buddy"???

Please.. help me to decide. I'm stuck.

Re: Am I insane?
Monday, October 19, 2009 12:38 AM
honestly i'd stick with both when one is broke down you have another to drive. but that's just me and my opinion.

Monday, October 19, 2009 1:06 AM
You're not nuts..I fully support the 1 car way of life..Sure, it can be stressful is something breaks, but its much easier and cheaper..

You're not alone in this man..Its just natural progression of life..I'd be pretty happy with a 03 that is fairly stock with a charger on it, HELL YEAH!

In the end, having 2 cars costs more, and is more of a hassle to me in every sense of the word, Even though it is hard to let her go, at least you know it would be taken care of, and still see the car time to time..

As for driving the nicer car in winter..Get a extra set of wheels with strictly snow tires on them, and run them through out the winter, snow tires are a great investment, and will keep your "nicer" set crisp and clean for warm weather driving. Also, as long as you wash the car every week or two to get the salt and road grime off, you won't have a problem with rust/corrosion.

Monday, October 19, 2009 4:03 AM
Your never going to get the money, time, and sweat out of it you put into it. I say keep it.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, October 19, 2009 6:47 AM
i vote keep it ever since ive been on this site your car has been one ive looked up to

Monday, October 19, 2009 8:26 AM
John Lenko wrote:
Or should I just stick with having a summer car and a winter car? "Suck it up, buddy"???

That is what i'd do. But it all depends on what you want. If you enjoy driving around in the car on a nice summer day and really want to keep it, alittle pop up car port would work for winter storage as long as you have a place to put it.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Monday, October 19, 2009 9:09 AM
Suck it up. Keep it.

Monday, October 19, 2009 10:55 AM
doublecross wrote:when one is broke down you have another to drive.

My cars rarely break down, the last time was probably 3 years ago when my clutch went... but if they do, I've got my wife's Equinox and a bike I can resort to. And there's always public transit, eeep...

Aetsh wrote:having 2 cars costs more,

I know.. the insurance is just killing me. I'd save an extra $150 a month having one less car. I could put that towards future mods...?

Aetsh wrote:Get a extra set of wheels with strictly snow tires on them

Already got those... they'll be going on one of the cars soon!

Tinkles wrote:little pop up car port would work for winter storage as long as you have a place to put it.

That's the problem... no place to put it. I live in a townhouse complex with a strata... we have two parking spots in the carport, but any other vehicles have to be parked on the street which is a ways away. When the weather gets bad, it's nice to jump in the car in the carport instead of hiking out to the street.

Thanks folks, appreciate the replies. Between the options of parting the car out and selling it... and trading it complete for another more sleeper'ish Cav... I think I know which I'd rather do. I could always pick up another cheap 'vert one day when I have more room...

Monday, October 19, 2009 4:53 PM
awww.. id hate to see this vert get stripped down tho... id say keep the small parts like the toyo mirrors and tails. and sell me the boot cover lol... you know my vert needs some of your verts loving lol wish i cant take the kit off of your hands. i know the paint isnt Gm Red but i can fix that.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:03 AM
I already got rid of the toyo mirrors... back to stock ones. The tails are still on the car... this car I would potentially be trading for has the RK Sport CF filler panel & Toyota tails on it already... so it wouldn't be much different. The boot cover stays with the car, sorry dude

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:06 AM
considering your situation, having a winter car and a "fair weather" car just doesn't make sense.

the problem with trading cars with friends is that if something ever happened to the car, you'd always blame that friend for ruining it, and/or yourself for trading in the first place.

Check out my build thread!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:22 PM
RuggedZ wrote:considering your situation, having a winter car and a "fair weather" car just doesn't make sense.

the problem with trading cars with friends is that if something ever happened to the car, you'd always blame that friend for ruining it, and/or yourself for trading in the first place.

He does make a very good point.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:32 PM
You know how I feel John... we are no longer friends if you get rid of her!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:51 PM
I say no, John.

I would just keep it, A 4 stall garage kinda helps my situation , But I have always had a DD and a weekend car.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:01 PM
drama queen

you know where i'm parking my car this winter in my back yard i have to remove 1 8' section of my fence back the car in then put the fence back up, a pain yes but the car is too much fun to just get rid of and even tho theres talk of people doing it very few people have done it i think of all the post 2 people in the last year have started the project so really you still have a rare car and yours is a vert which no one else has

keep it

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:34 PM
keep it and just pick up a cheap honda as a dd beater

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:22 PM
come to think of it.. i actually want to sell my vert already also.. an this is no joke.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:57 PM
so how many 3800 cavs are there? in the past year or 2 i think there have been 3 new one mine issak's and matt's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:58 PM

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:38 PM
keep it, unless u wanna trade?
otherwise keep it.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:49 PM
Lenko, BC is only 12 hours away from me now, I can do that trip in a day, I will come down, kick you in the ass, and help you set up a storage area for your car.

EDIT: typing owned me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:32 PM

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:34 PM
some dude in Quebec started it all no idea if that cars still around

Raven
Lenko
Myself
Issak (really isn't new hes been doin it for a while just i got him movin again on it)
Mike
Jeff (has started some of it doin body work first tho) (car is never done always something goin on with it)
Darrens (recently sold off his stuff to some one else stay tuned)

those are the ones i know of theres a few 2nd gens like ricks old car but i thinks theres probably a dozen of them out there theres more people that have BIG DREAMS then when they realize that its not bolt in the stop then they think about the 3400 and realize then that really all they know is how to put air in there tires and an engine swap is out of there league (not centering anyone out i just get constant PMs and email about this stuff and few people have accually started it, couple are still reseaching cause they email me with legit questions that can't be found on the net but most never do it

PS i may be doin another one this winter SERIES 3 not for me tho we'll see, hasn't desided what route he wants yet

JBO since July 30, 2001

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:00 PM
yes, you are crazy, especially with that goofy hat that you wear!!

I would personally find a storage unit...but to each their own...

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:13 PM
John,

Keep it. If you are going to sell it, sell it to someone far away from you. Seeing the car will likely make you miss it, and regret it.
I do know where you are coming from with this. Having 2 cars is a bitch, really having 2 project cars is a bitch!

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:42 PM
Furious 2.2 wrote:keep it and just pick up a cheap honda as a dd beater

Heh, I already have a cheap 03 sedan as a winter beater... the key was going from two cars to one I could drive year-round....

Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:43 PM
i say keep it.

Stop making a project of the vert and just have it be the good weather toy.

It's what my vert will become once its out of project state.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search